ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Astra H Sporthatch

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Well what can I say really, it's an Astra (awaits Vauxhall hating crowd!)

Top spec with all the toys, 18k Miles, New set of Goodyear tyres, Auto everything etc. Very happy with it! Got my years no claims soon and wanted a flasher car now I have to do motorway driving and also have a good job so can afford it.

Its a 1.6 Ecotec (115BHP) and to me it feels like a racing car, you put your foot down and there's so much more usable power than the 1.2 had! Very happy with it, got it serviced and MOT'd as part of the deal, had one issue when I picked it up and thats that the wipers hit the A-Pillar. Took it straight back and they're replacing the wiper linkage and motor, and then the blades all free of charge. Excellent service! Anyway, here's the car looking all shiny.

r0y3ph.jpg

RB Clio 182
My mate had one of these for four years and didnt have a single problem with it.

I used to beat him in my 1.4 zr tho lol.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I can't say I'm a fan.

But it certainly looks tidy & the mileage is good.

Glad you're happy with it mate :)

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
My mate had one of these for four years and didnt have a single problem with it.

I used to beat him in my 1.4 zr tho lol.

Haha, didn't want to get anything too powerful as safety first and all that! Glad he didn't have any problems with it :) Planning a couple of subtle mods more for usability than anything, firstly the washers are like the standard Clio ones, but you can fit Insignia ones easy with no modification they just slot out and new ones slot in, then you get a nice foamy mist instead. They're going to fit them for me tomorrow when the linkage is done too.

RB Clio 182
Haha, didn't want to get anything too powerful as safety first and all that! Glad he didn't have any problems with it :) Planning a couple of subtle mods more for usability than anything, firstly the washers are like the standard Clio ones, but you can fit Insignia ones easy with no modification they just slot out and new ones slot in, then you get a nice foamy mist instead. They're going to fit them for me tomorrow when the linkage is done too.

I had these on my vxr's, a lot better than the standard streaks of piss they squirt out :approve:

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I had these on my vxr's, a lot better than the standard streaks of piss they squirt out :approve:
Good to know! Pretty much the only mod I'm planning at the moment bar the chilled glovebox (can be added for 1.50 on a glovebox switch...), and maybe some LED bulbs.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Really nice car for an 18 year old, I had an E Plate VW Polo covered in real rust, unintentional rat look, so much rust a headlight fell out one night and was dangling in place by the wire. Dashboard used to shake so bad it was a blur at anything above 70mph and as it was only 4 speed, it'd rev like the clappers at 70mph, great car.

Despite this Astra being a nice car for a kid, its got the most optimistic name ever as its about as sporty as Sporty Spice. Also, if I had the cash for a car like this at 18 and wanted something sensible, it'd be going on the equivalent 1.6 Focus, which despite still not being sporty, would be much more fun to drive.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Really nice car for an 18 year old, I had an E Plate VW Polo covered in real rust, unintentional rat look, so much rust a headlight fell out one night and was dangling in place by the wire. Dashboard used to shake so bad it was a blur at anything above 70mph and as it was only 4 speed, it'd rev like the clappers at 70mph, great car.

Despite this Astra being a nice car for a kid, its got the most optimistic name ever as its about as sporty as Sporty Spice. Also, if I had the cash for a car like this at 18 and wanted something sensible, it'd be going on the equivalent 1.6 Focus, which despite still not being sporty, would be much more fun to drive.

I see you're a Ford fan ;) tbh I think the whole Astra vs Focus is personal opinion really, everyone argues for their own one! Personally I prefer the Astra, looks sportier to me, got offered a better deal on one, and heard nothing but good from people who own the same car (two neighbours!) so I went for the Astra. Been in a Focus and they're a nice car, just for me preferred the Astra.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't something smaller with a decent engine have been better, zetec s, SRI?

I liked the Astra Sri with the XP pack but that's about it on that Astra.

We have one of these but the diesel version and I can honestly say that we have had no end of problems with the thing.....

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
I see you're a Ford fan :wink: tbh I think the whole Astra vs Focus is personal opinion really, everyone argues for their own one! Personally I prefer the Astra, looks sportier to me, got offered a better deal on one, and heard nothing but good from people who own the same car (two neighbours!) so I went for the Astra. Been in a Focus and they're a nice car, just for me preferred the Astra.

