ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bad staining on wheels....what to use?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Since September my red f1's have had really bad staining on them, not entirely sure what it is, its on the inside of the spokes. Presume its just dirt and break dust.

Today I decided to have another go at tackling them, so went to tesco and got some wonder wheels as last time i tried i used bilberry and it didn't touch it,.

Got home, used loads of wonder wheels and agitation and nope, nothing, still stained.

So, any stronger wheel cleaners out there? I need the strongest ideally.

Pearce

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Car Plan Wonder Wheels
Okay, so this is basically brick acid. Acidic based wheel cleaner. Not reccomended for regular use. However, it will make short work of stubborn brake dust and is in reach for people who need something ASAP. Id invest in Espuma instead.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Car Plan Wonder Wheels
Okay, so this is basically brick acid. Acidic based wheel cleaner. Not reccomended for regular use. However, it will make short work of stubborn brake dust and is in reach for people who need something ASAP. Id invest in Espuma instead.

Already tried that today, is espuma harsher?

Pearce

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Dunno mate if you read it I think it's weaker I just copied and pasted from that thread

IronX, Fallout Remover, Clay Them. It will most likely be baked on break dust, did you seal them at all when they were powdercoated?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
IronX, Fallout Remover, Clay Them. It will most likely be baked on break dust, did you seal them at all when they were powdercoated?

No :eek:

I learnt from this though and sealed my new wheels.

Which of them is strongest? Dont think clay would work since the staining is so smooth.

Not sure on the strongest. Claying wont 'damage' the wheels put should pull anything off the paintwork thats left after Using IronX.

I'd use IronX, if you can see it changing to a pinky colour, its working.

Not a 320d
There all nancy pancy 'must protect the precious paint' cleaners though

Really?

There, as in they're?

As in, Me, Im a nancy pancy must protect my wheels?

I think youll find my wheels are in appauling state with metal filings all over them.

If you could be arsed to read the description on the first product, Espuma Revolution, youd find that its very powerful, like brick acid strength, only non acidic. As in wont damage the finish.

I use it all the time, on my own.

Its slightly harsher if you use it neat.

Some idea of the stains would help. Might need a good cutting compund/polish on them if its ground in stains. Try Clay etc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't understand the nancy pancy comment? Surely you're in here for that exact reason?

Get some megs wheels brightener or something similar, tardis, iron x, clay them Werkstat prime strong (this wll make the biggest difference) then seal.

You did ask.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure on the strongest. Claying wont 'damage' the wheels put should pull anything off the paintwork thats left after Using IronX.

I'd use IronX, if you can see it changing to a pinky colour, its working.

Tardis, IronX, Clay

I'll give this iron x stuff a go and then clay them, cheers.

Also, regarding the nancy comment it was only a joke lol, I did have a quick look over that thread but everything looked a bit safe and good if its a regular clean but not for stuck on stuff, I have some bilberry for regular use now i've learnt to protect wheels when they are new.

I'll try and photo the stains Toby.

Really?

There, as in they're?

As in, Me, Im a nancy pancy must protect my wheels?

I think youll find my wheels are in appauling state with metal filings all over them.

If you could be arsed to read the description on the first product, Espuma Revolution, youd find that its very powerful, like brick acid strength, only non acidic. As in wont damage the finish.

I use it all the time, on my own.

Its slightly harsher if you use it neat.

Some idea of the stains would help. Might need a good cutting compund/polish on them if its ground in stains. Try Clay etc.

Lol at Toby taking on the new mods ;)

I can't really add to the above, Mike. A decent cleaner, followed by a good polish/protect will see you right.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Pics of staining here, its really hard to picture but you can just about see it

IMG_0830.jpg

Can see it on the second spoke here too:

IMG_0828.jpg

Ignore the big black bit of dirt in the corner, that will come off easy. Its the watermarked style staining i'm on about.

Hmm, that is different. Can you feel it? Looks like the coating has bubbled or the colour has faded under the lacquer. Dont quote me on that.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, that is different. Can you feel it? Looks like the coating has bubbled or the colour has faded under the lacquer. Dont quote me on that.

Nope its smooth, wasn't there before my cadwell evening in august. Only on the fronts too.

Only difference to normal I can think of is it was the first time I used DS2500's, but they aren't that dusty.

Id say the heat of the brakes have caused the paint to fade in selected areas. Don't know how possible that is with powder coating but with it being smooth, only on the fronts and happening after a track day its most likely.

Probably when the brakes are cooling when the cars stopped in the pits the heat has risen through the alloy and heated the paintwork up. Assume its just 2/3 spokes on each/one wheel? Presumably that part was at the top of the wheel (heat rises ;)).

If its smooth, I dont think anything will shift it.

That's in the powder coat surely. Re-furb if your THAT bothered.

You're.

Before drastic measures start being banded about, Mike, try some simple polish/cleaners. Have you tried SRP on a pad? Or a Menz polish like 203s? Or Lime Prime? All have a bit of cut and I would suggest will shift the marks no problem.

Halifax as in West Yorks? If so, might be worth trying to find someone local who can have a gander. Are you ever down this way (South Mancs)?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like something caustic has been used, like when strong g101 sits for too long without washing off.

I hate acidic wheel cleaners!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You're.

Before drastic measures start being banded about, Mike, try some simple polish/cleaners. Have you tried SRP on a pad? Or a Menz polish like 203s? Or Lime Prime? All have a bit of cut and I would suggest will shift the marks no problem.

Halifax as in West Yorks? If so, might be worth trying to find someone local who can have a gander. Are you ever down this way (South Mancs)?

Yeh, west yorks. I occasionally pop your way if I go to trafford, i'll msg you next time if I still need to.

Not tried any polish, I have some srp in the garage so will give that a go :)

Looks like something caustic has been used, like when strong g101 sits for too long without washing off.

I hate acidic wheel cleaners!

Nothing acidic was used until this weekend when I bought wonder wheels to try and combat it. Only wheel cleaner I had used previously was bilberry.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I might give the front wheels a go with Iron-x tomorrow. The insides of the wheels are in bad state, have been since i got the car. Annoys me so much I'm consider dropping £650 on new Turinis :/
I like perfection :)

Good to hear Mike buddy.

Aucky, you'd be amazed at how well wheels will come up with a bit of TLC and some decent products like Tardis, IronX and a decent cleaner.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Clay I think is the key to getting that final new finish.

It's shocks a lot of people how well their wheels come up with a little effort.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Jamie did this Jamie did that... story of my life. :(