ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

battery losing charge when the car not being used?

Fiesta ST3
this battery is only about 6 months old i know it will lose some charge but its getting sluggish at starting after just 4 days it was 12.3v yesterday and i have just checked it again and its now 11.9v.
the car only does 14 miles a day when i am using it and this time of year with the lights being on and de misting rear window do you think this will be why or is something draining it as its stood?
plus anyone recommend a battery charger as i might stick it on to charge to see if that helps out any??
cheers ady

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just as an example, my 05 plate one it still on orginal battery, i recently had to leave the car for 14weeks without being started, started first turn, no issues.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Could be something daft like boot/glove box light on? What Volts reading do you get when the engine is running? should be around 13.80 iirc. This indicates the alternator is charging it up correctly. If that appears ok, then go through the fuse box with the meter set to Amps, pull a fuse out one at a time, put the meter through it. It'll point to whats drawing current when the ignition is off.

Fiesta ST3
DrRollo no way mine would last that long i had to replace the battery when i came off my hols 6 months ago because it had been standing for 2 weeks and it was flat as a pnacake..

g@z when running its on a steady 14.4V so the altrnator is ok.. also i am a bit new to this mulit meter things so i have a clarke cdm15 which setting would i put it on and what results on screen would be shown if there is something drawing current?

010910055.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I had this problem:

From the +ive terminal there are 2 wires.

One goes to the engine/alternator, one to supply the accessories (I think)

Disconnect -ive terminal on battery

Disconnect the +ive one that supplies accessories (this goes towards the fuse box)

Put multimeter on current (amps), that looks auto ranging so this should do.

Test between -ive terminal and the wire you removed from that terminal.

If reading is unusually high then its likely the alternator thats packed in. (check by removing it at the alternator and amps should drop to normal)

If it isn't then remove the alternator side and connect the other side on the +ive terminal.

Test again, if high amps remove the fuses one at a time to see what drops it and thats your problem.

As for what amps are high or not, I don't know for sure so someone else will have to confirm. Mine read low miliamps when it was on the accessory side, the alternator was the one dragging it down and was drawing about 1 amp IIRC.

This is what we did with mine anyway, could be a load of tosh and a much easier way to do it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeah i'd go with that!

Yeah, mA is what you should be expecting off the accessory side, anything higher indicates the possible faulty circuit

When measuring Volts, that goes across the circuit like youve done, Amps need to be in circuit, so like Jenic said you need to disconnect the (+) put one probe on that, then the other on the battery. Then remove one fuse at a time (mate needs to do this with the door shut - interior light) and ignition off. Make sure you have the radio code also ;))

Fiesta ST3
I wished one of you 2 lived a bit closer cause that's just gone straight over my head:quiet:
I have just been out and tried what you said and the meter said 00.0 so I opened the door and it still said the same!
Definetly doing something wrong but I have disconnected my Denison ice link that's the only thing in the car that's not standard ??

edit
just locked the car and as i was standing there the auto door locking light isnt going out on the dash?

Last edited:
  Clio Mk2 Extreme
Mine died on Boxing day, unfortunately it was my own doing, I cut a corner when installing my sub/amp and forgot to wire up the remote cable which switches the amp off with the ignition. So, my battery died due to the sub's amp draining it. Could this be your issue?? Easy fix anyway, a quick charge and a motorway drive it was all fine. Hope you get it sorted. (if not already)

Fiesta ST3
Shouldn't read more than 0.2A, most cars are around the 0.13 mark

not sure if my mul;timeter is good enough to do this or i am not i put the slider on A and turned the dial to the 200 position also with a A on it?
still says 00.0???

Fiesta ST3
YouTube has plenty of videos to show you how and most multimeters have 3 pins for your 2 cables. You need to make sure it's in your amp hole- read your multimeter instructions though
Using one of these is easier as you don't have to disconnect anything

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=61650
watched some vids and i read the instructions still non the wiser there is a pic of the multi meter in a post above and idea which setting i should be using?
alreadt tried putting the slider on A and turning the dial to the 200 position also with a A on it?