ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi RS4 b7 saloon in Misano Red - Dealership Detail

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Audi RS4 – Misano Red b7 saloon

5 months back, I was asked to prep an Aston Martin DB7 Volante by the Marshall Motor Group. (used car centre)

Having never really seen or had first hand experience with a ‘true’ machine polish or detail before, they were a little dubious about spending the money. After two days of my time however, they went on to sell the Aston for a few £k more than originally planned. Quids in!

The car in question this time, the RS4, although low mileage, had seen better days. Lots of poorly finished repainted panels and those that were still original were riddled with seriously deep marks and scratches (almost ‘yard brush’ deep – can’t work out how else they would have been induced; even a car wash I don’t think would be ‘that’ bad?!)

Product

· 3M Glass Cleaner
· 3M Ultra Fina
· 3M Fast Cut +
· AMDetails mild clay bar
· AutoSmart Tardis
· AutoSmart Hazsafe
· AutoSmart Reglaze
· AutoSmart G101
· AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber Care
· Belgom ALU
· Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection
· Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II
· Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
· Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)
· Jeffs Werkstat Prime
· Meguiars All Season Dressing
· Meguiars Super Degreaser
· Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
· Menzerna 203 Power Finish
· Menzerna 85RD 3.02 Intensive Polish
· Menzerna S500 Fast Gloss

I didn’t take any pics throughout the wash stages – to be fair, the car was ‘clean’.

Wheels, arches, sills and shuts followed by the usual ‘two-bucket’ safe wash after the pre-rinse, pre-foam etc. Quite a few tar spots were removed throughout and then other surface contaminants (bug remains, sap, iron fillings etc) were removed with a clay bar.

Pulled inside, and it looks like this:

DSC_0045.jpg

Swirling & buffertrails from previous ‘mopping’ sessions:

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg

Overspray on O/S/F door:

DSC_0047.jpg

The bonnet was shocking. Again, quite what induced these marks in the first place I do not know…

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

Most of the car had seen fresh paint but the N/S/R wing stood out like a sore thumb. I first saw the car in the showroom, under the spot lights... A dull white ‘haze’ covered the rear quarter – it really did shout out “LOOK AT ME!”

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Moving down the N/S:

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

So yeah, nice car, poor condition!

Starting with the bonnet (original paint)

It was clear this wasn’t going to be easy. Minimum of 3 hits per section required to give desired results…

Here you can see two random deep scratches awaiting further correction:

DSC_0061.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

Natural light 50/50:

DSC_0064.jpg

And another with the 500w halogen:

DSC_0067.jpg

With the side repeaters removed to allow tighter correction, the O/S/F wing was corrected, polished and refined:

DSC_0070.jpg

Before/After on O/S/F door:

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

Rear quarter befores:

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

After:

DSC_0078.jpg

50/50 on boot-lid:

DSC_0079.jpg

Before/After (awaiting refinement)

DSC_0080.jpg
DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Cut, polished, refined.

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

While I was back there, the rear light clusters were brought back to life with Menz 203s and a Lake Country spot pad.

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

O/S finished – see if you can still spot the 50/50 on the bonnet…

DSC_0091.jpg

No after photos I’m afraid, but look at the state of the N/S/F wing! Ouch.

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

Turns out the hazy rear quarter mentioned above had already been machine polished whilst at the Dealership… Their local SMART repairs guy took a look at it. Perhaps one of the reasons it looks like this:

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

Above the halogen reflection to the left of the photo, on the leading edge, can you see a rough texture/touch-up? My guess is the ‘mop’ at the time was pushed over both the lower and upper sections at once causing a bit of a burn through on the proud, delicate edge.

Although now fully corrected, refined and looking sharp, the paint itself wasn’t exactly amazing. Lots of tiny fish-eyes caused by silicone in the spraying stages.

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

The roof, fortunately, was a doddle! Only two passes required here – 3M Fast Cut+ on a green 3M cutting pad followed by a mix of Menzerna to refine to a crisp, sharp finish.

