ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AutoExpress - 197 RoadTest

Verdict: " The Clio's trump cards include nimble handling, determined grip and a supple ride. But the 197 eclipses its hot supermini peers and even challenges some models in the class above. The latest Renaultsport variant packs VW Golf GTI power, yet will set you back about £5,000 less. Although the better-looking 197 is not quite as enjoyably edgy as the much-loved Clio 182 it replaces, it's still an excellent proposition for hot hatch buyers."

car_portal_pic_26312.jpg

Dirty E91
Verdict: " The Clio's trump cards include nimble handling, determined grip and a supple ride. But the 197 eclipses its hot supermini peers and even challenges some models in the class above. The latest Renaultsport variant packs VW Golf GTI power, yet will set you back about £5,000 less. Although the better-looking 197 is not quite as enjoyably edgy as the much-loved Clio 182 it replaces, it's still an excellent proposition for hot hatch buyers."

But as we know what are the chances of the clio putting a reliable 197bhp? I've read the golfs are putting out more than the stated 197bhp plus they have the torque advantage.

Looking forward to having a drive in the clio though, looks are growing on me!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I see they've gone back to conti tyres as well . I wasn't overly impressed with them on my 172 , plus the fronts only lasted 7.5k . It doesn't say if they were developed for the 197 like the exaltos were for the 182 .

I'll stick with my 182 , when its time to change i don't think i'll be lookin' at the 197 as a replacement .

I like this car - I would buy one tomorrow

if it wasnt made by reno - i swore i would never buy reno again after the sh@t service from their dealers and the bad build quality

Dirty E91
Yeah, I think this will be my one and only Renault, thinking S2 Avant or something for my next motor.

Red Clio 197 F1
It's a grower, but still would wait for lighter cup version and 2nd hand.

However I did notice that some have a "push start" and others have key start. Is this an option - if so, I would go with out personally

Lee

BMW M2C
JayJo said:
It's a grower, but still would wait for lighter cup version and 2nd hand.

However I did notice that some have a "push start" and others have key start. Is this an option - if so, I would go with out personally

They come with a push start. They have been using a mock up for a lot of the early photos.

MKIII 138
Sine said:

car_portal_pic_26312.jpg

spend ages cleaning the car then get on hard gravel and clean the diffuser of all the s**t

nice !

still looks a dogs dinner and inside looks nice nothing special though you could really feel the difference in the 172MKII over the standard clio`s that looks identical almost to the normal clio`s