Nah not a Ford fan at all tbh, I have a Mondeo but its a company car and best in its class, hence the Ford in my avatar. Personal opinion in terms of looks of both cars, but for driver involvement, fun to drive and handling its pure fact that the Astra is nowhere near as good as the Focus. Fair enough though, that Astra is much nicer then any car I had at that age.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Walked out of work yesterday to quite a cool looking sight on the roof...
21e5isp.jpg

Not sure if that's what "beading" is or not to be honest! Just thought it looked pretty cool. The bonnet had some turtle wax I got given as a present on it (had to use it they were there at the time!)
6sasjr.jpg

But anyway less about water more about the car. When I bought the car (you can see from the first pic in this thread) the bottom grill hadn't been put in quite right and had a little bump in it for some reason, so VX agreed to replace the grill FOC for me. Yesterday I went in and they promptly removed the grill, and the grill surround then set about unwrapping the new one. All was well until they realised the new grill surround was missing, and they can't reuse the old one. So until Saturday morning, the car looks like this...
r8vvxx.jpg

They had the grill by yesterday afternoon but I had to be back at work, and no times they had free suited me until Saturday morning :(. As the car was looking a bit sad with no grill, I bought it a present on the way home from the garage in Halfords. Will be using this at the weekend to make the paint super smooth like glass hopefully.
2vjodjk.jpg

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I had an Astra when I was 17 too and bloody loved it. Mine was the 1.8 Astra G, felt like a rocketship!

Though at 18 you've no excuses, that's when I had my PH1!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I had an Astra when I was 17 too and bloody loved it. Mine was the 1.8 Astra G, felt like a rocketship!

Though at 18 you've no excuses, that's when I had my PH1!
Haha ;) Newer and bigger is the way forward for me! Stripped out PH1 track car when I can afford it! This is just a 1.6 but still feels quick compared to the 1.2 and cruising on the motorway is a dream!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Well I haven't updated this in a while, not a lot has happened just a few little bits...
Removed the 1.6 badge of the back as I was bored of it being filthy and impossible to clean, plus think it looks cleaner. At least I don't have a 1.4 and I'm trying to make it look faster ;)
a31tvk.jpg

Once this was done I gave the car a clean, the DVLA hadn't put the number plates on yet though so this had to wait.
xkr3tv.jpg

Snowfoamed the car then jetwashed it off, then handwashed with a lambswool wash mitt and two buckets. Need to get grit guards though soon. Then tried out my Farcela G3 clay mitt, a great idea I must add! Works very well and made the paintwork like glass. Then applied some SRP and then a coat of EGP for protection. Noticed a few imperfections on the paint, so need to order a touchup pen for some stone chips, the car has very little scratches but a few swirls. The main bit that bugs me is this small patch on the rear quarter, it comes off easily with some Megs 205 and leaves the paint perfect, no idea what it is though.
1znq2v7.jpg

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
New grill was fitted since I last updated this, looks perfect now. Linkage was replaced the wipers under warranty, think I mentioned this. Also now running Insignia washer jets which mist, very good upgrade for a few quid. When they did the linkage they filled the car up with fuel and put on some new genuine GM wiper blades for me. They didn't do the back blade though which I wasn't happy with as it squeaked a little, so a trip to ECP later and...
zvs8ph.jpg

While I was there I picked up a new Pollen/Cabin filter, just to keep the cabin air fresh for those long journeys when using the aircon and heater. I had looked on line and saw you can get a standard foam filter, and a "carbon infused anti allergen" filter, with only a few quid between them I went for the carbon filter, apparently it is much better at removing smells and pollen from the air which should make the cabin a nicer place to be in the summer.
e68z7p.jpg

Unwrapped the new filter, it looks grey already because of the carbon. But probably not as black as the old one will be! Don't think its been changed in a couple of years.
2dqnhts.jpg

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
The weekend came, time for some jobs. The wheel nuts have plastic covers on them to hide them, they are currently matt black but have faded a bit, so I wanted to tidy them up and fancied them in gloss black. I took them off and sanded them down until perfectly smooth, applied a few coats of primer and then several coats of gloss black. Once the black was dry I applied several coats of clear lacquer, I still want to wet sand and polish them up to make them really shine though.
rby26q.jpg

I then spent some of the day cleaning up the engine bay, it had been cleaned by Vauxhall before I picked it up but nowhere near good enough for my OCD clean standards... Used some Demon Clean APC I had, which is excellent stuff and has alot of cleaning power. Sprayed this on liberally and agitated with a professional detailers brush (read paint brush with some duct tape on the metal bit to stop it scratching anything). Left it for a little while, then wiped it all up with an old towel. Applied some more APC, agitated again with the brush and then wiped this up with a microfibre cloth. Once this was all dry, I applied some trim blackener and this was the result.
a292tw.jpg

Very happy with how it's come out, need to get some revive though the poundland trim blackener doesn't last long. Works pretty well though!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Having spent some time on the VXR forum, which is a very friendly place but not as good as CS! I found you can retrofit the cooled glovebox optional extra with only the valve and the missing pipe... everything else is there on the car already. The chilled air comes from just after the aircon compressor, but before the heater matrix so no matter what temperature the climate control is set at, the glovebox air is always going to be cold.
s2f77b.jpg

