ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Barnett's ph2 odyssey first car

Arctic 182FF
Student loan went in one go on stuff for the car once. Miss those days haha
Haha same really. In hindsight I shouldn't have got a new laptop and just got more car bits instead :p

Coilovers going on tomorrow, wheels will be refurbished in white before Christmas hopefully

Arctic 182FF
Coilovers were fitted yesterday by Danlp6. Ride is crashy as f**k now but atleast it's sitting nice and low. I personally think it looks much better now, this should've been the first mod I did.
2012-11-26_14-27-30_34.jpg

2012-11-26_15-08-08_329.jpg

I'm hoping the back will settle down a little further as they were brand new springs, if they don't I'll be taking the adjust plates out to get it a bit lower.

Gold wheels have been taken off and the 172's are back on for now. Will be dropping the gold ones off at city powdercoating on Wednesday for a refurb in a less vile colour :)

Arctic 182FF
Small update today. Put on sport door handles for the interior and picked up my freshly refurbished alloys from city powder coating. Unfortunately I ended up waiting outside for an hour and a half for them to finish the refurb, despite the fact I had been told they would be finished yesterday afternoon and I had informed them I was going to be coming first thing this morning. Wouldn't have minded so much if the guy had apologised or given me some money off when I asked for it. As a result of that I didn't get to fit the tyres to them and therefore couldn't get them on my car, so they won't be going on for about 3 weeks now. Will update then :)
2012-12-01_12-34-51_920.jpg

2012-12-01_12-38-07_39.jpg

Yes I did go for white despite everyone telling me not to. But I'm confident they're gonna look good, especially if i get some polarised wheel bolts in them as I will be leaving the centre caps off

Arctic 182FF
UPDATE:
Freshly powder coated alloys are now on!
Before
2012-12-12_15-31-15_342.jpg

After (apologies for the crap pics, it was dark by the time I'd finished)
2012-12-12_16-33-06_469.jpg

2012-12-12_16-33-20_20.jpg

Will get better pics up tomorrow :)

Arctic 182FF
Awesome! Please don't put the centre caps on :)
Haha don't worry, I'm definitely leaving them off. I didn't even bother getting them the same colour as the wheels. Unfortunately that means that I've had to take the spacers off the back so that my locking wheel bolts still fitted. Don't really want to have wheel bolts on show that aren't lockers. After Christmas I hope to get a set of polarised, extended, locking wheel bolts and spacers all around.

Will get some daylight pictures tomorrow before taking the front bumper off.

Haha don't worry, I'm definitely leaving them off. I didn't even bother getting them the same colour as the wheels. Unfortunately that means that I've had to take the spacers off the back so that my locking wheel bolts still fitted. Don't really want to have wheel bolts on show that aren't lockers. After Christmas I hope to get a set of polarised, extended, locking wheel bolts and spacers all around.

Will get some daylight pictures tomorrow before taking the front bumper off.

Yeah that's the problem I'm facing at the moment. Decided to risk it with the bolts showing. Should really get an extended locking set. I think polarised bolts will look really good mate :) look forward to seeing daylight pics

Arctic 182FF
Is it bad that I preferred it on the 172 wheels lol?
Haha no, everyone has their own opinions and you're more than entitled to yours. I was expecting this quite a lot really, especially from the OEM/OEM+ fans. I did like how the 172 wheels looked once the coilovers were on but I fancied something a bit more different :)

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Haha no, everyone has their own opinions and you're more than entitled to yours. I was expecting this quite a lot really, especially from the OEM/OEM+ fans. I did like how the 172 wheels looked once the coilovers were on but I fancied something a bit more different :)

I don't dislike the new wheels and I like the fact they're different personally. I really don't know why I preferred the 172 wheels because normally I think they're hideous lol! I think it's because your car is lowered though! Anyway, it's coming along nicely! What's next on the cards?