DSC_0104.jpg

Low down under the bump strips:

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

And now back to the other half of the bonnet:

DSC_0112.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

As good as it was going to get with the time given…

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

Machine work complete:

DSC_0117.jpg

The engine compartment wasn’t particularly bad; the underside of the bonnet being the worst. Soaked in Megs Super Degreaser, agitated and rinsed and low pressure.

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg
DSC_0121.jpg

(Forgot to get the after pictures – agh!)

After the engine, the car was thoroughly rinsed to remove polishing dust and deposits.

Back inside, blown dry with the black baron. Wiped with IPA to remove any remaining polishing oils and Blackfire‘s ’Wet Diamond’ applied to seal the paint.

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

Glass cleaned inside and out. Exhausts tidied. Trim dressed. Interior tickled. Final ‘toothpickery’ and we’re finished.

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg
DSC_0139.jpg

Quickly taken outside for some sun-shots before being rolled back into the showroom to go back on display..

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg
DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

That N/S/R quarter looking 100x better:

DSC_0168.jpg

And finished.

DSC_0163.jpg

Sure you’ll agree, quite the save! Misano is an awesome colour – it really is. I have a couple of b7 cabriolets in Misano on maintenance but never a saloon. Really does suit I think!

Thanks for reading.

Jim.

182 track, Mk7 ST
That really does look amazing, a complete transformation! And I agree with you on the RS4 in that colour, looks stunning.

Nice work mate :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
One of my favourite cars in one of my favourite colours! Simply immense!

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Thanks all.

Testimonial from Marshalls:

"[FONT=&quot]As part of the family owned Marshall Motor Group, with 102 years trading experience, customer care and satisfaction is something we pride ourselves in day in, day out. The Group has nearly 70 dealerships across the country, and here at Marshall Car Centre of Melton Mowbray, we deal only in the Group's prestige and performance models.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Around 5-6 months ago, I got wind of White Details' reputation for attention to detail and work ethic on the sort of cars we sell through word of mouth. I asked Jim to come and see us and get a valuation, and after thorough consultation, we set him to work on our Aston Martin. The result saw us sell the car at its true value, and have a customer who was more than happy with his new purchase.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, when this Audi RS4 came to us needing some TLC, there was only one company we were interested in looking after it for us. And, as ever, the work Jim has done is first class and the car is sat in the showroom, under the scutiny of all our lighting, looking just as it should. For us, it's going to be a case of first to see will buy. A cliche, but one made true by White Details![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To any customers or even other motor dealers reading this, all at Marshall Motor Group at Melton Mowbray would recommend White Details for [/FONT][FONT=&quot]any work[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on [/FONT][FONT=&quot]any car[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. We are already trying to fit other cars into Jim's diary as we speak. Top work, top man. Thanks![/FONT]"

Koi, it was ~21 hours in the end.

Extremely off topic, but, tune:

Last edited by a moderator:
  Z4 Coupe
Thats great news for you then Jim! Constant work from such a big outfit.

Cracking job as always.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
Speechless!!!!!!!! seen a few cars done by jim now and i think he's going down in the history books! True legend mate.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Cheers guys.

Phil, hahah - pfft, it's catchy. alright? (ooh, just spotted your avatar, nice one! ;) )

I'm booked now through till 2nd week in Sept! Plenty to watch out for.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant work as always Jim!
I love looking through these thread's and thinking to myself. I wonder how much he would find wrong with my paint :eek:

Car looks awesome post detail, top work :)

Honda & VW
A beautiful car made perfect by the master himself, immense work there Jim.

​Now that's a cracking testimonial, I bet you never tire of reviews like that.

Nice to see a car dealer fully appreciating the value of a professional Detail, most are so greedy and so try not to spend a penny on their cars. Your work truly shows that they can speculate to accumulate with ease, everyone is happy.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols. Crazy bump. Also you'll find the customer paid for the detail not the dealer, most are just prepped at the dealers mate.

Honda & VW
Lols. Crazy bump. Also you'll find the customer paid for the detail not the dealer, most are just prepped at the dealers mate.

How would that work if the dealer is saying they were able to sell it for a vast amount more post detail?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh I was under the impression like Chappers last one the guy organised it. My point being not every car gets detailed like that.

Must either be high value or specific cars. You couldn't afford to correct every sales car.