ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Assigning a personalised number plate!

BG 182
Good evening all, not sure if this is in the right section so slap my wrists if not :)

Anyway I purchased a private number plate a few years back and had it assigned to my old 172, had it on the car for just over 12 months, when it came to sell the car I took the plates off, bought my new car and havnt had it re-registered to my new 182..

I had a letter through the post at christmas stating that if I didnt pay to retain the plate id lose it, it cost me around £25 to retain my plates and havnt put it on my car as of yet.. To cut an even longer story short, I want to assign my plates to my car but not sure about how to do it.. Wether I need to g down there or can I do in online nowadays?

Ive tried phoning DVLA but all they keep telling me to do is visit their website (which I have done numerous times - lets just say it isnt the easiest of sites to navigate round)

Anyone on here have any ideas on what I need to do to assign my plates to my car?
Thanks in advance!

Dan

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Take your Retention certificate, MOT, tax disc and V5 to the DVLA and put the plate on your car.

BG 182
Thats brilliant! Thanks for all the feedback, just how long does it take for the plate to be regsitered on the vehicle? Like is it overnight or straight away?

Thats brilliant! Thanks for all the feedback, just how long does it take for the plate to be regsitered on the vehicle? Like is it overnight or straight away?

If you do it at a DVLA office it's instant. You'll get tax and MOT there and then. V5 will come through the post.

As for another £80, It should be free as the assignment fees should have been included in the initial cost of removing.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
When I did it, it was a normal plate > personal .. the guy asked if I had plates made up already .. I said yes (they were coming from fancyplates) gave me tax disc and MOT and I drove home disguised as the old car with a new tax disc haha !

V5 took a fortnight to come from the DVLA.

BG 182
Thats good! Hoping to get down to my local office this week so I can have my plates for FCS!

Milltek'd clio 182
go down there fella, as soon as you leave the dvla (they will give you the new tax disc) you can do your plates straight away, obviously tell your insurers, and also once you have done it remember to either send your old tax disc back to them, or they might say dispose of it and rip it up, i think i paid 105 or 110 pound now, i cant remember but i done mine two months ago i think it was.

BG 182
My dad is the nominee for the plate.. dont suppose he has to be with me does he? Or is it just the registered keeper (which is myself) Thanks for the help

BG 182
Cool thanks, just didnt want to go down there and it be a wasted journey :p thanks for everyones help, i can always rely on CS!