ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aston Martin vs. Pink Corsa

Lionel Richie
probably the owner saying that because its been in a small bump, only needs a door, the rear 1/4's pulling out, the passenger door sorting, both sideskirts and 2 rear wheels plus maybe a little rear suspension work plus paint call it £20K of damage, its still an £70K car!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
probably the owner saying that because its been in a small bump, only needs a door, the rear 1/4's pulling out, the passenger door sorting, both sideskirts and 2 rear wheels plus maybe a little rear suspension work plus paint call it £20K of damage, its still an £70K car!

My post in the other thread explained that it's not a monetary thing mate.

The fact is, if it was my car they would be fixing it and giving me it back.

The car wasn't full of filler nor did it have previous paintwork when I bought it and then parked it at the petrol station.

Therefore i'll accept a cheque to go and purchase a straight DBS like for like and you can play with the salvage all day long. Thank you.

It would surprise you the precedents that have been set in the insurance industry.

bg182ff
im guessing where the corsa hit the aston in the centre it buckled the chassis but at the end of the day its a car if the aston wasn't there she would of gone straight in to the pumps and the whole garage would of gone up!!! and then it would of been such a diffrent story!!!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I doubt the garage would have went up. It's not a Hollywood film.

Oh and the chassis isn't bent. To bend a chassis from that angle the driver's door would need to be in the centre console.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Of all the things to hit your supercar...

I'm going to start using the pumps furthest away from road.

S4 Avant
To be fair to the aston driver, with the amount of publicity surrounding that particular car, it would damage the resale price of the car massively.

The number plates of the car have been hidden by the press, but I imagine anyone wanting to buy a used, black DBS, will make sure the car they buy isn't this one.

In that respect I'd want the car written off as well.

172 Cup
My post in the other thread explained that it's not a monetary thing mate.

The fact is, if it was my car they would be fixing it and giving me it back.

The car wasn't full of filler nor did it have previous paintwork when I bought it and then parked it at the petrol station.

Therefore i'll accept a cheque to go and purchase a straight DBS like for like and you can play with the salvage all day long. Thank you.

It would surprise you the precedents that have been set in the insurance industry.

Surely thats for the insurance company to decide?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Lol at the Daily Mail quoting 2 different values for it!

That b**ch deserves to be put in prison on 3 counts,
Pink Corsa
Pink hair
Driving like a t**t.

Clio 172
Lols. Oh so nieve my young Jedi.

So on what assumption are you working? That an insurance company would rather write a cheque out to replace and Aston than write a smaller cheque out to repair the car? Not really sure how the owner can argue that the car is a write off at even £35k of damage the car is still more economic to repair than write off and I doubt very much the fault claimant's insurance company is going to say 'yes we have admitted full liability so to keep you happy here is a cheque for a new DBS'. If that was the case then our premiums would be more like £1000 a month to subsidise every rich t**t who has a prang and decides as it's an astonporscheferraribentley that they want a new car 'because it just won't be the same'.

Utter rubbish.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! Yes indeed I know nothing.

I also don't assume anything.

S2H

RS Clio 200
It's not always monetary value of the repairs that decides whether its a write off or not. For example my previous car was a category B write off after a women hit me head on. The repairs would have not cost loads but the fact that there was suspension damage and the air bags went off normally means write off however much the car is worth.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I don't see why the Aston will be replaced if it can be repaired much cheaper. It's the responsibility of the owner and insurer to mitigate cost. You can't just inflate the price of the claim by demanding a new car when your current one gets a bit dented. Especially as the 3rd party isn't insured.

I know you're very knowledgable about this gally so I'd like to know why he would be allowed to do this?

My mates Veyron was written off when he mounted the kerb and broke part of the suspension. Air bag went off. Brand new Veyron at the scrap yard :(

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not saying it won't. The fact is he is the 3rd party at no fault. People seem to be glossing over this fact.

Maybe they should pay him compensation for loss of value in the car if it does indeed need a new 1/4 panel?

A bit of paintwork I could maybe accept. Invasive surgery on the structural panels of my DBS because someone else hit me? I don't think so.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's not always monetary value of the repairs that decides whether its a write off or not. For example my previous car was a category B write off after a women hit me head on. The repairs would have not cost loads but the fact that there was suspension damage and the air bags went off normally means write off however much the car is worth.

Come again? The suspension and air bag would have been included in the cost of the repairs. Ie the repairs came to more than 130% value of the car. Cat B for eg. It wasn't a write off just because the airbag went off or suspension was damaged.

If I had a pound for every seat airbag on a mk2 Clio we replaced! Most sensitive on the planet.

rs 182
photo (5).JPG

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I normally find insurance companys quite understanding .......... ha , they will take the most cost effective option ,sod everyone else.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You guys are missing a totally key point. This guy was not at fault.

NOT AT FAULT.

There is such a thing also as constructive total loss. I've seen cars written off at 25-30-40% of the value of the car.

You really need to get out of the whole insurance straight forward side of things and delve deeper. I'm not saying things like this because it's just what I would want. The fact is i've seen it happen.

In this case the guy will probably already be in a £350 a day hire car and his car will be off getting repaired somewhere maybe approved by Aston maybe not. He'll be happy.

I don't know the guy, he might know all the issues that repairs can bring or he might not care and just see it as a car with a shiny body and a brag badge.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'll give you an example. I've seen cars total lossed because a part was no longer available. Ie the repairs might be £1000 the car could be 10k in value. They could total loss the car using constructive total loss and get good salvage.

People forget the salvage value. Some are as high as 40% on contracts between insurance and salvage companies.

S2H

RS Clio 200
Exactly! That was my point you must have misread what I said. All I was saying is that there are numerous reasons why they might write it off even if it only appears to be a small amount of damage. It just varies from claim to claim :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah but you said the repairs weren't bad cost wise it was the airbag and suspension that wrote it off. It made zero sense really.

Just so you know neither of those not including the cost could write a car off.

S2H

RS Clio 200
Sorry I must have not come across right, I meant they would have been included.

im just saying what the expert assessor told me. He said that most of the time if all the airbags have gone off or there is suspension damage it would amount to a total loss.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Of course, that makes sense being the most expensive parts on the car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It'll be repaired, simple!

Without a doubt that car is getting repaired and going back on the road, the only question is if thats instead of being a write off or after its written off and flogged on.

Experience days love buying up a write off and repairing them I believe, doesnt effect them and means they get it cheaper!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
none of the customers notice the wangli/nokian tyres either ;)

Flol, I suppose that if anything it means that can get nearer to the edge at lower speeds so probably enjoy it more that way, so not really a bad thing.

People are so cost focused when choosing these days out that it means when you run them you must have to be cost focused too.

Lionel Richie
we run them with naff tyres on the front and good ones on the back so if they go in a bit hot they understeer, s**t they're pants, lift off and the good tyres on the back sort it all out

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
we run them with naff tyres on the front and good ones on the back so if they go in a bit hot they understeer, s**t they're pants, lift off and the good tyres on the back sort it all out

That makes perfect sense TBH, certainly woudlnt want 888s on the front and nankangs on the back, lol

Clio 172 rep
Cudnt be bother reading all the other comment so not sure if sum1 already put it, but this was on the sun the other day on the front page if i remember correctly haha