ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AST topmounts help

106 GTI
18032009059.jpg

After I was told this was wrong I decided to whip the shock back off to try it without the hat, just mounting straight to the AST mount

22032009065.jpg

I have had this back on the car but once it was all back in position it just didnt look right. I could also move the spring up and down

As you can see in the pic also the spring dosnt seat properly into the hat

Any tech gurus about who can show me some light?

Qashcow
what suspension are you using with the topmounts? looks like the part which locates the spring isnt the right size and would need machining to counter for this

106 GTI
Im running gaz and they was machined for these ( or should of been ).

In the first pic though the spring dosnt move up or down whereas in the second there would be loads of play

Chocolate Bar™
the second pic is 'correct' however the black tophat should locate into the spring. but it looks too big so may need to be remachined or replaced.

106 GTI
Just emailed Kamracing to see if he can read this thread, hopefully have an update this week

The top hat should sit inside the spring. It might be a tight fit. There should be no fitment issue as AST parts are for standard coilover spring sizes so there should be no issue with that.
What spring length are you using and how far are you lowering the car?

Kev

106 GTI
Im not sure on the spring length, I did try some persuasion with a hammer and it still wouldnt fit

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Well not all coilover springs are 2.5" I'd! I didn't think the machining had anything to do with the weight plate fitting as springs come in set sizes 2", 2.5", 2.25" etc and that machining was to do with the bore of the main insert before thread!

You have lost about 45mm when removing the tapered Gaz plate, so you would need to compress the spring to counter that.

The first pic looks fine to me! You cant account for viaration in spring I.D if not!

But I haven't fitted mine yet! So could be wrong!

powey who told you the first pic was the wrong way round? as from knowing nothing about these, the first pic looks correct to me if i was winging it!

jamie

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
the first pic doesnt look right to me, but then what do i know? curtis will clear it up

also you have the top nut on the wrong way round in the first pic ;)

i think it would look right if the nut was correct and the top hat was pushed into the top hat of the topmounts, properly.

but wtf do i know lol, just guessing here, hope ben knows for tomorrow lolzers

106 GTI
Top nut was only holding it together, thats all the pieces tight together i.e the spring is sat into to hat then this is sat on the top mount

Looks as though the asts are short enough though whereas I have about 2in extra

Last edited:
  Qashcow
FK konigsports yep.

powey, dont worry i knew the nut was only holding it together. in theory i believe the ast top hat is designed for a 60mm spring which the AST/ FK/ and other makes of spring are. by the looks of it, the GAZ use a slightly smaller spring

106 GTI
GHA​
= Adjustable height, adjustable damping with 2.25 inch/57 mm internal diameter race coil

springs to lower from 30-60mm

Just taken from dampertech, seems I need to get them machined