ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi B5 S4 - my latest financial mistake

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all,
Thought I would share my newest purchase and the sole reason my phase 1 project is now on hold till later this approaching year.
I had no intentions of buying this car, but when a friend calls you up on a Saturday afternoon and says he needs it moving immediately as the Mrs says he can't keep it I couldn't help but bid him on it.
The story goes that it was owned locally for a large number of year's by one chap, who then purchased a new one and laid this one up. It was then purchased by my friend who about going through the car with a fine tooth comb, replacing all fluids, belts, consumables and so on and putting a fresh ticket on it. This is where I came in, purchased the car having heard it idle only and seen it's condition.
Trailered it home and then sat it outside my house for a few weeks trying to get the best insurance for it, at 22 it was proving quite difficult, certainly something I should have looked at before the purchase.
20201205_151735.jpg

20201205_152225.jpg

Finally got it insured for relatively sensible money and proceeded on the first drive where I found it massively underwhelming for something that was supposed to be pushing 300+ horsepower. Took it my garage and started investigating, immediately found that the pipe coming out of the bottom of the diverter valve into the lower inlet pipe had popped off. Great. Sorted right? Wrong. Took it out for a second drive, better, but flat as a pancake above 3k rpm. Just about kept up with my mates remapped 2.1 cla!!
After many hours of searching and checking hoses, spraying soapy water, cleaning electrical contacts and the sorts I found a breakage in the silicone throttle body boot, if you google it it's very common, but I didn't think to do that. I could stick 2 fingers in the underside of the boot! Unable to get a boot for a few weeks I used some Q bond to seal the rip, stuck it back on and used some self-amalgamating tape to seal it all up.
20201223_205043.jpg

(Terrible picture but that's the boot)

Whilst I was in there I swapped the plugs and all fluids again, half the car has to be taken apart to do so but I figured it had to be done.
IMG-20201222-WA0005.jpeg

Took it out for a drive afterward, warmed it up nice and steady at 50mph in 6th. Once warm came to a roundabout leading to a 70mph road and booted it in second. What a motor, the things sodding ballistic pulls hard from around 3k right to the redline at 7k. Had a play with a mk2 focus RS thing, and swiftly showed it the door or the tailgate as the case was, much to the surprise of the owner.

Gave a wash and a wax today and a quick interior valet, really really clean body, not a spot of rust on the thing, you could count the stone chips on the front bumper on one hand, gonna get it up on the ramp in the next few days to have a poke around underneath as I don't have lots of recent history with the car, full audi up to 100k but just bits after, it drives mint though so would be interesting to see what has and hasn't been replaced suspension wise. Can't find any others with the cloth interior, I had thought someone had pulled them out of a standard s4 and put them in however all the heated seats work so I'm unsure if it was just a rare option?

20201227_145727.jpg
20201227_154158.jpg
20201227_155346.jpg
20201227_163558.jpg
20201227_163622.jpg

Anyway, unsure if this interests anyone but I thought I would share my latest financial mistake anyway.

Attachments

• 20201227_154158.jpg
    20201227_154158.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 149

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’m sorry... your friend sold his car because his wife ‘told him to’ ???

you need new friends. Ones with testicles.

I mean you’ve done alright out of it but he’s a massive wet wipe.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
I’m sorry... your friend sold his car because his wife ‘told him to’ ???

you need new friends. Ones with testicles.

I mean you’ve done alright out of it but he’s a massive wet wipe.
Yes indeed, she told him he had too many vehicles and instructed him to sell this one!
Friend was probably too strong, more of an acquaintance 🤣
Like you say, I can't really complain, I got a rather good deal out of it.

2014 Clio 200t edc
wow!! havent seen one of these for years. an old boss of mine had an RS4 avant years ago, i was lucky enough to pull it into the carpark and no more but i was in love!!
if i remember correctly his didnt have satnav either, most for sale had it fitted. he also had way more than 12 points on his license but had a very good solicitor!
what an absolute bargain for £4k!!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
wow!! havent seen one of these for years. an old boss of mine had one years ago, i was lucky enough to pull it into the carpark and no more but i was in love!!
if i remember correctly his didnt have satnav either, most for sale had it fitted. he also had way more than 12 points on his license but had a very good solicitor!
I can see why he had 12 points, the thing just sods off! 3rd gear is lethal, it will pull from about 30mph hard right through to the red line at the 90mph mark 😳 all tests conducted in a safe enclosed environment of course!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Love these, my dad had one of these and 2x b5 rs4’s when I was a kid. One of the rs4’s was pushing 500bhp that thing was rapid. Bargain at 4K!

