ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Audi TT Quattro Sport - Clio trophy 147/500 replacement! - Updated Pics Post 142

Z4
Re: Audi TT Quattro Sport - Clio trophy 147/500 replacement!

I've got £12,000 burning a massive hole in my pocket, and the Clio hasn't even been picked up yet.

It's either a V6 TT and a month in America, or an R32. Just can't decide :(

Don't forget the Z4 mate, drives so much better than the TT!
I know CS has gone a bit weak at the knees for the Audi ATM but seriously, these people haven't owned them. They are far from exciting to drive! Especially after something that actually drives well like a rs Clio.
I've tried to convince myself otherwise quite a few times as they really do look great, but always came to the same conclusion, regardless of engine choice.

I know CS has gone a bit weak at the knees for the Audi ATM but seriously, these people haven't owned them. They are far from exciting to drive! Especially after something that actually drives well like a rs Clio.
I've tried to convince myself otherwise quite a few times as they really do look great, but always came to the same conclusion, regardless of engine choice.

But not everyone requires a "drivers" car... The Z4's "amazing drive" would be lost on me. I'd find the lack of grip in the wet frustrating and concerning. I drive 10 miles max at the weekend all in a straight line. Traffic light to traffic light. My s3, much like the tt, is quick (RR@278), comfy, looks great (personal opinion!) and has the added benefit of Quattro in wet/winter conditions.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

I think you'll find people have owned them and not once did they mention they were exciting. Bit wide of the mark there mate.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v

My thoughts exactly, no offence, it's all personal choice, but our remapped 225 was less inspiring to drive than the 182, and I would choose to drive the 182 over the TT everytime...
We just had the choice of sell the Z4 or TT due to lack of use, the Z4 won hands down, it's an actual drivers car, despite having 'electric steering'!
Me personally, I'd be all over a Z4M or E46 M3 Cab for 12k, a TT wouldn't enter my mind.
As I say, no offence to TT owners, it's just personal preference after having had 4 or 5 on the drive over the years, the last one was THE LAST ONE.
My sister is on her 2nd V6 convertible and loves them, so it really is each to their own!!
But you should get a BMW ;)

My thoughts exactly, no offence, it's all personal choice, but our remapped 225 was less inspiring to drive than the 182, and I would choose to drive the 182 over the TT everytime...
We just had the choice of sell the Z4 or TT due to lack of use, the Z4 won hands down, it's an actual drivers car, despite having 'electric steering'!
Me personally, I'd be all over a Z4M or E46 M3 Cab for 12k, a TT wouldn't enter my mind.
As I say, no offence to TT owners, it's just personal preference after having had 4 or 5 on the drive over the years, the last one was THE LAST ONE.
My sister is on her 2nd V6 convertible and loves them, so it really is each to their own!!
But you should get a BMW ;)

How on earth can you compare a Z4M to a TT225? Perhaps a Z4M to a TTRS, then I know what I'd order. Hell, I'd buy the TTS over the BM.

But not everyone requires a "drivers" car... The Z4's "amazing drive" would be lost on me. I'd find the lack of grip in the wet frustrating and concerning. I drive 10 miles max at the weekend all in a straight line. Traffic light to traffic light. My s3, much like the tt, is quick (RR@278), comfy, looks great (personal opinion!) and has the added benefit of Quattro in wet/winter conditions.

Definitely don't lose grip in the wet in a z4 unless you use budget tyres or illegal ones?! But then you may not have owned one so wouldn't realise that? It's a very general term to say RWD doesn't grip...
The S3 or TT is only 4wd when it loses traction, not real 4wd, to me that says its got to get you in trouble before it helps you out...
I also find they under steer, z4 is very poised.
But this is becoming another this car vs that car debate! Ha

How on earth can you compare a Z4M to a TT225? Perhaps a Z4M to a TTRS, then I know what I'd order. Hell, I'd buy the TTS over the BM.

