ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ast suspension

Renaultsport Clio 197 F1
Just wondering what are they like on the road and on the track and was there an improvement over standard. As i'm looking at getting some for my R27.

John

My trusty lil 182 :)
Awesome IMHO. Soft enough on the road even with the harder spring option. Then adjust the dampers a few notches and control and adjustability on track are superb. I like :)

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Depends what spring ratings you go for.

theres a soft set which most believe are ideal for road and track then theres a hard set which are hard on the road, then theres our set which is super hard.

The back on ours are ideal we run 750 spirngs on the back IIRC, then we turn the dampers to nearly the stiffest they will go.

We run 450 or 400 springs on the front, and personally i find thhese to hard, we ve been having a bit to much understeer in slow corner, but we ve alsso had issuse recently with camber bolts. So we now have AST top mount so this may help the understeer, but we will see at the next track day.

Ps driving our car on the road is like driving with no suspension at all its very hard, but i guess you d opt of the soft spirng set.

Now to await fred........................

Mk2 172
Depends what spring ratings you go for.

theres a soft set which most believe are ideal for road and track then theres a hard set which are hard on the road, then theres our set which is super hard.

The back on ours are ideal we run 750 spirngs on the back IIRC, then we turn the dampers to nearly the stiffest they will go.

We run 450 or 400 springs on the front, and personally i find thhese to hard, we ve been having a bit to much understeer in slow corner, but we ve alsso had issuse recently with camber bolts. So we now have AST top mount so this may help the understeer, but we will see at the next track day.

Ps driving our car on the road is like driving with no suspension at all its very hard, but i guess you d opt of the soft spirng set.

Now to await fred........................

Like driving with no suspension!!!! PMSL.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Wimps, theres nothing wrong with it. Get them revalved.

they have been revalved. Its more the fact the bucket seat with 1 inch of padding and bolted directly to the floor. not exactly comfy for long distances.

bareing in mind i drive a standard 172 on the road

carl

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Build quality spot on, rears spot on. Front's too firm for my taste, but it's a personal thing, and they can be valved/sprung to your preference.

Mk2 172
they have been revalved. Its more the fact the bucket seat with 1 inch of padding and bolted directly to the floor. not exactly comfy for long distances.

carl

are urs the race ones off the white car? fmp??

Mk2 172

carl

I understand the track car feel. Mine is identical. No interior, seat bolted to floor, crap seat padding lol. Its a firm ride. Good on track tho which is why i gave the stiffer setup a test

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
I understand the track car feel. Mine is identical. No interior, seat bolted to floor, crap seat padding lol. Its a firm ride. Good on track tho which is why i gave the stiffer setup a test

yeah what sort of spring rate/ride height do you run all around?

i think with abit of tweaking they will be perfect :)

carl

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
ah i see. Alot firmer than even the stiff setup then!! Thats why lol.

Defo not for road use at all then.

Yep the "stiff" setup is like 400/450 on the rear, our are 750 on the rears, we run 450 on the front currently. it is really stiff.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
ah i see. Alot firmer than even the stiff setup then!! Thats why lol.

Defo not for road use at all then.

LOL stiff isnt the word :p ive knocked the ride height up abit and its helped with comfort but will be getting them fully setup in the near future just have a few things to get sorted first :)

BMW E30 325iiiiii
ASTs and sportlines are a different thing.

Sportlines are a spring kit made by Eibach, AST are a fully adjustable coilover set.

Oh Rly....

152nc5k.jpg

Mk2 172
yeah what sort of spring rate/ride height do you run all around?

i think with abit of tweaking they will be perfect :)

carl

I still run the 450lb f and 400lb r. Car isnt too low as i find it rubs on the body of the car on hard cornering. You cant hear it but means that there is no travel left in the shock as the wheel is physically rubbing the body of the car. Bit of a pain as all this will do is induce understeer.
The front have been revalved with loads more rebound which has helped alot and next week i am having the rears done which im sure will improve it again.
Mite try a softer spring on the front but dont want it too soft.
Think 350lb will be too soft.
Want i want to get rid of most of all is the roll feeling u get when initially turning into a corner. Need to change the roll centre of the car.
Ive been told by curtis that the best way to do this is to replace the front bottom arms for the longer ones that i believe the cup racers have. Also going to run alot more castor on the front and run more camber on the rear by using washers behind the rear hub.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
I still run the 450lb f and 400lb r. Car isnt too low as i find it rubs on the body of the car on hard cornering. You cant hear it but means that there is no travel left in the shock as the wheel is physically rubbing the body of the car. Bit of a pain as all this will do is induce understeer.
The front have been revalved with loads more rebound which has helped alot and next week i am having the rears done which im sure will improve it again.
Mite try a softer spring on the front but dont want it too soft.
Think 350lb will be too soft.
Want i want to get rid of most of all is the roll feeling u get when initially turning into a corner. Need to change the roll centre of the car.
Ive been told by curtis that the best way to do this is to replace the front bottom arms for the longer ones that i believe the cup racers have. Also going to run alot more castor on the front and run more camber on the rear by using washers behind the rear hub.

