ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BB 9700 or HTC Hero

Mountune Tractor
What would you go for?
I've narrowed it down to these two phones. Which would you choose and why?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hero.

• Better UI
  • Better Apps
  • Better camera
  • Its about to get Android 2.0

BB 9700

Blackberrys are the new "in" phones
no touch screen (could be a pro/con)
Blackberry messenger
Excellent push email and notifications

ValverInBits
OP Hero is superior.

Hero.

• Better UI
  • Better Apps
  • Better camera
  • Its about to get Android 2.0

coulda sworn I updated by girlfriends phone to android 2.0 at the weekend? But since I'm not one to question your clearly epic phone knowledge - What did i do then? the firmware?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
hero all the way, blackberrys are the in phone for kids in playgrounds...and corporate executives who aren't allowed anything else by their IT dept haha

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
htc-hero-review.jpg

or

TMO-BB-Bold-9700-Top-Angle.jpg

I had a go of the Hero last week, I thought the Ergonomics were not great tbh... the little ball is in a very awqward position and felt like I was straining to use it properly.

Both great phones though, just depends what you use them for

Struggling to find a decent contract for the hero thata 18 months rather than 24....

scrap that....

The T-mobile G2 Touch (same phone but in black) is free on 18 month contract - 800mins, unlimited texts and internet at £25 per month.

Last edited:
  Mountune Tractor
The t-mobile one seems pretty much what I am after! Great price too!

Can you show me where you saw that deal mate? On their website it shows that package as £25 + £5 for unlimited internet = £30 per month.

'52 clio 1.2 16V
Can you show me where you saw that deal mate? On their website it shows that package as £25 + £5 for unlimited internet = £30 per month.

At a guess i'd say that was the package he was talking about but didn't click through to see the internet was extra. I've not seen that package lower than £30 anywhere yet. Is still a great contract for the price though.

Mito Sportiva 135
What network are you on mate? With loyalty discount, my Hero is costing me £23 a month all in, which is pretty good I think!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
The Hero does look good, would liketo try out Android as haven't had the chance yet.

hero all the way, blackberrys are the in phone for kids in playgrounds...and corporate executives who aren't allowed anything else by their IT dept haha

Sometimes the IT dept have no choice in the matter ;)

The BB is the only CESG appoved system atm here and if where you work mandates that you need this certification on systems what can you do :)

That and it is the best system currently for a corporate environment with exceptional management capabilities :)

Better than yours. C*nt.
That and it is the best system currently for a corporate environment with exceptional management capabilities :)

I'd question that point. As far as manageability goes SCMDM goes a long, long way to knocking Cackberry off that perch.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I'd question that point. As far as manageability goes SCMDM goes a long, long way to knocking Cackberry off that perch.

SCMDM does go a long way, but it's not quite there. Almost though. And a good number of years later :)

As said, when it's got it's CESG approval I might take another look.

Plus we got our BlackBerrys free and would have had to of paid for the MS solution so that helped things a little!

AK

M240i
Was looking at the HD2 or whatever it's called last night, looks a good bit of kit, is that an option?

Mk2 Golf GTI
My mate's just got a t-mobile G2 which i believe is the same as the hero?

Not a great phone imo. It looks nice but seemed a bit clunky to use. Nowhere near as good as the apple touch screen for typing and just generally didnt seem as user friendly. I type on my itouch no problem but had to go back and correct a fair few mistakes on this. His was on 1.5 so maybe 2.0 is a lot better but i'd have to try it to see.

The trackball position is ridiculous too if using the phone with one hand. You have to double your thumb back just to roll the damn thing.

The 9700 is bound to be a good, solid, reliable and easy to use phone. I'd go for that personally but have a play around for yourself as everyone's different.

'52 clio 1.2 16V
Not a great phone imo. It looks nice but seemed a bit clunky to use. Nowhere near as good as the apple touch screen for typing and just generally didnt seem as user friendly. I type on my itouch no problem but had to go back and correct a fair few mistakes on this. His was on 1.5 so maybe 2.0 is a lot better but i'd have to try it to see.

The trackball position is ridiculous too if using the phone with one hand. You have to double your thumb back just to roll the damn thing.

One of the big things with typing on other poeple's heros is that they're likely to have calibrated it for themselves. Once its clibrated to your typing it makes such a difference. The screens also good enough that you rarely need to use the trackball with normal use.

The problem with todays phone's is that there's so much going on with them its really difficult to tell how good something is by holding it in a shop for a few minutes. Back with old phones you could pick one and look through all its features in a matter of minutes. try doing the same with an iphone/hero/BB today and you need a good while playing around with it and you'll only get to see a fraction fo what it an do.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh, the Hero has 3 different keyboards you can use, I can type something out quicker than I could on my old phone now.

Once you understand how it works then it's one of the easiest yet powerfull phones - there are often a few different ways to do something, most the things can be done either by holding down on the item your interested in or bringing up the menu.

Mountune Tractor
Well I've decided to go for the Hero.
I will only be using the phone for internet, mp3, ringing and texting so I can't see how the BB would be better for these 4 things. Plus the screen is much bigger on the Hero and Orange have offered me a good deal.