ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back box

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i was thinking of getting a backbox for my phase1 1.4rt, i was gonna get a powerflow but was wondering if anybody else could recomend anything

let me know...

This is jsut my opinion but I used to have a 1.4 clio and had 4 different systems at one point or another.

Firstly dont expect a power gain from a backbox. So long as you dont then thats fine. It will look and sound better and you will probably drive your car harder as a result, but you wont gain power really.

Due to this, I dont think it is as important to go with a proven company that conduct R+D into their products. If you were going for a full system this might be a consideration (it would be for me) but with just a backbox it wont really matter.

So what the decision usually comes down to is tailpipe design and how loud you want it. On both these fronts the custom exhaust places like Powerflow, Top Gear etc are your best bet, but be aware that as they are basically franchises, the qualtity can differ considerably between dealers.

Personally I can recommend Big City Tyres in Nottingham for weld quality and service but dont mind paying a bit more, or Top Gear in West Brom if you want it cheap and dont mind waiting around whilst a pre-pubescent child fabricates your exhaust.

Ive got an Ashley backbox on mine. Sounds nice and looks good. It is only mild steel though but this makes it quite cheap compared to other exhausts.

www.ashleycompetitionexhausts.com

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i know it wont give me a power gain, i am not that bothered i am pritty strict on the speed limit as i already have 6 points so know room for more.

the reason i looked at powerflow is its got the garentee, you can chose the sound and tailpipe, its also stainless,
the peco boxer range is £130 + around 10 to 15 for fitting so only bout 5 sqiuds cheaper than what i have been quoted at powerflow.

i dont want mild steel as they rot quicker than stainless

Quote: i dont want mild steel as they rot quicker than stainless

True, but it all depends on how long your going to keep the car for