Arctic 182FF
I don't dislike the new wheels and I like the fact they're different personally. I really don't know why I preferred the 172 wheels because normally I think they're hideous lol! I think it's because your car is lowered though! Anyway, it's coming along nicely! What's next on the cards?
Ok thanks, maybe I can change your mind tomorrow with some daylight shots ;) haha
I'm planning on putting a skoda splitter on and spraying the grill satin black in the next few days. Also refurbing the headlights as I tried to do them once but just messed them up more, going to do it properly this time though :p
I have a lot of essential stuff to pay for soon though. Insurance, tax, service, MOT are all due in Feb :/
Although hopefully, if I get a lot of money for Christmas and a lot spare from my student loan instalment in January, then my next plans are spacers all around and polarised wheel bolts, along with diadem indicator bulbs to match. I'm also looking at getting a colour coded spoiler and eventually colour code the front bumper inserts and get a 172 rear.
Although I imagine that most of that stuff won't get done for a while due to lack of funds :( my birthday and next instalment of student loan comes in March so fingers crossed for some more stuff around that time :)

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Some good plans mate, I will look forward to the pictures tomorrow! I might reserve judgement until I see it in the flesh though lol

Arctic 182FF
Thanks :) Ah right I only just noticed that you're from Bristol too. I'm currently up in Wrexham with my family for Christmas, but if there's any meets around Bristol way in the near future I'm sure I'll see you there :)

Arctic 182FF
I'll add it to the shopping list ;) grill is now off to be sprayed tomorrow and headlight refurb kit arrived today so will have a crack at that tomorrow or Saturday

Arctic 182FF
Thanks! Wow those are strikingly similar, pretty sure even all the badges were sprayed the exact same colour too. Although I thought mine was Rover 'Stone' Grey rather than 'Storm' grey but I could be wrong. Would love that front bumper, looks awesome! Don't happen to still have it and want a trade for a standard ph2 bumper? ;) always worth a shot :p Definitely want to get it all colour coded after seeing that. That looks really low! But still great, thinking of winding mine down a little more and taking the adjusters out of the rear.

Arctic 182FF
Yeah that's the problem I'm facing at the moment. Decided to risk it with the bolts showing. Should really get an extended locking set. I think polarised bolts will look really good mate :) look forward to seeing daylight pics
Sorry Dan I only just saw this post. I wouldn't have risked that if I were you since your wheels are really rare and everything, hope nothing happens though! Yeah get an extended locking set for Christmas or something and you'll be sorted :)
Just the one quick daytime pic as I've got stuff to be getting on with, will get some more up after I've sorted out a few more things. Wish I had a decent camera to take photos with though, best thing I have available is my rubbish phone camera :(

Monaco
Thanks! Wow those are strikingly similar, pretty sure even all the badges were sprayed the exact same colour too. Although I thought mine was Rover 'Stone' Grey rather than 'Storm' grey but I could be wrong. Would love that front bumper, looks awesome! Don't happen to still have it and want a trade for a standard ph2 bumper? ;) always worth a shot :p Definitely want to get it all colour coded after seeing that. That looks really low! But still great, thinking of winding mine down a little more and taking the adjusters out of the rear.

I'm sure mine was Storm Grey - wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a Stone Grey too. Anti-standardisation, ha.

Sorry the car is all gone, every last bit. I sold it with the Ph3 bumper on it still. It was a fine looking machine and sometimes i still regret selling it. But I found a car I couldn't ignore (2001 172, 1 owner, 28k miles, absolutely mint) so she had to go.

Height wise mine had the adjusters out at the back and almost exactly 2cm of thread of adjustment left at the front. I spent a lot of time perfecting that height. I was going for as low as i could without having to brace myself at speedbumps. Give it a try if you're not happy with your height. And even with a car full of people i didn't foul on the arches at the back with the adjusters out.

I like the direction you're going with white. Maybe do your bullets to match and possibly the badges too - tie it in with the rest of the car a bit. The more black plastic you can get rid of the better too. Colour code the rest of those strips. My favourite mod by far was the 172 interior and i recommend it to everyone. Makes such a difference.

