ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Argh snapped aux tensioner square hole

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
It's completely my own fault - In the absense of a proper tool, I put a 1/4 drive extension through the little hole where the headlight usually resides, which prevents you getting the full swing of the tensioner. I'm fuming with myself to be honest after I just had to cough up to replace a 6 month old one with a broken pulley.

Any suggestions on getting this f**ker on? I really don't fancy paying out again.

I tried compressing the spring with a jubilee clip, but as tight as I got it before a little bit of it snapped, it's still not enough to get the top hole to line up (routing the belt first, and putting the top bolt for the spring in last. But I'm not sure if the spring was fully compressed or the jubilee clip just isn't strong enough here.

If there is no possible way, how much does the proper tool cost? Mot. 1368 I think?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
slacken the alternator off, take the top bolt out of it and let it drop forwards, might just give you enough

you should be using a short 3/8 extension, not 1/4

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I don't think i've ever used the stupid 8mm keyway on these tensioner units for this very reason - Don't buy the proper tool!!!

It is fine for use on other F4R vehicles but on the Clio II there's no room for it so save your cash and either make your own NASA spec tool or do as above. Personally, I find you have just enough with a genuine Renault belt (The Conti-Tech belts always seem to be 3-5mm too short) when you leave off the bottom bearing unit until the belt is correctly over the pulley run.

Mick

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I did mean 3/8, I've never been great with ratchet sizes :p

It is indeed the genuine renault belt. So if i slacken the alternator or remove the bottom idler pulley as Mick suggests, they should give me enough to get the spring fixed at the top and will be easy enough to get back in the right place?

I think I'll grab a beefier jubilee clip too.

ITB'd MK1
I don't think i've ever used the stupid 8mm keyway on these tensioner units for this very reason - Don't buy the proper tool!!!

the 3/8 (not 8mm) keyway works fine as long as the tool is a tight fit in the hole, is slotted in squarely, and the tensioner isn't seized

wouldn't dream of getting the renault tool for it though

IMAG0440.jpg

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I bought some meaty jubilee clips today. Completed in 15 minutes.

With the belt already in place, I managed to compress the spring enough to get it bolted up, a few turns off the jubilee clip, it's off and the belt is all done.

I honestly cannot see why anyone would do it any other way - I just wish I had something better than the clips from the airbox pipe last night!