ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

automatic v manual

Clio 1.2
what do people think about automatics? i currently drive a manual but have seen a nice car but its automaitc. any pros/ cons and anything else that anyone can advise? also is it possible to convert automatics into manual?
:S

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd never have one just cos i think it's would be boring not to have gears.

320d
well they use more fuel although the modern auto's arnt much worse than manuals, there are times where i would like an auto like when your messing around round town changing gear constantly for speed bumps etc.

Autos are good if you do a lot of city driving (i.e london, in the rush hour, every day) but if you have an ounce of driving in your blood you will want a manual for when you do get to open road!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
driving one is interesting you need if i were you if you get one take a driving lesson in an automatic firstlike hitting the gass wont make youmove you need to hold thebrake in and stuff, its strange mind you it was an auto bus i had been driving

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Nice , tbh an auto should be fine its only got a small engine and ull be changing gear all the time.

Clio 1.2
thanks for all your help people. am hoping to just have a look at it tomo see what i think. any more advice wil be welcome. lol

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
If you like to drive instead of just getting from A to B, don't bother with an auto. Auto's use more fuel (generally), can be as frustrating as hell when you want to take away quickly ( if the kick down is cream crackered). The engine braking is normally crap, ok if you don't mind relying on your brakes though.

I'd personally only get an auto if my left arm was buggered and my left leg had given up. By then I would consider my driving days were almost over.

Just my opinion though. I HATE AUTO'S!

golf
I drove my mums merc which is auto, didnt feel right at all, felt like i wasnt totally in control.
Arnt auto boxes usually heavier aswell?

willy 2, v6 ph1, 5 turbo.
imagine if renault never used manuals........172..182..willi...v6...5 turbo..gordini..etc..etc..etc.. all were autos.. now that would be a dull world..

i always think automatic cars are for disable people!
my friend drives a semi auto merc A-class & i call him semi disable!:rasp:

visualize whirled pe
well they use more fuel although the modern auto's arnt much worse than manuals, there are times where i would like an auto like when your messing around round town changing gear constantly for speed bumps etc.

Same reason my dad ended up with an auto. If you are stuck in motorway ques and sat in traffic in town every time you go anywhere then an auto box is a luxury.
The 0-60 times on some (usually higher powered) vehicles are quicker with an auto or semi auto than with a manual because the gear change (and sometimes having fewer gears and longer gearing) is more efficiant than a person could change.

On cars like a clio with small engines this isnt such an issue (infact it's reversed the situation) but the bottom line imo is manual = more fun, even more so when you get a good stretch of B road.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
If its a small engine it must be manual,you'll need to work the car to get it to go anywhere

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
id only have an auto in a half decent exec car, like E class, 5 series etc.

maybe DSG semi auto also