ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto-wipers sensitivity level switch - broken or just crap on 172?

Clio 172 2003
Hi there. I don't think the automatic-wiper sensitivity switch on the wiper stalk does anything on my car. In every setting it's about the same. Also the button itself feels very loose and turns very freely compared to other switches on both stalks (eg. fog lights). There is no distinct click to it, although you can feel four little notches when turning and switching between settings.

Before I buy a new stalk and start ripping the steering column surround apart, can you tell me how is the switch supposed to feel, and do the settings change the sensitivity a lot?
It's annoying when sometimes my windscreen is covered with water and nothing happens when other times wipers trigger all the time with a bit of mist.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You should be able to feel it click . I always leave mine turned on fully ( away from me ) . As it rains harder , the wipers should wipe faster.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I've not noticed it working on my mk2, infact my wipers will take any opportunity to go full pace and the sniff of water!

Full fat BG 182
Mine works perfectly. Maybe your rain sensor is unattached from the screen due to a screen replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172 2003
Mine works perfectly. Maybe your rain sensor is unattached from the screen due to a screen replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it does not work perfectly due to a screen replacement my Clio has had, but in general it works. However, the wheel that adjusts the sensitivity doesn't seem to affect it at all, and the click feels very vague.
My dad's 2006 BMW E60 has a similar setup, but changing the sensitivity in that car has a big influence on frequency of wipers. Even to the point that sometimes increasing it makes them go off immediately, which I've never seen in mine. Generally I like this setup in the clio, but I find it works much better in the BMW.