ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery/alternator issues

Jackg123

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Hi guys I’ve recently brought a 172 cup roughly 3 weeks.I’ve replaced the battery and alternator. It had been running fine but this morning it died on me, Radio went off and lights on dash lit up like a Xmas tree. Left 10 mins started fine but as soon I put lights on it died again. I checked my battery voltage and getting 8 volts. Any ideas. Like I said new battery/ alternator any ideas ?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Have you measured the voltage across the battery when the car is running? Bit strange it would not start and then after ten mins it would. That would prob be down to a bad earth.

Is the battery earth strap tight on the terminal? Still would not answer why you only had 8 volts though?

If the alternator is charging then it's a bad earth or battery I would suspect. If not charging then bad connection or alternator. It's not uncommon for new alternator or battery to fail.

Jackg123

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
hi yeah I got 8v with the car running with no load when I switch the lights, radio and heater it drops to about 6v,.I’ve replaced the the battery connectors to the terminals as they were a little loose. The strange thing is the battery and stop light on dash doesn’t light up when I start car which it did before when alternator was knackered. U

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Check the small exciter wire is connected up to the alternator, as they can break resulting in no battery light/charge. if the wiring checks out ok, assume alternator is dead

Jackg123

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Check the small exciter wire is connected up to the alternator, as they can break resulting in no battery light/charge. if the wiring checks out ok, assume alternator is dead
Thanks will check that out, only replaced alternator 2 weeks ago!!!

Jackg123

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Thanks will check that out
If you're only getting 8v when the car is running then the issue lies with the alternator or a wiring issue mate
Thanks,I think it’s a trip back to the garage