Arctic 182FF
Don't blame you for upgrading to a 172! I would if I could.
It's mainly the back that's annoying on mine, it's noticeably high at the back, I want the arches sitting just above the tyres front and back ideally.
I was planning on getting a whole white theme going on by spraying the badges, bullets and maybe dash inserts but I thought it might be a bit of an overkill? I'm still undecided at the moment, definitely want to change the colour as the current colour doesn't fit in with anything. I might do the badges and the lettering of the bullets rather than the whole bullet, but ideally I'd want rid of the clio badge but I don't know how much it would cost to get the holes filled in and sprayed.
I've got a colour coded spoiler in the pipelines, definitely want a 172 rear bumper at some point. Was going to get the black inserts on the front bumper colour coded but looking at yours has made me want a ph3 front bumper now!
I'd love a 172 interior, seats + steering wheel would be awesome! That will probably be one of the last things I do though because I want to be happy with how the outside looks first. But I'd want to keep all the original seats and stuff for eventually putting it back to standard and I've got nowhere to keep them.
Although I'll probably be keeping this car until it dies so not sure.
Thanks for the advice :)

Arctic 182FF
Yeah it is, they went on about a month ago. Best mod ever, made the most difference to the appearance of any mod I've done anyway; would definitely recommend it!

Clio 1.2 16v
sound looks a nice height, ive only got 40mm springs on mine, want it lower tho ha. what coilovers you got and how much you pay, if you dont mind me asking?

Arctic 182FF
Thanks, I'm looking to adjust it a little lower in the new year though. To be honest mate I don't even know what brand they are, got them off another member from here for £140 though, used but with new rear springs. Since it's only a 1.2 I'm not after amazing handling, it was more a cosmetic thing I was looking for so just went for the cheapest set I could find.

Clio 1.2 16v
Same reason i want some coilovers, mines only a 1.2 aswell but i can't seem to find some cheap ones anywhere.

Arctic 182FF
Keep an eye out on the for sale section on here, or post in the wanted section. You might just have to be patient and a bit lucky, or you could try ebay or gumtree but I wouldn't trust those people as much as people on here. Good luck finding some :)

Monaco
I'd love a 172 interior, seats + steering wheel would be awesome! That will probably be one of the last things I do though because I want to be happy with how the outside looks first. But I'd want to keep all the original seats and stuff for eventually putting it back to standard and I've got nowhere to keep them.
Although I'll probably be keeping this car until it dies so not sure.
Thanks for the advice :)

You're right with this. An interior is such an awkward thing to store. When I put it in I knew it was not going to take it out again. I was happy to leave it in the car when I sold it. Renault part numbers and a nice little upgrade for the next owner.

Arctic 182FF
I guess so, if I can find a set cheap enough I might get the interior and sell the standard interior in individual bits, i'll probably get close to my money back. I'll probably be keeping the car until it dies anyway so might aswel.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cliosport member LB-1 kindly did a photoshop of how I'm planning for this to look.
calvin2.jpg

Although I originally planned on having these in white I think they look pretty darn good in a dark grey. Decisions!!
Opinions please!

Little bit too low but other than that looks great.

Shame the gold is so horrible as its such a good quality finish on them.

Arctic 182FF
Thanks chip but you're a bit late with that picture. That was just a photoshop from when the wheels were still gold. Yeah it was a shame about the colour but an £80 refurb sorted that out. They've been done in white now and coilovers are on but they aren't as low as that photoshop. Ideally I'd like it sitting somewhere between how it is now and how it is on that picture, I'd like the arches just above the tyres.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I realised it was a photoshop, was just saying I liked the colour but not the height.

Got a recent picture?

Arctic 182FF
Ah right ok. Not at the moment no, I will get a better one up tomorrow, just had a crack at refurbishing the headlights and the grill is off being sprayed, so it's not in its most photogenic state at the moment :eek: