ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banging when flooring it in 1st!

Trophy

Am i right in thinking that the banging i am experiencing from the underneath of my Cup when accelerating heavily in 1st is a loose engine mount? It happens all the time and does not need to be in the wet and the wheels do not spin.

Cheers,

Mat.

Gone so soon on a Cup? My cup used to do this alot before I lowered the Tyre pressures in the front. Now, after I have got it rolling, I can floor it and get pretty good traction. Before this the wheels used to bounce and make a very loud banging.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

mat,

if you do a search there is loads of threads about this problem, a couple of people managed to find the soloution, although since I got my new toyo proxies (and it hasnt rained since) my car doesnt wheelspin anymore when flooring in 1st

Mine did it from new, apparently it is an engine mount which has not been tightened correctly, and a very common problem. im gonna get mine sorted at first service i think.

chris

Could be a bit of axel tramp?

172bhp throught the front tyres, in first. Come on not from a standstill you wont, get her rolling a bit then bam.

Ive had three Clios now, a 1.4 16v, a 172 and a Willy.....all three bang like a b*****d under heavy acceleration. Ive given up worrying about it!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

did you hit an oil patch on a icey rainy day after coating your tyres in teflon ? ;)

matt i am having exsacatly the same problem but renault couldnt fit me in till the end of march to get it repaired!

i sometimes get it when putting my foot down in second too! mine sounds like its comming from the passenger side wheel, i think it could be the axel or worse suspension!

Quote: Originally posted by Norfolk-172 on 24 March 2003

Could be a bit of axel tramp?

172bhp throught the front tyres, in first. Come on not from a standstill you wont, get her rolling a bit then bam.

Um, how?

its FWD.......i.e. there is no live rear axle!.....thus no tramp!

Trophy

And im not talking about from a standstill, already rolling.

Car is going in for the passenger seat runner to be replaced so ill get them to do it at the same time.

Cheers Folks,

Mat.

BenR

Sorry for being less than perfect in my description of "axel tramp" you will have to excuse us mere mortals for not knowing everything about everything in the world of car mechanicals.

What I was refering to in my igronant fashion was when driving a powerful font wheel drive car, in my humble experiance, I have being able to make the front of the car bounce and bang like a good un. I described this as "axel tramp"

;)

RB5 & 172

mine has started to make a very strange noise (banging) since i fitted a magnex to it.

in 1st and 2nd gear with my foot hard down it start to make the noise. i am coming to the conclusion it is breaking traction as it only seem to do it on rough roads or coming out of corners with a uneven wieght over the front wheels. it never did it before i fitted my zorst though and i can not really pin down where the noise is coming from, dont think its an engine mount though.

any ideas?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I fitted toyo proxies, that has seemed to solve the problem (in the dry anyway.. havent tested in the wet)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

it did before the toyo proxies.. as soon as it started spinning you would get wap wap wap wap... very annoying, and at first I was very concerned about the safety of the car.

I havent got round to looking at the engine mount as I have lost my radio code, and you have to remove the battery..

So when I go to Renualt to get the paint fixed on my car I will ask them for the radio code again.

CTR EK9 turbo

yep its the engine mount beneath the battery coming loose. Both me and VR6MAN have had it and got it repaired, but it does come back. Mine was fixed for ages and i do really thrash it loads 100% of the time and its only just started to come back. knock knock knock.......

If your garage cant fix it, get them to ring my garage who can and have fixed a few 172s with the problem: SMC Woking (where EVO took their V6 apparently) 01483 720322

Hope that helps, si

RB5 & 172

cheers si, but i really dont think its the engine mount. its not knocking, sounds almost like its bouncing of the rev limiter, unless thats what your sounded like?