ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

asked this before, but buzzing noise..

255 V6 Black Gold
fitted all my stuff in my cup

did all the usual, wires for audio down one side, remote and power down other

earth is connected to the bolt that holds rear seats down.

however when you have the stereo in theres a buzzing noise / interference.

It goes up in pitch / loudness when you jab the throttle.

Any clues what it could be? obviosuly something to do with the power because of the increased noise when you press throttle?

Anyone had this issue before / know how to resolve it?

Cheers

Mick

Megane R26
Check that power wires and speaker cables don't run close together, also bad earth. If you've got a multimeter use that to test.

J

jamesy

your getting ac ripple fella seeing as clio's generally have good surpression id say its a result of inadequate wire routing check your power lead and cars harness does'nt cross your rca at any point even in the boot, also check your earth,alternator surpressor and for amplifier failure as this can also cause this to happen are you running a ground loop at all?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Mick_172_cup said:
fitted all my stuff in my cup

did all the usual, wires for audio down one side, remote and power down other

earth is connected to the bolt that holds rear seats down.

however when you have the stereo in theres a buzzing noise / interference.

It goes up in pitch / loudness when you jab the throttle.

Any clues what it could be? obviosuly something to do with the power because of the increased noise when you press throttle?

Anyone had this issue before / know how to resolve it?

Hi Mick,
The problem sounds like interference picked up from the alternator.
There are a number of possible reasons, but mostly they come down to the location of your additional wiring.

As a general rule you should try to keep power cables and signal cables away from each other and from the cars own wiring. If you have to cross wiring looms to get to where you want, then cross them at right angles and pop a couple of thicknesses of kitchen foil between the cables.
The head unit and the amp should both be earthed properly. Dont rely on the earth on the original head units wiring alone, run a seperate thicker wire from the back of the H/U to a freshly scraped point on the chassis near the unit.
Dont use RCA cables made for cheap home Hi Fi, get proper moulded plug types made for in-car use. Keep them as short as possible. Make sure the amp is properly earthed using the correct thickness cable which should be at least as thick as the correct power cable, keep this short too.
Sometimes if you run an earth cable between the H/U and amp, this will cure it. Some RCA cables have an earth braid include in the moulding for this purpose.

One easy way to test, is to use a long piece of wire with a couple of crock clips, run the engine and tune the radio just off a station so your interference is loud, then clip one end of the cable to the Neg on the battery and try the earth on the H/U and then the amp to see if it goes. Then connect the earths on the H/U and amp.

It can take time and its easier if you have someone who can give you a hand.

Good luck, let me know how you get on:cool:

255 V6 Black Gold
thanks brian i will give that a try

i have ran the power wire down the passenger side of the car, however in enters the car through a hole created by gap when they fitted my clifford alarm. so i guess its touching some of the alarm wires? and with the alarm being connected to the car power supply maybe this could be causing interferrence?

I have all proper audio rca leads etc made for cars, and the earth is a good earth (its bolted direct to the floor of the car)

I think i will take the power lead off and run it round the outside of the car into the boot, see if this clears things up. if not i will come back here and check the other things you suggest.

Thanks

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi Mick, I dont think the alarm wiring would pick up, but its easy to check. You have got the right approach to sorting it out, so good luck.

I posted this for someone else, but might be useful if you want move the cable....

If you remove the wipers and the black plastic panel underneath them you will see just behind the washer bottle, a large rubber cover with a 10mm bolt on the end.
The other side exits into the car up behind the glove box.
You can feed your cable through the cover once you remove the insulation and sealing tape, then through the rubber grommet in front of the washer bottle.
You must put a fuse in the cable at the battery end, so the plastic wiring box next to the battery is an ideal place to locate this. Don’t forget to seal up the rubber cover before you refit the cover and wipers, or you could get water in the car.
Also keep all wiring away from the wiper arms.
DISCONECT THE NEG TERMINAL OF THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU START WORK ON THIS. IF THE WIPERS WERE TO OPERATE WHEN YOUR WORKING UNDER THIS PANEL, YOUD BE PICKING YOUR NOSE WITH YOUR TOES.

255 V6 Black Gold
brilliant,

well once i test it i will see if it clears things up?

I am hoping with it being well away from all other wires it might sort it out. Then again i made a falsh floor for my setup and the wires are all underneth, maybe some are touching each other etc. I think i am just going to have to take most of it apart one bit after another until the problem goes. Its a right annoying noise aswell. Nothing i like better than listening to music in a morning, buzzing gets on my nerves to much so i tend not to bother ha.

Thanks again brain.

F82 M4
alternator interfering. Make sure your power lead is seperate from your AUX leads. My sub "pops" when i let the revs drop cuz its not gettin enuff power :p
I would also leave it cuz it sounds like a supercharger/turbo when it whistles xD

255 V6 Black Gold
so looks like its definanatly the alternator.

Its just trying to find out where its interfering..... hate it going dark at night now, can never work on my car! ha