ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Cut Off Switch

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I've recently purchased a new smaller batter for my Clio, a Powerlite PS09, which although is great and light I'm slightly worried about it not having enough power if not left on charge. Therefore I wish to install a cut off switch so that I can ensure it'll start when required when away from home.

The car is only used for trackdays, sprints and the odd Sunday blast, while at home the battery is left on charge.

The battery will be fitted within the engine bay and I will be shortly fitting aero catches so I'm hoping to fit the cut of switch within the engine bay.

Is it simply a case of fitting a cut off switch on the positive side just after the battery?

Anyway here a pic of the battery, as everyone loves a pic!

IMG_8913 2.JPG

IMG_8914.JPG

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I wouldn't worry too much Tom, Mart has a small battery fitted and it lasts for a decent amount of time.

Do you want to run the cut off switch so it can be killed when the engine is running or just to disconnect the battery when not moving? FIA switch for the first, wired up properly with a resistor to protect the alternator from voltage spikes and for the latter just a simple negative battery isolator. Get one for a motorcycle as the common type won't work.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I wouldn't worry too much Tom, Mart has a small battery fitted and it lasts for a decent amount of time.

Do you want to run the cut off switch so it can be killed when the engine is running or just to disconnect the battery when not moving? FIA switch for the first, wired up properly with a resistor to protect the alternator from voltage spikes and for the latter just a simple negative battery isolator. Get one for a motorcycle as the common type won't work.

No need for FIA cut off, just want one so I can save battery power when not in use & away from home.

Can I ask my I’ll need a motorcycle one @GrahamS and why won’t a normal one work?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
No need for FIA cut off, just want one so I can save battery power when not in use & away from home.

Can I ask my I’ll need a motorcycle one @GrahamS and why won’t a normal one work?
Only because of the terminal style being different to that of a standard car battery.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Only because of the terminal style being different to that of a standard car battery.

I ordered some converters so I can continue to use OEM connections!

So now I'm thinking a simple cut off switch like this mounted under the engine bay, so I can then isolate the battery, remove the key part and then lock on the bonnet with the aero catches.

Sound good?

NB although I would buy a cut off switch with a cover to fit over the key section.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
I did the very same as yourself and used a simple isolator, I used a bulkhead fitting and in the engine bay it goes ;
Bulkhead fitting - isolator - junction box - fuse box
Have attached a pic that I found, bracket mounting isnt the neatest but I was kinda hurried at the time and its turned into a permanent fixture haha. If your needing anymore I can grab some as got the car sitting at home just now
My rubber cover ripped after 6 months or so

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Attached now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190511-055515_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190511-055515_Gallery.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 238

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I ordered some converters so I can continue to use OEM connections!

So now I'm thinking a simple cut off switch like this mounted under the engine bay, so I can then isolate the battery, remove the key part and then lock on the bonnet with the aero catches.

Sound good?

NB although I would buy a cut off switch with a cover to fit over the key section.
That sounds reasonable to me. The only benefit of using one which fits on the terminal directly is that you don't have to make up a patch wire to go between the terminal and cut off. If using a cut off make sure you get battery teminal boots to cover the connections. I've got a crimp tool if you need a wire made up.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
I was quite concerned how exposed the posts ib mine were and didnt come with any sort of protection. I just taped them up bit should really stick some heat shrink over them or something

What about something like this to save adding in an extra wire?

MOTOPOWER MP69011 Battery Quick Release Connectors Battery Quick Disconnect Terminals (Red & Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E9591F6/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Going slightly off topic @a17vts how have you found the powerlite battery? I'm looking at replacing my current powervamp one and had been debating either the PS09 or 20. Mines a pure track/race car so will be isolated/removed when not in use

Thanks
Ads

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Going slightly off topic @a17vts how have you found the powerlite battery? I'm looking at replacing my current powervamp one and had been debating either the PS09 or 20. Mines a pure track/race car so will be isolated/removed when not in use

Thanks
Ads

Hi Mate,

No idea yet! I broke my hip around 8 weeks ago so not touch the car since receiving the battery.

I like you, will isolate it when not in use so I believe the 09 will be sufficient. Saves the extra weight also.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Hi Mate,

No idea yet! I broke my hip around 8 weeks ago so not touch the car since receiving the battery.

I like you, will isolate it when not in use so I believe the 09 will be sufficient. Saves the extra weight also.

No way mate!! Sorry to here that, I'm trying to do some research before spending any more money. I've already dropped 3k on a complete rewire as it is ??

Hope the recovery is going well too