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Love these, my dad had one of these and 2x b5 rs4’s when I was a kid. One of the rs4’s was pushing 500bhp that thing was rapid. Bargain at 4K!
I can't help but look at those 500hp builds on youtube! If the clutch or turbos were ropey I would be looking at k04's and all the relevant bits whilst the motor was pulled but they are both really healthy!

LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Someone in my mates street deals in them.

I remember going round his house and there were 4 sitting parked in the street.

He just thought they were beatup old estates.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Awesome machine!

your friend really went over it with a fine tooth comb didn’t he..what with the issues that he clearly knew about😂

I doubt his reason for selling was legit, probablt wanted rid for the issues it had. Anyway, that’s a bargain at 4K.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Awesome machine!

your friend really went over it with a fine tooth comb didn’t he..what with the issues that he clearly knew about😂

I doubt his reason for selling was legit, probablt wanted rid for the issues it had. Anyway, that’s a bargain at 4K.
Possibly a poor choice of words again, it was late when I posted 😳 A fine tooth comb with some teeth missing might have been a better description!

I would have to agree with you on that one, luckily all the little issues I've managed to sort for pennies it's in really rather nice condition orherwise

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome cars, i had one (owned it twice actually) once tuned its party piece was the +70mph continuous acceleration. Was a long while back now but i got into tuning it myself. Ended up being able to run a 12.7s sqm on the stock k03's. I actually split the same Y hose the day i was running these times. Legendary cars with a bullet proof engine. Its owned by a mate now who still daily's it nearly 5 years on with no major issues

sqms4.PNG

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Awesome cars, i had one (owned it twice actually) once tuned its party piece was the +70mph continuous acceleration. Was a long while back now but i got into tuning it myself. Ended up being able to run a 12.7s sqm on the stock k03's. I actually split the same Y hose the day i was running these times. Legendary cars with a bullet proof engine. Its owned by a mate now who still daily's it nearly 5 years on with no major issues

View attachment 1512668
Wow, that's really impressive! This one is meant to have some superchip generic map of some sorts on it but I can't imagine it would achieve anything like that. More than welcome to tune mine if you ever fancied it!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
You need to be brutal to get them times mind. Its been so long im not sure i even have the software and it takes an age to do with no dyno. Nefmoto used to be the forum to go to for tuning them if you fancied a look at doing it. The ecu is so mappable you can do most things the moderns have, flat shift, launch control and such.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
You need to be brutal to get them times mind. Its been so long im not sure i even have the software and it takes an age to do with no dyno. Nefmoto used to be the forum to go to for tuning them if you fancied a look at doing it. The ecu is so mappable you can do most things the moderns have, flat shift, launch control and such.

It's definitely something that needs doing, and doing properly, I have a few dynos local to me I'm sure I could rent time on in fairness, these generic maps worry me surely not all cars are the same!
The launch control looks mega on these, I would assume decat down pipes would be necessary for this?

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've owned 3 x S4 b5's and 1 x RS4 B5, best resource is audisrs.com - easy to take the s4 to same spec of rs4 - just upgrade bolt on bits. the engines are good for big power - bolt on stuff, k04 turbos, fuel pump etc.. can get you up in 450bhp+. I found changing the ARB's stopped a lot of the role from suspension. They were amazing in the day - but now lots of hot hatches with DSG boxes which will keep pace. Can get very expensive at this age, cambelt, rusty rear suspension turrets, boost leaks are not your friend -buy a new Y pipe boot - or get an upgraded one - also check your 710n diverter valves are working. I would also invest in a ross tech cable to run vagcom on pc - best software - can check long term fuel trims for signs of boost leak, ensure boost is meeting requested. Sometimes the N75 boost solinoid can give you problems too.

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
not sure if the boot build sticker would hold the answer to the seats being oringinal - find the sticker and decode it.
might be in the service book on first few pages if you can't find it in the car.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
I've owned 3 x S4 b5's and 1 x RS4 B5, best resource is audisrs.com - easy to take the s4 to same spec of rs4 - just upgrade bolt on bits. the engines are good for big power - bolt on stuff, k04 turbos, fuel pump etc.. can get you up in 450bhp+. I found changing the ARB's stopped a lot of the role from suspension. They were amazing in the day - but now lots of hot hatches with DSG boxes which will keep pace. Can get very expensive at this age, cambelt, rusty rear suspension turrets, boost leaks are not your friend -buy a new Y pipe boot - or get an upgraded one - also check your 710n diverter valves are working. I would also invest in a ross tech cable to run vagcom on pc - best software - can check long term fuel trims for signs of boost leak, ensure boost is meeting requested. Sometimes the N75 boost solinoid can give you problems too.
I had and apparently the borg warner rs4 units are on back order with no sign of when they are going to be back in! Have seen the f21 frankenturbos and they look quite a good unit at the price point should I ever decide to go that route, or if I decide to keep it that long!
Will be getting it up on the lift today with any luck and have a poke underneath to see what the bushes are looking like.
Y pipe boot is on order from 034 motorsport as we speak and it came with bailey DV valves so luckily all sorted!
Vagcom is a must though, would be interested to see if I've got any over boost as I've been told boost leaks will cause that and in turn lunch the k03's

