ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Back to the old skool! Bucket and sponge...

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
So my car is completely filthy. Doesn't look like I'll be getting out to the local jetwash any time soon... I do have a home one at my mums, but as she's over 70 I'm not entering her house. I don't really have any alternatives other than going old skool and attacking it with a bucket and sponge before polishing etc.

Been years since I've done this, and this time round I want to do a proper job (or as near as I can get) any recommended products and methods to get the best results?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What ?

Do you want recommendations for buckets and sponges ?

Or "the best" things money can buy to clean your car ?

As far as I'm aware, you live in a flat... Do you have an outside tap ? Got a pressure washer ?

Do you have a polisher, Rotary or DA ?

Do you have anything at all or are you starting from scratch ?

Have you got £10 to spend or a few hundred ? What do you need to achieve ? Full correction and ceramic seal or just throwing some suds over it to get the winters crud off it ?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I have everything I need for after the 'wash' stage but usually I just blast it with the jetwash first before starting anything else - Therefore I'm looking to replace that stage. I'm talking about things like 2 bucket method? Grit catchers? Something better than a £1 sponge?

Don't want to spend loads as it's not forever. Unfortunately do not have an outside tap (went searching for one around the block today on my walk!)

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member

I got one of the above for car washing, it works brilliantly through a tap or as a self primer through a bucket

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I don't have an outside tap so I use a little garden hand sprayer. Works really well. The only down side is the flow rate of water if you need to use a lot of water quickly for like getting under wheel arches etc. But I can rinse my E34 with 8ltr of water, although it is very rarely dirty to need a proper good hose down.

I got one of the above for car washing, it works brilliantly through a tap or as a self primer through a bucket
Wait, what...this looks ideal. How big is that little bucket thing? From the pictures you just put the inlet pipe into it so you could just use any other open topped water source/container?

There must be a jetwash at a petrol station near you. Use that to remove the caked on crud, then Optimum No Rinse in a third of a bucket and a second bucket to rinse your mitt will get you as clean as any “normal” wash. In fact cleaner as you don’t have to worry about water spots using this method.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
There's one I know of but will it even be available to use? I usually go Clean Park, and they've taken all the equipment away so no one can use it!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the battery and power like @MatthewR

Im in a similar situation where i dont have water access. I either use jetwash at work or take my buckets and pre wash to the local jetwash, but that takes money each time, so long term, i'd be better buying something for me to keep. I like the bigger bucket idea.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the battery and power like @MatthewR

Im in a similar situation where i dont have water access. I either use jetwash at work or take my buckets and pre wash to the local jetwash, but that takes money each time, so long term, i'd be better buying something for me to keep. I like the bigger bucket idea.

With a fully charged battery I can easily do the car once over with some spare, power wise it's perfect for cleaning the car, upvc etc however I wouldn't like to jet wash a patio with it

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in a similar situation I usually use the local jet wash with the 2 bucket method but I don't know if the jet wash is open tbh. Even just a quick blast to get the worse off before driving home and washing would be handy it's filthy and in desperate need at the minute.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Having my car this filthy is actually stressing me out 😬 plus I bought a new car just before the lockdown and so now I have two filthy cars.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
With a fully charged battery I can easily do the car once over with some spare, power wise it's perfect for cleaning the car, upvc etc however I wouldn't like to jet wash a patio with it

Upon some research, you can get a bigger battery that doubles the time and ups the the pressure power. 4ah over the standard 2ah.