ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery Problem

Monaco Blue Mk2
This is the story.

Over a year ago I left my car unused for quite a while. The battery was dead when I came to start it and so needed to jump it. Since then it has always started first time every time however if it's not driven for 2 or 3 days it often seems as if it's struggling a bit to get the power to start. It very often re-sets the trip counter when starting and sometimes even turns the hazards on.

Now yesterday I did a longish run. About 60 miles either way. However when setting off in the return leg, I noticed the SERV light had come on, but I just put it down to a loose airbag connector. Anyway I stopped halfway back for petrol and low and behold it wouldn't start again. Just ticking, not even struggling to start. After asking a few people I managed to get a bloke in a type R to give me a jump (lol the shame!) anyway that started it first time and I drove the rest of the way home. It now wont start again today without being jumped.

So it's not even starting when it's had a decent run to charge. I think the battery is just completely goosed, but I thought I'd check here about the possibility of an alternator problem aswell. What do you reckon?

Edit: it has to be jumped. Bump start wont work.
Also i imagine this is probably unrelated but, I'm getting some running issues aswell, e.g. feeling sluggish and occasionally really big flat spots in places there hasn't been flat spots before.

Last edited:
it's going to be cheaper to renew the battery and that's likely the problem anyway - just put a new one on and see how it goes

Monaco Blue Mk2
^Yeah, that's the plan to be honest. I was just thinking someone my have had a similar problem or know a way to find out.

p.s. Interior is still going strong John!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Having re read it its 100% a mullered battery!

Great news man :) I ended up having to get another 172 interior, came with the right engine this time though ;)

Monaco Blue Mk2
^Good stuff mate. Should be me next year when I've finished uni. Insurance should be a bit more reasonable, at 21 with 4 years ncb. Can't wait to be honest! Gonna keep hold of this at first though incase the one I find has a knackered interior.

Monaco Blue Mk2
I ordered a battery the other day. Should be here tomorrow I'd of thought. Once I get it on. Is there anyway of testing the alternator as well, just to make sure?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah there is.

Fit the battery, start the car and then use a multimeter accross the battery terminals, it should read 14.4v if the alt is healthy.

Audi S1
i had the same thing minus the embaresment... lol... my car stuggled to get power reset trip computer, went down halfords got it checked 57%.... got a new battery they tried thobbing me off with this "highly reccomended" battery... which was bigger visually and in the amps... i said no i want this one... £70 they wanted £100 4 this other 1 fools

Monaco Blue Mk2
i had the same thing minus the embaresment... lol... my car stuggled to get power reset trip computer, went down halfords got it checked 57%.... got a new battery they tried thobbing me off with this "highly reccomended" battery... which was bigger visually and in the amps... i said no i want this one... £70 they wanted £100 4 this other 1 fools

Yeah, mine was the same. I knew it was on the way out, just hoping there's nothing more to it.

Yeah there is.

Fit the battery, start the car and then use a multimeter accross the battery terminals, it should read 14.4v if the alt is healthy.

Cheers mate, thought that was the case.