ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery and stop lights, occasional misfiring

Renault Clio Mkii
Car: 2005 Clio 16v Mk2

I've had the Stop and battery warning lights illuminate when turning the ignition on consistently since I first took it for a run on the motorway. The car was sat on a driveway for 6 months before I bought it and only did short trips before then.

The battery measures 12.5v with the battery off and 14.4v with the engine idling. So I think the alternator is charging the battery okay? The aux belt does look old though.

The last few days I have had an occasional misfire return also which may or may not be related. The coil pack and spark plugs are two weeks old.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

172 cup, Vw t5.1
Car: 2005 Clio 16v Mk2

I've had the Stop and battery warning lights illuminate when turning the ignition on consistently since I first took it for a run on the motorway. The car was sat on a driveway for 6 months before I bought it and only did short trips before then.

The battery measures 12.5v with the battery off and 14.4v with the engine idling. So I think the alternator is charging the battery okay? The aux belt does look old though.

The last few days I have had an occasional misfire return also which may or may not be related. The coil pack and spark plugs are two weeks old.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
This fault does sound like the symptoms of a faulty alternator, have you tried measuring the running voltage with lights, heated screen etc on? Worth leaving your meter on there for a while to see if the voltage drops intermittently. Check your main earth connections/cables also ??

Renault Clio Mkii
This fault does sound like the symptoms of a faulty alternator, have you tried measuring the running voltage with lights, heated screen etc on? Worth leaving your meter on there for a while to see if the voltage drops intermittently. Check your main earth connections/cables also ??

I had the clutch changed recently and the mechanic said there was some play in the alt belt. In the last few weeks though the battery voltage hasn't decreased when the engine is off and when it's idling. I haven't tried it with lights and heater on though. I'll try that in the morning.

The misfiring has appeared more recently and id like to sort that before I get the belts changed (cam belt needs changing also).

PH2 172
I had the clutch changed recently).

Instrument loom earth on back of the box connected?

If recently was when you collected, it was to divert your attention away from the fact that he/she/it has fucked up, but is playing for time, and can charge as a new job.

This one is broken.
Instrument  earth located on the rear of the gearbox.jpg

Renault Clio Mkii
Instrument loom earth on back of the box connected?

If recently was when you collected, it was to divert your attention away from the fact that he/she/it has fucked up, but is playing for time, and can charge as a new job.

This one is broken.
View attachment 1395942

I'll check this in the morning also. The stop and battery warning light was on before I had the clutch done but the misfiring has returned shortly afterward I got it back (after previously being remedied by new coil pack and sparks)

PH2 172
If I was a dentist, I `d get pissed off with people that want multiple extractions for the price of one.

Renault Clio Mkii

I did an 85 mile trip on the motorway today. When I got home I checked battery voltages again:

Engine off: 12.7v
Engine on: 14.2v
Engine/radio/lights/heaters on: 14.0v

I couldn't see any broken connections from a visual inspection but the connections onto the alternator look rather rusty.

The alternator belt has about 10mm of play which I believe to be too much?

Attachments

• IMG_20181123_153806.jpg
    IMG_20181123_153806.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  Renault Clio Mkii
I did an 85 mile trip on the motorway today. When I got home I checked battery voltages again:

Engine off: 12.7v
Engine on: 14.2v
Engine/radio/lights/heaters on: 14.0v

I couldn't see any broken connections from a visual inspection but the connections onto the alternator look rather rusty.

The alternator belt has about 10mm of play which I believe to be too much?

I forgot to mention also that I've noticed that the engine seems to misfire when idling when the battery is under load. When the lights and heater are off it fires fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

172 cup, Vw t5.1
I forgot to mention also that I've noticed that the engine seems to misfire when idling when the battery is under load. When the lights and heater are off it fires fine. Any ideas?

Thanks
Do you think it is actually a misfire or just rough running? Have you plugged it in to check what faults you have?

Renault Clio Mkii
Do you think it is actually a misfire or just rough running? Have you plugged it in to check what faults you have?

I think it's misfiring as the idle speed noticably dips and I've heard it from the exhaust end. It does seem to come and go though.

I don't have a code reader so no I don't know what faults are logging. Can you recommend a code reader to buy? I bought this car for £350 so one on the budget side would be appreciated if possible.

Renault Clio Mkii
I went out and bought a code reader, it seems to identify the CAN protocol but then gets stuck during the reading process. It doesn't progress any further than this. Does anyone know what this means?

I've also attached a pic of the dashboard when the ignition is on.

Attachments

• IMG_20181130_174946.jpg
    IMG_20181130_174946.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20181130_180758.jpg
    IMG_20181130_180758.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 98
  Renault Clio Mkii
So i cleaned up the code reader connector on the car with contact cleaner and actually got a reading. No errors!

The car still is rough when pulling off when the heaters/lights are on though, does anyone have any ideas?