ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ball joints

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
just a quick question, what are the symptoms of excessively worn ball joints?

never had a problem with ball joints in my puff.

In your puff?
Symptons are the searings a bit less precice will depend how badly there worn though the dci feels no different with new ones the Williams made a bit of differance but only slightly (54k and 104k respectifully)

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
no other tell tale signs by way of noises etc?

my steering is far from precise anyway, but thats most likely down to the fact the steelies are now back on....

They'll 'knock' when pullling off.

If in doubt, just replace them...max 15/20mins per side...IIRC they're only about 15quid each.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
cheers!

i've got a cracking/knocking noise when pulling off, but also on cornering (only when accelerating, not if the accelerator is balanced, or i lift off completely)...

any idea's?

the plan is just to replace all the bushes, both ball joints and strut bearings in one go, cause to the best of my knowledge, these havent ever been changed and im on 80k!

Yeah balljoints need doing then.

Wouldn't bother with the bushes or top mounts unless the strut is moving/can be moved about. 80k isn't that much, especially if they haven't been disturbed.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
so the knocking when accelerating on cornering is likely just to be the ball joints?

if so, you've just made my night! :)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yep, most likely. I got mine for a fiver each from atrade place, when you take them off wiggles them and then try to wiggle the new ones, completly different! Mine were gone by 65k but then it is lowered so that might make a difference.

EvilJohn said:
Yep, most likely. I got mine for a fiver each from atrade place, when you take them off wiggles them and then try to wiggle the new ones, completly different! Mine were gone by 65k but then it is lowered so that might make a difference.
Could just be your tyres in this weather. Also check your mounts and driveshafts for any play/knocking mine have been doing this.
Mine went in 53k in the dci it was only lowered for a few month maybe 8k.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
my cars been lowered (60mm) for a year now, around 30k covered in that year.

Never fully understood how to 'check' driveshafts though, might sound really stupid to some though! lol

checked the dogbone mount, and the left hand mount looks ok, wouldnt have thought this would cause the knocking on cornering anyway though?

To check the driveshafts have a llo at the rubber gaiters for any cracks (sometimes difficult to do with them in place). Then grap hold at one end and see if there any play in it at either end.