ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

aux belt problem

182 BG
I noticed recently that on full lock the steering has been making a horrible noise on full lock only and it got alot worse yesterday i looked at.the aux belt and the tensioner spring is resting on the belt wearing a nice groove in the centre. The tensioner is only 4 months old has the tensioner failed?

Many.
Or been fitted incorrectly.

I assume the spring is in a sort of C shape? If so, that is very wrong yeah, New tensioner time!

Renault Clio182 bean
Unusual, the full lock noise would normally be down to either a noisey PAS pump or Dirty PAS fluid, The issue with the tensioner should provide a constant noise if its rubbing on the belt, can you get some pictures up?? Do not drive the car if the aux belt is wearing on the tensioner as if it snaps it will take the cambelt out on its way!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I would say full lock could easily create noise from any pulley as it loads the belt system up.

and I wouldn't even start the car again until the issue is sorted, if you take the cambelt out you wont be a happy bunny

Many.
Unusual, the full lock noise would normally be down to either a noisey PAS pump or Dirty PAS fluid, The issue with the tensioner should provide a constant noise if its rubbing on the belt, can you get some pictures up?? Do not drive the car if the aux belt is wearing on the tensioner as if it snaps it will take the cambelt out on its way!

It could just be as theres more pressure on the belt from the PAS pump at full lock (its trying to push fluid where it shouldn't go!) and the belt/tensioner is what the noise is.

Or, it could well be the pump on its way out etc.

Renault Clio182 bean
It could just be as theres more pressure on the belt from the PAS pump at full lock (its trying to push fluid where it shouldn't go!) and the belt/tensioner is what the noise is.

Or, it could well be the pump on its way out etc.

True, it will have an effect on auxillary load, although pas wont pump/hold more pressure in the rack than it needs so a spool valve opens to release some oil/pressure back to the return(normally resulting in an air/whine noise) even though the pumps at full pressure, ideally we need pictures of the belt tensioner to give any accurate info. It does sound like aux tensioner is caput though lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
sounds to me like that one I saw pic of few weeks back with a banana shaped spring tensioner, looked mental. totally fubar

182 BG
The spring looks straight it's just touching the water pump pulley (I think it's the waterpump pulley) I pushed the tensioner away a little (with difficulty) and turned the engine over and it just sat back on the belt typically happened over Christmas period when all the garages round here are closed

182 BG
Well... I bought a new tensioner after a lot of effing and such I got the old tensioner off what's the best way to get it out of the engine bay it's like a square peg in a round hole at the moment, looks like the best option is to remove the alternator but would appreciate Any help

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's a tricky one to explain and I'd still want to know why a 4 month old tensioner has failed before considering fitting another new one