ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AST rebuild

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Looking to have the AST's rebuilt/refreshed soon. i know curtis can do it but from having a rather horrendous time with the chap before i was hoping there was someone else out there that could do it!

Anyone any experience or recommendations as to who else i could use?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Have you had experience with either? I may give B.A.D a call as i know a few people with custom coilovers from them, didn't think would undertake the rebuild of another suppliers product though

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes I know John, nice helpful guy.

John's going to rebuild my Teins.
John build the coilovers on the Aston race car I used to look after.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
@Cub. @Phase1sr do you have a link for J-tech, from a quick google search it brings up a company who deal with bike suspension....................is this the correct company?

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Superb mate, I'll call the above places an see what they say regarding turnaround times etc.

Ideally I would like them doing now but with trackdays already booked for August we shall see

Superb mate, I'll call the above places an see what they say regarding turnaround times etc.

Ideally I would like them doing now but with trackdays already booked for August we shall see

Could you do me a favour and update with times and prices please? :smile:
Cooksport also do ast rebuilds.

Last edited:

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I will do, waiting on a few people getting back to me early next week. Once I've heard back I shall update in here

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Ok well haven spoken to various people regarding the rebuild/refurb of the AST's, below is the various replies i received.

Black Art Designs
  • spoke to john, brilliant chap. nothing but helpful and pleasant. certainly knows his suspension
  • regarding the refurb a standard cost of £75 + VAT per shock with a 1 week turnaround, this obviously is if there are no new parts needed.
  • New parts would of course incur an additional cost

JtechAutomotive
  • again they were helpful but flat out refused to give a cost or even an estimated cost for a standard strip and rebuild of the coilover units. stated they would not an will not give any cost information unitl they had the shocks and had split them down. currently cant take any work on at all for 2 weeks
  • must point out though they seemed very knowledgeable and were very helpful with options to re-valving etc to suit my cars uses

Powerstation
  • not as helpful, seemed like they didn't have time to chat about the proposed work.
  • price wise they were £100 + VAT per shock, with a 10/14 day turnaround
  • Again new parts would incur additional cost

AST UK (Curtis)
  • Called numerous times but never got an answer, emailed an as yet have had no response (didn't expect much more tbh)
  • I then called AST in holland, and was quoted £75 + VAT for a strip and rebuild 2 week lead time from them receiving the shocks to me having them back
all of the above were carrying out the following, Change oil, Teflon strips, o-rings, shims, gas plugs as per AST instructions. Check operation, regas

So after all of the above i will be removing the AST's from the car and sending to john at Black art designs, mainly due to the lead time being more in keeping with trackdays etc i have planned. Being 100% honest i would gladly have used all of the above, with the exception of curtis due to lack of response and previous exoerinces

Clio 182
AST uk being the worst service for their own shocks....excusing the pun that's bloody shocking! Never seem to read anything good about buying/getting hold of them or after sales service even....just everyone raves how good they are.
Shame as bad customer service can put me off buying things in general, let alone a premium product that's got a premium price tag!
That's motorsport for you lol

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
It would appear dealing direct with Holland is the way forward when dealing with AST direct. Although cub said he got a rather swift delivery of his order jtech

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Just spoke to Curtis about another matter. Not had a problem getting through to him on the office number 01242 236168

My Megane coilovers took about 5-6weeks but they were a custom order.