ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bad idle/wanting to cut out :/ ?

clio 182
right so ive had the 182 a few months now it was fine untill last month, every single morning, and just about every single time i start my car, it seems to idle at 1k but wants to cut out, but it wont actually cut out as when the revs do drop it revs it self up,

i drive down the street as if its in a limp mode, i put my foot down in 1st gear and it wont move hardly, then starts backfiring/poping, you have to put it into neutral and give it a few high revs to "clear" it then it will be fine till the next time you start it

took it to a garage and no body knows, one person has told me it could be a "cold idle vavlue" or somthing along them lines?

i had a new gearbox,clutch and drive shaft 2 weeks ago and it stopped doing it for a few days and has just come back, but i cant see that being related?

someone please help me this is so anooying :(

Idle managment unit, get it hooked up on a diagnostics, when was it last serviced? that might do it some good

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Mines doing the same since about a month or so now its wierd only on first start up...

If you find out what it is let me now mate...

Clio 1.2 16v
sounds like the coil pack to me hesitant acceleration, rough idle, hunting for revs, cutting out now and again these are all signs of a faulty coil pack or leads also check spark plugs there often neglectid on a service or just in general but it deffinetly sounds like a ignition system problem!

Clio 197
i would say coilpack however the fact it only happens when cold means it may not be the case....do they have an Idle Control Valve (ICV)?

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Mines realy bad now after leaving my car for a good few days it doesent seem to be going away, the way it is now its undrivable... It starts up fine then a few secs later it cuts out and juders, so I have to turn it off start up the car again and it just does the same, before today it would only do it 4 times out off 25 then go away... now it seems permenent... My plugs were ngk new in September...

Clio 1.2 16v
It may just be that its more apparent when the engine is cold not when it has warmed up.......does it hesitate when driving and accelerating or even decellerating??

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
When its started to warm up it wont go away now... It seems permanent now rather than just when its cold on first start up...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
clean the throttle body on it, its free to do so a good place to start, after that id be looking at coil pack, leads and lambda, but really you need to get it plugged in first!

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
I cleened the trotal body out already and cheked my fairly new ngk platnum plugs theres no oil or watter on them etc and are the correct colour and at the correct torque 25nm... The back of the coil pack seemes to had craked so im going to replace the coilpack...

Had it pluged in says upstream oxygen sensor circuit (not present) So does this meen I need a new pre cat Lambda sensor ????
Downstram oxegen sensor heating circuit (present)
B1044 - Ignition Lines Configuration (signal not coherent) (present) Is this the coil pack or leads ????
66 - Injection multiplexed emissions missing ???????

I do have a decat asweel...

The guy dident realy say much apart from the car not being standard and this is what happems when you mess about with it seemed to be an ass hat tbh and sed that its going to cost alot of money to fix so I f**ked off with the fualt codes...

Last edited:
  182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Also Bi-Mode Air Solenoid Valve ( Not Present) Is this becouse I have removed the acoustic valve for my ITG Maxogen ?????
Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Circuit (Not Present) Is this becouse I have removed the acoustic valve for my ITG Maxogen?????
Cruse Controle/Seed Limit (Falt on one of the two brake pedal contacts (Not Present) Is this becouse I removed the Cruse Controle Buttons for a race wheel ?????

Mk2 Ph2 Clio II 1.6 16v
Clean the idle air valve (both the valve and the bit where it sits on the intake) and then have a look at the coilpack...my friends car had rusty connections on the coilpack, he cleaned it up and the fault dissapeared.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Clean the idle air valve (both the valve and the bit where it sits on the intake) and then have a look at the coilpack...my friends car had rusty connections on the coilpack, he cleaned it up and the fault dissapeared.

Its controlled by the ECU, ph2 doesn't even have a separate idle valve, its all done by the throttle body...

And theres nothing wong with the idel at first but a few seconds later the engine just seems to cut out but not stall...

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Circuit (Not Present)

Actualy is this the charcoal/carbon 'cannister'

Golf GTD Mk7
Also Bi-Mode Air Solenoid Valve ( Not Present) Is this becouse I have removed the acoustic valve for my ITG Maxogen ?????
Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Circuit (Not Present) Is this becouse I have removed the acoustic valve for my ITG Maxogen?????
Cruse Controle/Seed Limit (Falt on one of the two brake pedal contacts (Not Present) Is this becouse I removed the Cruse Controle Buttons for a race wheel ?????

Canister Purge Solenoid Valve Circuit (Not Present)

Actualy is this the charcoal/carbon 'cannister'

Yes and yes. If you ever pop over lancashire way i'll plug her in for you ;) Have you tried swapping your lambda sensors round?

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Changed coil pack as it had prity bad crakes on the underside - however this made no diffrence
Changed pre cat lambda sensor - sorted the problem out

A big thanks to fred at btm for the amazing price on both the parts daliverd very very fast on a next day dalivery...

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Yes and yes. If you ever pop over lancashire way i'll plug her in for you ;) Have you tried swapping your lambda sensors round?

Can you turn off the air bag lights permanantly as I havent got any fitted as I have 4 points etc...