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ideally, you want to check for boost leaks. If you've a compressor availble then might be worth buying a boost leak tester - basically connects to the Y pipe from the airbox connection and you inflate it (take the oil cap off) and listen and track down leaks - There is a spider hose and other vaccum pipes under the inlet which can leak - also intercoolers - if original have plastic end caps and can leak, injector o-rings. etc.. Also check MAF readings if you get Vagcom as this can crap out and cause the car to be down on power - or just replace it.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Ideally, you want to check for boost leaks. If you've a compressor availble then might be worth buying a boost leak tester - basically connects to the Y pipe from the airbox connection and you inflate it (take the oil cap off) and listen and track down leaks - There is a spider hose and other vaccum pipes under the inlet which can leak - also intercoolers - if original have plastic end caps and can leak, injector o-rings. etc.. Also check MAF readings if you get Vagcom as this can crap out and cause the car to be down on power - or just replace it.
Have just been reading about that exact boost leak tester funnily enough. In all honesty to a visual check everything seems in good order and quite new, but I'm not going to know fully until I test it. All those vac hoses worry me, I had thought about buying a roll of vac line and just going through and replacing each line one by one to make sure, replacing the n75, n80, n249 and the check valve at the same time and obviously the spider and F hose along with all the silicone induction related items.
The new Hitachi maf sensor from the facelift cars is on the shopping list to

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
You can't change the maf from Bosch to Hitachi - you have to stick with what the car is fitted with as they are scaled differently - ecu would need reprogramming. I believe you can delete a lot of it and some people say it reduces issues with throttle feel. I believe it was Jimbo on Audisrs.com that posted a link to delete the n249 valve. He is also a trader on the site who breaks RS4s. Might be a good contact if you after parts.

A boost leak tester can be fabricated fairly easy, people use tin cans, PVC pipe etc.. Until the pipework is under load you will not know if there is a leak.

Also do you know if its been mapped? Can normally tell if you log maf reading or boost with Vagcom.

Last edited:

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Last thing I would also advise to look at is all the check valves, make sure they are working whilst your in there. should be able to blow through only one way.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Back when i had mine, Unicorn, viper and MRC were the people to go for to get a proper map done. But before all that give the car a massive once over and make sure everything is in tip top shape. Get vagcom hooked up and check everything is working correctly. If you end up with exhaust temp probe issues you used to be able to buy the boards from poland, good if you are handy with a soldering iron (y)

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Back when i had mine, Unicorn, viper and MRC were the people to go for to get a proper map done. But before all that give the car a massive once over and make sure everything is in tip top shape. Get vagcom hooked up and check everything is working correctly. If you end up with exhaust temp probe issues you used to be able to buy the boards from poland, good if you are handy with a soldering iron (y)
Some good info there - I make it sound like there are loads of problems - they are generally good motors and a lot of this stuff can be considered service items.

I recall being sat at a set of lights on a carriageway at a dead stop, the lights turned to green and a car was approaching at 60mph about to over take - within two gears i'd caught up in a matter of seconds - 3rd gear I was off. Laughing at the stupidity of the ability of a low key- sleeper estate car, For UK roads they are a perfect daily.

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Cheers for the replies lads, going to have it up on the ramp later with any luck and give it a once over, I'm not convinced of anything that was said was done, was done.
However this morning I felt rather smug with my purchase because of the weather, driving past brand new motors stuck in snow, what a machine this thing is in the snow! Had to wake up the poor daily smoker to get it out
20201228_095421.jpg

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
2 words

F*CKING JEALOUS!!

A mate of mine has a few S4's if you ever need any bits. He's smashed a few diffs to pieces launching his 😂
Don't be too jealous its bloody expensive to keep the thing on the road!
I am actually going to be after some decat down pipes if he has some?

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
2 words

F*CKING JEALOUS!!

A mate of mine has a few S4's if you ever need any bits. He's smashed a few diffs to pieces launching his 😂
Don't be too jealous its bloody expensive to keep the thing on the road!
I am actually going to be after some decat down pipes if he has some?