ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AWT Matched Inlets for 172 / 182

Clio Sport 172
Has anyone done the matched inlet thing? Whats your opinion on it?
Has anyone got an AWT Inlet?

What would be better : Throttle Bodies / Matched Inlets???

If I do Matched inlet + Decat ( 4-2-1 ) Branch + Chip Tune for my 172, it would move right???

Clio Sport 172
Sorry if that sounded stupid? I'm not too clued up on all this engine stuff, I just like going fast!!! I was just wanting to know if the matched inlets is good enough to do while I save some money for throttle bodies! Or should i just leave it till I get the throttle bodies?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I've just fitted my inlets. It's not the kick up the arse I expected but definatley makes a difference in the mid range.

I think the difference is difficult to detect because the power delivery is so much smoother.

As for which to go for, budget is the key.

cup 182 mit stripes
Fess up Len , there's next to no difference. Next time you'll heed your uncle Jim, yes sir, by golly, yuk yuk yuk.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Fess up Len , there's next to no difference. Next time you'll heed your uncle Jim, yes sir, by golly, yuk yuk yuk.

You could be right but I'm waiting for a back to back with a mates standard 172. I could never feed your ego by admitting it though Jimmy ;)

80MPG BEEZA
i found mine pulls abit better mid range in 2nd 3rd and 4th wouldnt say its a mod that goes wow its miles faster but better then an IK or zorst

Chocolate Bar™
depends on the condition of the original inlets. mine made a massive difference, but then my original inlets were almost laughable.

80MPG BEEZA
depends on the condition of the original inlets. mine made a massive difference, but then my original inlets were almost laughable.

ben said mine were averagly bad so obv not the worst but if your after a more responsive clio and not wuite ready to go all out on b's or turbo you may aswell do a few things to liven it up

172 FF
inlets i think are a bit of a gamble i want to do mine but i dislike knowing that it might not make a diffrence, however it might make a huge difference.

cup 182 mit stripes
Could we be getting round to finally admitting that BenR, stan asterisk and others, have been pulling the wool over your naive little eyes lol.

Could we be getting round to finally admitting that BenR, stan asterisk and others, have been pulling the wool over your naive little eyes lol.

Or we could get numerous tunners and many forum members on here to argue the opposite is to and there prefere the way the car is post work rarther than pre the modification work.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
The difference in the actual size of the inlet tracts between the two manifolds was amazing to be honest. I found it difficult to believe that Renault could let such crap casting leave the factory.

In theory, it should make a difference. I am always dubious though as the noise from my exhaust often lulls you into a false sense of extra speed. I am trying not to be pulled in by a placebo but I think I can definately feel extra pull in the mid-range and this was confirmed by a mate of mine who drives the car quite regularly.

I had mine matched last week , Ben said mine was pretty good , so the gain was gonna be small!

When i came out of Ben's place the car reved free'er , and it was smooth! it does feel quick tho!

172's gain more than 182's !

leon

is there evidence that this mod has been carried out looking from the outside?

ie, will the insurance people ever find out if my friend had it done to his orange 182?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
is there evidence that this mod has been carried out looking from the outside?

ie, will the insurance people ever find out if my friend had it done to his orange 182?
None whatsoever. I doubt they'd pick up on it if they stripped the engine, but why would they go that far. Just plead ignorance, sorry, tell your friend to plead ignorance.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Drive in Drive out on an exchange basis I wouldn't be wanting to pay more than £250 to include the removal of the old manifold and fitting of new one :) Whack on £100 if you want to keep your original manifold :)

£240 from angelwork's !

Ben gave me the choice , if i wanted more touqe or more 5k kick, as i lost some of the FEELING of the 5k kick in the rstuning remap i went for the kick!

It feel's quick at high rev's, and ive got the extra touqe from the remap!

I think it breath's better , feel's more responsive revving!

leon

JMR

RB 182 Cup
£240 from angelwork's !

Ben gave me the choice , if i wanted more touqe or more 5k kick, as i lost some of the FEELING of the 5k kick in the rstuning remap i went for the kick!

It feel's quick at high rev's, and ive got the extra touqe from the remap!

I think it breath's better , feel's more responsive revving!

leon

Spot on Leon,

I went for the RS tuning remap and it made a good difference esp in pull from low to mid range.

I also lost that 5k kick, but think its because the engine revs more smoothly and with more grunt low down. Hence the smoother blend at 5k.

Ben did some work on my 172 a few weeks back and we noticed the "step" was quite noticable when he removed the inlet manifold. So mine should benefit from matching.

For 240 notes i'm gonna get it done. I dont have any intention of swapping the car til next year so i might as well get as much enjoyment as i can out of it until then.

Just a matter finding a free saturday or day off in the week.

james

182 Trophy
Good mod this one, quite expensive for what gains you get but still worth it imo. Engine just seems much freer revving and has more urgency...but don't part with £230+ expecting mega gains like some people do!

Leon, did you get the remap and the inlets done at the same time?

surely you'll be better off with the remap after the inlet has been done, so the map will throw it into the equation?

193 mk2

I was one of the first to have this done way back, when benR offered it up as a group buy & i wanted proof of its benefits, so i had back to back rolling road tests on the same rollers & it gave me 13bhp increase with nothing else done between tests but the inlets & done on the same day.What better proof is there than that. this is by far the best mod for the money. but as said before its benefits depend on the casting of the inlets, the worse the casting the better the gains.
matt.

193 mk2
just found the RR read outs.
169.73 bhp at the fly before.
182.78 bhp at the fly after.
the only other mods i had was an itg maxagen i.k. & a magnex zourst.
hope this helps.
matt.

cup 182 mit stripes
Are you the source of Ben's 13 bhp claims ? Nice to meet you. Where have you been all this time?

193 mk2
lol probably yes & nice to meet you too. both me & benR were very pleased with the results. i did a bigish write up at the time, but it was nearly 2 years ago. i'd put up the graphs but i don't know how soz.
matt.

Leon, did you get the remap and the inlets done at the same time?[/quote]

I got the remap done first , only coz RStuning could fit me in before Angelworks!

It's the same generic map @ RStuning/Angelwork's , i'm north west so i went to Leed's for the map!

If you live down south get the inlet's/map at the same time! the drive home will be fun:)

leon