ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aux belt changed?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Sorry to bring this timing belt aux belt thing up as it seems to be a very common thread!

I have just bought a 172 cup. One of the conditions of the sale was that the garage had the timing belt changed for me as it was slightly overdue. 3 days later I picked it up, they assured me that everything had been done, so I asked for the receipts for the belt change. They did not have them because they had forgotten to collect from the other garage where the work was carried out. So I organised them to post them to me.

A week later nothing so my mum has just been and picked the receipt up for me. It has a timing belt and tensioner listed on it, but no mention of the aux belt, which I had assumed had to be changed with the timing belt! I rang the garage and checked if it had, they said " yes it has been changed, the aux belt comes in the timing belt kit that is why it’s not on the receipt" so I told them the belt didn't look very new and they said "sometimes new belts look old!"

This sounds like complete rubbish to me but I am new to Renaults and not a mechanic so I was hoping for some advice,.

The part number for the belt kit is G/5507xs. I don't know if it’s a genuine Renault part.
Any help would be great because I just looked at the picture of what can happen if a aux belt goes .
Cheers, Will

If you take their word for it and sometime down the line it snaps and causes alot of damage you'd be covered anyway wouldn't you? Aslong as you have that receipt stating it's been done.

Skoda Fabia vRS
that looks to be a Gates part number, not genuine Renault

aux belts do NOT come in timing belt kits, unless things have changed very recently, ive been doing parts for 6 years so i know the market pretty well

also, not only the belt should be changed, the aux belt tensioners need changing aswell, to the best of my knowledge this kit is only available from Renault and its around £100, nearly as much as the timing kit, how much is the receipt for ?

172 cup has different belt set up to the other 1*2s. There is no tensioner that needs to be changed on the aux belt.

The belt is only about 10 quid and is easy to change if you are worried change it yourself. It is tensioned by the alternator.

Gates = Renault without the diamond :)

Mondeo TDCI 130
No problem with a gates kit pal, there ok,

As said, new aux belt is about £12 from renault, and a ten minute job!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thats very good to know. I got a cup because of its relative simplicity. I will get the belt sorted tomorrow if I can get hold of one on a Sunday!

Where is the best place to get a belt from and do I need any special tools? How do I check the tension in the new belt?

Is Gates stuff alright or should I be worried about the timing belt?

Mondeo TDCI 130
no gates is fine, renault is the same just packaged differently! Errr, get a genuine one, try lookers chester but the parts will prob be shut on a sunday!

no, 13,, spanner or ratchet, 10MM spanner, 16mm spanner / ratchet!!

usual rule is at the longest stretch you should just be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees! Make sure you know how it goes around the pulleys if your un familiar with them!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks for the advice. I am down in leicester, at uni, at the mo but will pop to a dealer on Monday sometime.

This has saved me alot of time and money!!

Bit of a random and probably stupid question but what avantages do you get for becoming a club member??

Mondeo TDCI 130
You can view the entire forum, and you get free stuff! ha ha, get discounts at loads of places!

Do it! :)

Skoda Fabia vRS
yup as above, didnt read your 'Car:' yours doesnt have a tensioner so its just a belt

and Gates stuff is more than fine, the majority of OE kits are Gates

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I haven't been able to get an aux belt but have just had a look at my car. Could I get a bit more advice with regards to the change.

It looks pretty simple but was just wondering the best way to go about it. The only thing I ain't sure about is the adjustment of the tensioner/altenator. Am I right in thinking that I loosen the tensioner/altenator off swap belts and re-tension?

If this is true then the only thing I aint quite sure about is how to loosen the tensioner/altenator, I have an idea but don't wanna mess it up. I'm pretty detemined to do this myself but because of the potential damage of a failed aux belt im abit nervous!!!

Undo the 16mm (iirc) bolt that the alternator pivots on. Then loosen the 13mm alternator clamp. Undo the 10mm tensioner nut to release the tension. Remove belt, but note which way it goes around the pulleys, in particular the water pump. Reverse procedure to refit. Tension wise if it doesn't squeak it is probably OK. You should be able to twist it about 90 degrees on the longest straight.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thank you.

Its going in for engine mounts on wednesday because I don't have time/knowledge to do it myself so I will get the tension checked then, the mechanic is really sound so sure he won't mind checkin for me.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Cheers for the info on the belt change. Did it today and it was pretty easy. only problem I had was that for some reason i didn't have a 16mm spanner. Got it sorted tho. I have another question! I replaced the belt and made sure i put it back round the pullys the way the old 1 came off. I have run the car and all seems fine, but lookin at another thread (which i can't find now) the route around the pullys is diffrent on the picture.

I have worked out that all the pullys will be turning in the same direction on both setups but wanna make sure I have it right!!!

do you know where i can find a diagram or pic that is correct for a 172 cup?

Lionel Richie
i would be checking if they actually changed the timing belt too to be honest, they've fed you a load of b****cks about the aux belt

i'm over birmingham way if you won't me to have a look

Correct route. You can go the other way around the water pump with a 5 rib belt, with a 6 it will rub on the cam belt cover.
attachment.php

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thank you

Thats how I did it. During the change I noticed I have got a leak on my power steering pump. Are they hard to change?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Cheers for the offer bout having a look at the timing belt for me. Im pretty sure they have done the timing belt because I have a recipt for it and the tensioners and the labour. So if they haven't and something happens they will be in alot of s**t!!
Now you have said it it does make me wonder. Is there a way I can check the belt easily without having to drive over to see you and waste your time?

cheers, Will