When did I compare the 2?!
I said if I was binning 12k I wouldn't put it in a TT...
Definitely wouldnt touch a TTS over a Z4M, not even if it were cheaper!

Sorry to OP, this has taken over your thread mate! Nice TT you have, hope you enjoy it bud!!

When did I compare the 2?!

;)

Definitely don't lose grip in the wet in a z4 unless you use budget tyres or illegal ones?! But then you may not have owned one so wouldn't realise that? It's a very general term to say RWD doesn't grip...
The S3 or TT is only 4wd when it loses traction, not real 4wd, to me that says its got to get you in trouble before it helps you out...
I also find they under steer, z4 is very poised.
But this is becoming another this car vs that car debate! Ha

I know how written word comes across, but this is just a debate, no slagging going on here :)

Rob's post about going on track with his Z4 showed they were swinging the back end out in the wet fairly easily... that would show you can loose grip on the back end, even with good tyres. S3s on track (yes they understeer but a simple mod, the R32 rear ARB solves this, but then we're comparing modded vs non-modded cars ;)) would handle wet conditions more easily, you can't deny that.

But like you say, we're going off topic on what I feel is a thread about a very nice car ;)

Ahh, now you're misquoting me ;)
I didn't say a 225 TT, I was referring to the chap wondering whether to buy a V6 TT and trip to America, or an R32...
If it were out of the 2, I'd take the R32, but in an ideal world, I'd get a Z4M, or maybe a 3.0Si and pocket a good 4 or 5 grand...
Also worth stating here, imo, coupe TT mk1 drive so much better than cabs, cab doesn't feel rigid enough, probably why I didn't enjoy our last one.
They are lovely cars, definitely not disrespecting anyone's car :D

Z4

I agree, its the same advice I gave Gally when most people were ribbing him telling him how crap they are. They're decent cars, but for driving enthusiasts they're substandard. Much like your S3! But you enjoy it, Gally enjoys his, it proves how we're not all alike. I like to inform people of my reasonings before they make a purchase as they may well regret it, RDH has owned rs clios and Mini Cooper S' so I'd imagine he likes a good hoon around in the twisties.

I totally disagree about the Z4 and its lack of grip though, lol. Sounds like someone that hasn't driven many rwd cars!
Theres loads of grip, more than most cars you see on the road but you don't see many people randomly sliding off the road in a cloud of dust, do you? On the limit, the rear will kick out, but tbh you really need to be trying to do that unless you're an inexperienced driver in which case maybe the Audi is a good shout...
Grip and handling are very different things anyway but I feel we're going off the point!

I think you'll find people have owned them and not once did they mention they were exciting. Bit wide of the mark there mate.

Not sure what you meant there chap?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

90% of people on here aren't "drivers". Like JD Rwd cars etc are totally wasted on me, I drive at 30mph everywhere quite happily.

90% of people on here aren't "drivers". Like JD Rwd cars etc are totally wasted on me, I drive at 30mph everywhere quite happily.

Yeah I don't drive fast but you don't need to to have fun either. I love a RWD to pitch into a corner and power out, big lumps of BM engines are great for this, like big bulldozers they just push from the back, you sit squat over the rear wheels with a huge great bonnet in front, like some corvette from the 60's, it's just an experience really, makes you want to randomly just take it out for no reason at all, but that's because it presses my buttons. For other people it maybe doesn't so much, but I'd definitely say to anybody who hasn't driven one, try it before you knock it, as with anything :)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

I do love your random percentages, especially when there's no substance to them whatsoever, lol.

You don't have to drive like your head is on fire to appreciate how good a car is to drive, be it RWD or otherwise.

Gone competely off topic now though, sorry James. Love the car btw mate and I'm actually pretty jealous.

