ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Light with new Alternator and 14v

Smartie93

ClioSport Club Member
Strangely I've started having a battery discharge warning light come on intermittently, in some cases it actually flashes on and off irregularly.

My question is what criteria have to be met for this light to come on?

I get between 13.8v and 14.4v even when the light is on, so it's not a non charge issue. The alternator is only 6 months old as well.

I have disturbed all of the engine's earths repairing the gearbox, so I'll start there. But I wondered if the light comes on for reasons other than low voltage.

Cheers

Smartie93

ClioSport Club Member
Just an update if this comes up in the future when someone is searching for it on google.

One of the solder joints on one of the windings had failed, on a brand new alternator! Effectively only had 2 of 3 phases, once you started loading up the alternator it would drop from 14v to 12v. Easily fixed with some new solder!

If your light is on, Just check that your alternator can produce 13.5+ volts when fully loaded, with lights, wipers, heater etc.