aye cup racers use the different box with different shafts too so getting longer bottom arms would not work with the standard shafts i dont believe (not 100% though)

Ive been looking at the rear camber too. Problem is i have more camber on one side to the other so it would be hard to get it similar on each side.

I run a slight tow out with 2.5neg on the front. I dont get much roll with the turn in but do suffer for understeer. Problem is i dont think i will ever become 100% happy LOL not possible i dont think

carl

Lionel Richie
the AST rears on the 172/182's are 95% perfect, the fronts however are the issue

overall they're about 75% "there" could be perfect but not quite there yet, more R&D required in my (and others) opinion

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm running over 2 for normal road use. Set-up using epically expensive equipment.

Mk2 172
Surely you could run more than 2.5 degree camber on a track car?

for what reason tho?? More camber doesnt mean better even on a track car. The only way to tell if u need more camber is start with tyre temperatures, measuring the temp across different parts of the tyre.

Mk2 172
the AST rears on the 172/182's are 95% perfect, the fronts however are the issue

overall they're about 75% "there" could be perfect but not quite there yet, more R&D required in my (and others) opinion

I agree in some ways but u are comparing them to the setup on a cup racer as u once sadi which is a different thing alltogether.

As I own a set and track them occasionally so I thought I would throw my 2 pence worth in.

11.jpg

I am a bit of a softie compared to some - subsquently I don't like things to loud, to hard etc - think silenced decat ;) makes the car more bearable with the mileage I do (30k in 6 months)

This was one of the reasons why I picked up a set as I had heard they are very well damped, great adjustability and offer a good balance between ride quality and handleing.

I am running the firm setup 450lb fronts / 400lb rears and they have been revalved to suit this setup. To be totally honest with you I have no real criticism except a critical part failure that happened on the second day of ownership...

12.jpg

However great customer service from powerstation and free replacement parts meant I can't really complain.

On the road I find them fantastic; comfortable & very balanced, predictable handleing - exactly what a good set of road coillies should do in my opinion.

Like Dan I don't run my car silly low as the front shocks seem to use quite a lot of stroke especially when leant on in a fast/bumpy bends, this causes rubbing where other sets my such as FK's I frequently drive on won't, even if they are lower - however the FKs tend to "bounce" sideways on anything but smooth tarmac mid bend due to the minimal stroke / high rebound often needed when run so low where as the ASTs stay smooth and keep the car on line.

This is by and by at the end of the day as "slamming" a car as low as it will go on a good set of well damped road coillies deafeats the purpose of buying them in the first place as I am sure you all know.

The one piece damping/rebound adjustment means you can never really do anything to properly mess them up setting wise and keeps the adjustment simple to expierment with.

For track use I found them fantastic, I haven't got the track expierence to tell you they are the best etc, as I along with 99% of people on here use the car on the road for the majority of the time - excelling on a track is just a bonus. I have experimented with the settings at both Brands and Snetterton and have found that wound up harder they were smooth & predictable, just sharper due to the stiffened damping. Too much damping on the fronts with the 450lb spring does seem to induce a lot of understeer, especially when exiting a bend & putting the power down.

Thats about all I can tell you if I am honest, I can't go into to much detail about this and that as it really is an art getting the most out a good set of shocks and I don't have the expierence to acheive what some could, but as Coilies go out of all of the sets I have driven on/riden in they strike a perfect day to day balance for me.

Mk2 172
Cool, sounds like u feel the same way about them as i do then.
The damping/ spring weights as weve all said before are personal preference. If u are only going to use the car for road use and take it on a track once or twice a year then have the soft setup imo :)

Lionel Richie
not comparing to just the cup racers, comparing to all the german stuff generally which all have a softer setup overall

Renaultsport Clio 197 F1
Thanks for everyone comments and opinions. I think i'll go with ast. All i've got to do now is save up £2k.

John

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As said by many, it's a very personal thing. My advise would be to try any set-ups you can on other people's cars to get a feel for what you want.

Tav

Clio 197
Why do people get them revalved? Are they not adjustable damping or is it to really effect a large change?