ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ball joint pinch bolt problem.

Black 182 FF
Mine appears to be welded in and spanners/sockets etc just spin off the head. I've tried soaking it in WD40 etc, what I want to know is will it hammer out?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
If you hit it hard enough yes.., but chances are it will ruin the Thread so put the nut on, and use a punch small emough to go into the nut so you dont wreck the threads.. If that doesnt work jsut smack it with a hammer and buy a new bolt...

Last edited:
  Black 182 FF
Had to give in as it was getting darker and it hadn't moved a millimetre. Hopefully that was due to my poncey hammer. I'll try again tomorrow.

Black 182 FF
4lb lump hammer and a bit of brute force sorted the problem. Was a bit of a pig to get the ball joint out of the hub too and it done this to my ball joint splitter:
th_IMAG0239.jpg

Then on putting the new one in and it being very tight I got a bit creative with the jack and the driveshaft came out resulting in losing a litre or more of relatively new gear oil :( After eventually lining the ball joint up with the hub and jacking the car up by the ball joint, then also using a chisel to open up where the ball joint fits in it seemed to be going nowhere, until a two footed kick/push with the soles of my trainers on the brake disc was just enough to get the ball joint into the hub.

Once I get it through it's MOT I might do the otherside, at least I'll be prepared now.