So, a trip to Vauxhall later and I had the parts I needed, both the hose and the valve/switch. Didn't get a photo of the hose/pipe, but if anyone's interested they can PM me for more info about how to retrofit it, not going to write a tutorial on a Clio forum for an Astra though for obvious reasons! The switch:
2n84gte.jpg

15mek9i.jpg

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Another weekend came, the final weekend before I was due to go off on a training week with work to Bedford which would be adding a few miles to the car! I was really hoping my number plate authorisation from the DVLA would arrive before I left, as I really wanted to get the new plates on. The day before I was due to go (Saturday), I was busy cleaning the car ready for the trip and the postman arrived with the DVLA letters! I didn't get a photo until I got to the training centre, but here's the car clean with my new personalised plates on. I got them for my 18th, used to have them on the Clio.
xnt6s1.jpg

The plates were awkward to fit, the front of the car is a V shape, so the plate has to be bent slightly. I did this by putting the plate on the top of a dettol bottle with the bottle right in the middle, then bending the plate down on either side. This worked perfectly, luckily the plates are aluminium backed. Very handy! As always, I ordered the plates from @MarcR. They arrived very fast, alot faster than the DVLA! Marc even gave a second front one I assume incase I messed that one up fitting it.

I also took by far my favourite photo so far of the car, below.
6pqfme.jpg

So, away I went for a week and didn't even look at the car really for the whole week, it just stayed parked on its own at the back of the car park. (can't be too careful against dings!)

Swift Sport
I think you're the most sensible eighteen year-old I've ever come across... So much so that I thought your avatar was actually you. It's nice to see though, even though you're applying all that attention to detail on a Vauxhall. Does look shiny though :smile:

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
@gayphool or is it @Typhoon can't really remember... gotta save some posts for tommorow ;) maybe tommorow ill have some pics of the box fitted and some other stuff I've done.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Haha thanks I think. I am pretty sensible most of the time I suppose :wink: I like the attention to detail... The way I see it the neater and smarter it is the more ill cherish it and the less ill drive it too fast! Bit OCD when it comes to keeping it spotless too, if you've ever seen the transporter films then remember, "the man is only as good as the car he drives, look after the car and the car will look after you"! :wink: great films.
I think you're the most sensible eighteen year-old I've ever come across... So much so that I thought your avatar was actually you. It's nice to see though, even though you're applying all that attention to detail on a Vauxhall. Does look shiny though :smile:

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I could've given you the a/c bit for the glovebox. Exactly the same as used in my old vectra.
Nice to see Vauxhall have moved on! [emoji38]
Think I've still got my trade card at Vauxhall too. I love their screenwash!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
@Ste Burns yeah it is, luckily I have more hair than Jason statham though at 18! I suppose I am pretty sensible really, always had major attention to detail, but being sensible means I'm the only one I know with a nice car!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Moved on like Renault where the cruise control dash switch is the same in the mk2 clio and mk3? And also fits in the ancient laguna? ;) I have a vauxhall trade account also, so the glovebox thing was pretty cheap. Only a couple of quid. Whats their screenwash like? I use asda basic stuff, find it works really well mixed 50% cleans brilliantly and smells amazing.
I could've given you the a/c bit for the glovebox. Exactly the same as used in my old vectra.
Nice to see Vauxhall have moved on! [emoji38]
Think I've still got my trade card at Vauxhall too. I love their screenwash!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Well, I fitted the refrigerated glovebox @Typhoon and it works well, very cold when you leave it on for a while! The valve slides to the left or right and opens and shuts the airway, so you can leave the glovebox at normal temp if you want to. I am going to have it normally turned off, as I keep my charger etc. in there. Cooling will be for longer journeys.
x2w4mq.jpg

While I had the glovebox out, I replaced the pollen filter. What a PITA its such a tight gap and a huge filter! Replaced it with the new carbon one I had bought. The old one was a bit of a state as you can see...
108747a.jpg

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Right, been a while! Just got the car back from VX a few days ago after a new gearbox. As some of you may know who read my thread about it, there wasn't really anything wrong with it, I mentioned it crunched once going into reverse and they rung me up a few hours later to say the warranty had approved a new box... New box does feel tighter though so quite happy with that. Only other update I really have is I have colour coded my roof trims, they were a black plastic now they're black sapphire like the car. Not turned out as smooth and perfect as I'd hoped, but still look very smart IMO.

Just hit the 25K miles mark, looking into a few things next.
18" Penta alloys/VXR alloys
LED SMD conversion for the dash in white, looks insane in photos and even better in person.

I also have a large roll of 4D carbon fibre, not sure what to do with it though? Ideas?