ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AST top mount, bilstein b14 install, fitting problem

Clio II Ph1
I'm having issues fitting the AST top mounts to the Bilstein B14 shaft. One of the parts supplied just doesn't seem to make sense. In other posts others have said as much and though I've read much relating to the issue, I am still unaware of any solution. Is anyone?

To help clarify the problem I've uploaded a dodgy video.

Looking forward to your responses :)

Sean.

[youtube]V5SpAz9Sg4A[/youtube]

Clio II Ph1
the inner lip (1) prevents the part from sliding down the smooth part of the shaft. If the lip wasn't there the part could slide down (apparently some people have removed this inner lip)

If the lip was removed it would mean the lower protrusion would create a gap between the two parts. Is this how it is supposed to be? Are you saying the sping load would push the lower black plastic part up the shaft thereby eliminating the gap?
HA2P2758-edit1.jpg

Clio II Ph1
I cleaned up the inside of the top bearing and wound it down. The inner lip wasn't an issue at all and It all seems to fit fine now. It sits flush on top of the main shaft ledge and when the spring is wound up it all makes sense.

No need for any machining at all.

RS172 PH1
Just about to fit some AST top mounts and B14's myself next week. Was having alook at how things will all fit together today, other than the problem you've had I've also noticed that the nut supplied with the AST's doesn't seem to have the same thread pitch as the B14's do, how did you get around that ? did you just use the nyloc supplied with the B14's instead of the one supplied with the top mounts ?

Clio II Ph1
You're right about the different thread pitch. I had a local machine shop to whip up a copy of the AST nuts with the thread from the B14. Make sure you get stainless HT steel. I think they cost me about AU$40 each...

RS172 PH1
Thanks for the info, as far as the rest of the top mount goes did you have any other issues ?

Clio II Ph1
The black metal AST part that sits on the B14 shaft needed to be bored out a fraction. And the internal flange on the same part needed to be machined back a little to allow the part to sit down flush on the b14 shaft... That was about it i think. Make sense?

RS172 PH1
Thanks again, not 100% sure which piece your referring to as I don't have them in front of me atm but from memory from bottom up there is the black spring top, then a black plasticy bearing piece, then a small shim like piece that sits on top of that, then the actual solid mount top and finally the nut to hold it all together.