I agree, its the same advice I gave Gally when most people were ribbing him telling him how crap they are. They're decent cars, but for driving enthusiasts they're substandard. Much like your S3! But you enjoy it, Gally enjoys his, it proves how we're not all alike. I like to inform people of my reasonings before they make a purchase as they may well regret it, RDH has owned rs clios and Mini Cooper S' so I'd imagine he likes a good hoon around in the twisties.

I totally disagree about the Z4 and its lack of grip though, lol. Sounds like someone that hasn't driven many rwd cars!
Theres loads of grip, more than most cars you see on the road but you don't see many people randomly sliding off the road in a cloud of dust, do you? On the limit, the rear will kick out, but tbh you really need to be trying to do that unless you're an inexperienced driver in which case maybe the Audi is a good shout...
Grip and handling are very different things anyway but I feel we're going off the point!

Not sure what you meant there chap?

Completely put my hands up, I've not driven the Z4, but have driven quite a number of high powered RWD cars (Astons, Porsches, Rarris, Mercs etc). None of them move during winter, my family cars do (RS4, RS6, R8, S3 etc). All have Quattro or four wheel drive, none have issues driving when it rains and snows. So I wouldn't call it a lack of driving experience.

I have, however, spun my Clio on the motorway after hitting some deep standing water, aquaplaning and bumping the car. So I will again put my hands up and say that has changed my driving mentality - some form of four wheel drive, however fake you want to call it, has to be safer. And it is. No "oooohh" moments on the motorway as the car goes light in the last three years of driving in god awful conditions.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

I know, I do love a good percentage, was more a tongue in cheek comment. I just think a lot of the time people don't drive around like their pants were on fire.

I had an Frp before the TT, it's like the polar opposite of handling, balance and character etc. I get my release because I get to drive different cars every day so i'm not missing the honing just as much as I would.

On the whole I actually agree with most points, it does come down to what the person wants at that stage in his life really.

Dave bought an R32... iirc he actually likes driving. Oh and we can't be comparing MK5 R32's to V6 TT's that's just being a bit silly.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

I had an Frp before the TT, it's like the polar opposite of handling, balance and character etc. I get my release because I get to drive different cars every day so i'm not missing the honing just as much as I would.

And there we have it. By recognising the difference in handling and balance, you've just established yourself as a 'driver', as you put it. You're seeing things in a car by the way it performs from a driving point of view, other than just aesthetics.

I'm not sure what my point is, but it seemed necessary to share. Lol. Boob x

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

And there we have it. By recognising the difference in handling and balance, you've just established yourself as a 'driver', as you put it. You're seeing things in a car by the way it performs from a driving point of view, other than just aesthetics.

I'm not sure what my point is, but it seemed necessary to share. Lol. Boob x

I want to be a wafter not a driver these days. :eek: Boobs. <3

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

RDH has owned rs clios and Mini Cooper S' so I'd imagine he likes a good hoon around in the twisties.

I do mate, but in all honestly I can count on both hands the amount of times I've driven them as they were intended to be driven.

I'm basically after something with more comfort and more toys, that still looks good/sounds good and is pretty quick. I'll no doubt own another RS in the future, but I just fancy a change. Although a break from Clio's will more than likely make me want another one!

Z4

Completely disagree. There's plenty of people on here that respect a fine handling car, one of the only reasons I still come on here as there's lot of like minded people with loads of info!
People aren't spending 15k+ on Clio 200s because they look pretty, they're probably doing it because they like a sorted chassis and revvy little engine that will put a smile on your face way below the speed limit.

Yeah I don't drive fast but you don't need to to have fun either. I love a RWD to pitch into a corner and power out, big lumps of BM engines are great for this, like big bulldozers they just push from the back, you sit squat over the rear wheels with a huge great bonnet in front, like some corvette from the 60's, it's just an experience really, makes you want to randomly just take it out for no reason at all, but that's because it presses my buttons. For other people it maybe doesn't so much, but I'd definitely say to anybody who hasn't driven one, try it before you knock it, as with anything :)

Now there's a guy who gets it! Ohhhh car fwiend!

