ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Astra mk4 GSI and 172 comparison...

Mk4 .:R32
Said I'd put up a comparison once I'd done a few more miles in my GSI. Sold the flamer to a fellow member on here (cliolou). I miss it, but not as much as I'd thought. I'd had it knocking on 2 years and spent loads on it (coilovers, wheels, brakes, cam belt, alternator, spoiler, splitter etc etc...it all adds up). I was getting tired of the rattles, hard ride and loud exhaust. So had a scout around for something fairly cheap, more powerful, more comfortable and with a decent history.

So decided on an Astra GSI turbo. Not the most powerful 2.0 turbo ever made, but my mate used to have an SRI-Turbo which is practically the same car, and I liked that. Went to view the best one I could find on autotrader (38k miles, heated leather recaros, had timing belt/water pump done recently, remapped to 235-240bhp and 290-300lb ish of torque, mot done in dec and was less than 6k). Decided I wanted the one I went to see and picked it up 3 days later.

So anyway, to the important bit.

Engine Performance

I've said previously, 0-60 I doubt it's any faster than the clio. A lot of people hide behind torque/bhp figures, but it's all about traction and getting the power down. A drag race at this time of year with the roads being wet, the clio would edge it, when it's dry the GSI would definitely pull a fair few lengths to 100+. On the motorway the GSI is really good, put your foot down in 5th and it has plenty of torque for overtaking etc. The air flow meter is screwed at the minute on my astra (apparently a very common problem with the Z20LET engine), going to be replacing that this week and cleaning the panel filter, from reading the astra owners forum, it should slightly improve MPG and power delivery (feels jerky and a bit...weird at the moment)

GSI - 7/10
172 - 7/10

Handling

The GSI has been lowered on Eibach springs (50mm/30mm). The clio was lowered on H&Rs but was set up for looks rather than performance (max at the rear and about 55/60mm at the front). The clio was more chuckable as you could imagine, but it was so stiff, going over minor bumps did my head in. I don't have the same confidence in the astra as I did in the clio, but it still feels relatively sturdy. I was expecting it to feel like a complete boat lol, but it is really comfortable to drive.

GSI - 7/10
172 - 8/10

Braking

The 172 brakes were more effective. Quite sharp. The astra brakes are...ok, do the job nicely! That's it really, I think I might upgrade the brakes to be honest. It could do with 4 pots I think!

GSI - 6/10
172 - 7/10

Economy

LOL...the GSI knows no such word. The MPG is pretty poor, but I expected it and budgeted for it tbh. It will happily do 30-40 MPG cruising in 4th or 5th at alow revs, but drive it quite hard it's probably on par with a standard scooby or similar. I always thought the 172 was really good for MPG, averaged 34MPG ish with mixed driving, so in that respect the clio definitely wins.

GSI - 5/10
172 - 9/10

Comfort

The GSI is so much more comfortable than the clio. The heated leather recaros are such a good touch. 172 seats are a bit poor imo. They look ok, but that's just the half leather and stitching. The GSI has cruise control as well which is good on the motorway/long A roads. Also the fact the GSI has a standard exhaust and I probably fart louder than the noise from it, makes being in the car a nice place to be on motorways, rather than trying to either do 50mph or 80mph so the exhaust doesn't drone. The astra is a fair bit bigger as well, I'm not exactly big but always felt a bit cramped in the clio. There are also far fewer rattles in my astra...oh and it doesn't whistle at higher speeds. lol. This was one of the main reasons for wanting a new car, so I'm glad my needs have been met with the astra.

GSI - 9/10
172 - 3/10

That's all I can tell you! It's as honest as I can give. Loved my 172, put so much effort, time and money into it. But as previously stated I wanted something more comfortable, bigger and more powerful.

Thanks, comments/opinions welcome
Steve

Mk4 .:R32
not really, a completely standard 172 would probably be 6 or 7 out of 10.

you've not been in my old 172 so you can't really express an opinion on that to be honest

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Nice comparison Ste. Good to see there's no bias to justify your purchase.

320d
Good review that mate, very informative and well written. A+ Sir.

Glad your happy with the GSI, its a more grown up car than the Clio imo.

M2 Competition
Compared to most other cars, id say around 6 for a 182 for comfort.

You can live with it, but you drive something else and realise how bad they are!

Last edited: