ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

battery move for air intake

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Alot of peopel seem to move the battery to the boot, well looking at engine pics on ebay, why don't you just move the battery to the current airbox location, but keepign the battery at the same angle (as original angle) then just have a straight pipe for the air intake ? as shown in my skilled picture below ? :eek:

n674888184_544044_9274.jpg

Clio Cup Racer
Lol he has got a point, it would be a b**ch to do.

Plus people move it for weight distribution, get some weight away from the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Batterys dont like heat & it would get to hot there really not when moving but in traffic it would. Nice idea though.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Move it to the boot, much neater and can be hidden away. There it will get too hot and you still won't have that much room

Ph1
Batterys dont like heat & it would get to hot there really not when moving but in traffic it would. Nice idea though.

Going by the drawing it would only move a matter of inches from its current position so would hardly have that much of a effect plus if anything that position would be even cooler than the original place with it being further away from the main heat area, the manifold

Dont think it would physically fit at the front of the car due to the mounting position of the tray (no where to weld / bolt to) plus closing the bonnet could be a issue.

The place i reckon it could fit would be towards the bulkhead where the ecu and coolant bottle is, right in the corner

Hmm im not convinced - i suppose you could use a heatshield or something anyway but like you said i don't think itl fit.

Ph1
Yeah, if it caused problems it wouldnt take much to shield off. Proof is in the pudding at the end of the day ;)

Great topic. Suprised more folk arnt trying to make the intake track more straighter as it certainly looks a big point of restriction with that 90 degree bend

It would fit but you would need to extend the existing battery tray with a VERY strong bracket to support it. Its too much effort for no gain. You dont lose anything by putting it in the boot, apart from boot space obvviously ;).

You get better weight distribution moving it into the boot aswell. Moving it forward and to the middle is worse for weight distribution then the old position.

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

Ph1
Only thing with that one is it dosent go very far over towards the cold air area so could possibly counter suffer heat soak maybe with it being a open filter?

Clio racer intake

cupracer2-1.jpg

Lionel Richie
yeah, but you can be really clever and use a race battery and mount it under one of the seats, that would be tidy

b/g 182, meg tourer
best to move the weight of the battery towards the middle of the car in my opinion (or the rear), not further forwards! and its close to the engine there so it will get hotter.
good idea tho, like you said just needs a plate making really, no more hassle than moving it to the rear of the car! but in my opinion its not worth moving the battery to make wat for an induction kit unless the car is running around 300bhp

b/g 182, meg tourer
in my opinion its not worth moving the battery to make wat for an induction kit unless the car is running around 300bhp

Just like its not worth spending 3k+ for 25 bhp gain ;)

Race batteries are a pain for everyday use?

ha, yeah just like that! not worth it at all unless your stupid rich!

and yes, race batteries are a pain in the ass for everyday use, last like 2 days if you dont start your car every day! lol

RS RIP
Nice idea of removing battery to the back.

Is it possible to move it all the way back to the spare-wheel compartiment ? Will need to extend the wiring and i do'nt know if this will be okay ?

I removed all things from the back and a little more weight there would be nice , especially when removed from the front towards the back :)

Lionel Richie
you can get the battery anywhere, you only need to extend the 12V feed (the earth just goes to the shell of the car

bottom left below
Ys017.jpg

I could do with something like that. I have never been to happy with fixing it into the seat belt mount due to the angle of the belt.

I still need to keep the rear seat in though behind the passenger. Will it fit with the seats in and how much would something like that cost?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
u would have to have the seats down though? to bolt the harnesses too? or atleast one side down.

but yer you could fit it there and still use the seats

Lionel Richie
yeah it works with the rear seats, the harnesses simply unclip from the car/bar

give yoz a shout, its not cheap to do as its pretty labour intensive, but needs to be done right

Mondeo TDCI 130
Im putting my battery in the spare wheel well of the cup!! Got everything apart from the battery so far i think!

Lionel Richie
Welding in a bar is labour intensive?

yep, you have to rmove all the paint and under seal (underseal sets on fire when welding) remove the ecu, then spend a good couple of hours profiling the ends of the bar, prep for welding and then TIG (not pigeon poo shitty mig) weld it in, then prep, prime and paint, trim the interior carpet to fit for a facotry look

i'll ask yoz to take some pics of one we did on a standard car, you'll be surprised

all in its around a 7hour job