ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery or alternator??

clio sport 182
Hey Guys,

So ive been experiencing issues with my clio 182 recently...

Its had a brand new battery a month or so ago, and this weekend just gone i turned the key and nothing.......... so i tried again and it fired up.... i then turned car off and it would not start again after this... we left it till the afternoon saturday and then bumped it and it fired straight away....

Im unsure if this cold weather could have ruined the battery or if the alternator has gone or on its way out..

We noticed when smelling near the alternators that it smells of burning.:S

Does anyone know whether its likely to be the alternator? If so can you recommend any places near Chesterfield Derbyshire for parts, or is this likely to be a Renault part?

One thing i have noticed also is sometimes turning the key on (whilst cr will not fire) is that it sounds like everything is popping behind the dash almost like everything is frying up :S

Hope someone can give me some advise.

Thanks
Carmen :)

Many.
Most likely alternator, get a volt meter on the battery and see what voltage its putting out. Should be around 14v.

This happened to my 182. Dead alternator.

To confirm, check the drain on the battery, disconnect the alternator and te-rest battery. Should be very different readings.

Bumper off job iirc.