Dave bought an R32... iirc he actually likes driving. Oh and we can't be comparing MK5 R32's to V6 TT's that's just being a bit silly.

My main issues with the TT were the chassis and Haldex, these have both been vastly improved for the mk5 R32.

But again, Chris, I loved my Clio when I whizzed around back roads and roundabouts at the age of 17. It rode as if it had no suspension, no body roll, etc etc as it had coilovers, solid top mounts, a good chassis etc.

But I no longer do that. So booting down straight motorways and dual carriageways, the Audi is quiet inside, comfortable, fast enough for when I want to get the jump on a bus/car in the wrong lane, etc and useable in Cheshire/The Lakes when it snows. Yes, every so often I miss the Clio's rawness, but I'd never consider a Clio again for the simple fact it was not enjoyable on the aforementioned roads, which are now the mainstay of my driving.

Blimey, now I'm really getting off topic!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Be honest JD you can't turn up to a polo event in the Clio... ;)

I think people slightly missed my point though about the drivers. I should have said 90% of the time maybe.

It became tiresome driving the Frp everyday, as a 2nd car it probably would be hard for me to better at that kinda of money but everyday and through winter, it was mega hard. I guess people move on.

The people who like "driving" end up in Bmw's because they like the image whilst still having driving fun, realise the Bm is heavy and not as chuckable and jump back in a cheap Clio then complain about comfort, image etc... vicious circle.

ST1050, 320d

I like the look of the car as it is, just my tupence worth. Don't like them normally either.

RS2'd Trophy

Bloody hell! how many comments/ arguments!

Its completely different to the clio in EVERY way. and I know its not to everyones taste and I know that it isnt the 3.2 but its fast enough for me. Its got a nice spec list on it also so im happy.

A few small tweeks and itll be looking how I want it.

PS the window tints are off!!

RS2'd Trophy

What colour shall I paint the front Audi Rings?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

Silver. Although I quite like the black :eek:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Buy nice shiny new ones and restore some class if that's what you're aiming for. :)

An orange one

As I said in my PM's James, new silver front and rear badges

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING

what circumstances made you sell the trophy and get this ?
isnt the trophy a all around better car? better mpg, bigger interior, cheap tac and insurance ect?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Insurance will probably be more on the Trophy, tax is the same.

Rear seats are smaller but you wouldn't buy one if you needed decent sized rear
seats.

Better all round car? I'm not sure that's fair.

RS2'd Trophy

what circumstances made you sell the trophy and get this ?
isnt the trophy a all around better car? better mpg, bigger interior, cheap tac and insurance ect?

Hi Tom,

Its 100pounds a year more than the trophy and the tax is the same, this car will hold it money better and is still a very focussed car!

MPG there isnt much in it on a run, it is smaller inside but in no way shape or form can you compare it to the clio. There like chalk and cheese.

I really really am enjoying the well made german car feel and this is a brilliant car, well setup by TT shop and all the goodies! its had no expense spared by the previous owner and has most certainly not had a 'hard life' unless the fact it has been debadged and the front badge is black of cause. PS I have just discovered a full set of immaculate badges in service pack which were removed by Audi at 4years old.

The quattro sport was the last more focussed mk1 and all I can say is its absolutely awesome. It doesnt have the boy racer stigma attached to it, almost everyone who has seen it has complimented on how nice it is, I only ever had that from clio owners who knew what a trophy was!

I would have another clio again but it would have to be a purely track based car now I have been spoilt with german refinement.

Circumstances were as a contract consultant I cannot turn upto clients offices in a clio trophy with a bright red rollcage in it lol. It doesnt give a very good impression when trying to win work. I needed something more grown up and this now I am returning most parts to std will be the best of both worlds.

Thankyou for all the comments.

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST

Looks lovely mate and i'd have a tuned 1.8T over the old V6 too. With those mods it must sound pretty sweet anyway !

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Fair point, :eek: Was more a TT comparison.