ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Base model with transplant

Clio 16v
Hi Guys,

I intend to run a base model mk2 p1 clio with the b18ft volvo engine. Reasons behind it are i have a donor car available with the engine, and finding a clean mk2 is easier than finding a clean mk1.

Problem is as i understand it 172 suspension wont fit without some large faffing around. I also understand from search function and other info that the base models handle just fine with a suspension upgrade (hubs/wishbones etc all fine).

So do i go to the expense and faffing around of getting the 172 gear on the car and go standard suspension with the sportline kit. Or do i go full aftermarket on the base model gear.

Another issue is braking, if i need to go 172 brakes etc, surely it'd be easier to go down the route of a full 172 subframe?

​Or am i talking out of my arse :D

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I don't know the full ins and outs but I don't think the 172 gear is that big a deal. Have a look at Clio Squeeks thread.

Clio 16v
Okay i feel going the 172 setup would be worth while, assuming f4r in the 172 is an all alloy engine and the b18ft is likely cast bottom end at least, can i assume safely i am going to have to find the weight difference over the front wheels and take some advice on the suspension? The usual stay 172 shocks and sportline springs isn't going to work here is it.

Also, i am wondering what the largest steel wheels are in the Renault range that fit the clio mk2, i am hoping 16 inch steels are available that fit over the 172 brakes. I really want to keep this looking like a base car.

​cheers

Sleeper look ftw

I think largest steels I have seen are 15" but it may be worth talking to Renparts on here to see if they would have any 16" in as they would know if you could get them or not :)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
15s fit over 172 brakes but first and foremost I DO NOT envy you doing a b18ft swap into a mk2. A mk1 was a pain in the arse, mk2 electrics will make it even harder.

Its really not a very goo engine swap tbh. What are your reasons for that other than you have one?

Clio 16v
Reasoning behind it is, i have one available (donor car). Second reason is, i want forced induction without doing a 2-3k f4r low pressure turbo bodge. I have in the past worked with the engine (years ago mind) and know them to be good for 200hp without much work. The electrics don't scare me i have done far worse also.

Reason for the b18ft over a standard or lightly breathed on 172, is quite simply the fact that f4r don't seem to make book power even when correctly timed and healthy, getting even 185-200 out of it is going to cost far more in comparison. Add to that the fact that i want a sleeper/track weapon that doesn't look like a sport.

I fully understand where you are coming from, most like working with current tech, not working in the past. But i feel in this case old doesn't necessarily mean worse in this mix up :)

Edited to add i am pleased to find out 15inch steels go over the brakes, that makes consumable cheap :)

Clio 16v
If you've not already bought the mk2 why don't you just buy a ph1 172 for sub £1k, sell the engine, then drop the Volvo lump in

​I honestly want it to look as base model as possible, doing the above means i am stuck with a rs looking car :-(