ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BC Racing Coilovers & My Trophy

Clio Trophy #205
When one of my Sachs failed recently I was in a real dilemma over what to do. To have them refurbished is the best part of £500 just for the front two shocks and there’s no real warranty on the repair. Combine that with the horror stories of people having them refurbished just for them to either not be as good or fail a few weeks down the line seemed a bit of a risk. All things considered I honestly didn’t think that sort of money was justified on an 8 year old set of shocks. I’m sure a lot of you will disagree with me here but I decided my best course of action would be to replace them.
I knew that coilovers would be the best option as to an extent I could retain the level of performance of the Sachs and add into the mix ride height, damping and rebound adjustability with the aim of corner weighting the car.

10630356715_d03e67bf7f_c.jpg

10630369134_1df17cac62_c.jpg

Having previously owned an EK9 Civic Type R to which I fitted BC Racing coilovers, I decided that after finding out they offered a kit for the clio they would be the Sachs replacements. Whilst I had them on my Civic I was extremely impressed with their performance so it seemed a logical move.
I spoke to an old friend of mine Adam at 6two1.com and ordered the BC’s. Considering he usually deals solely with Honda’s the service was spot on! The following week they turned up and I set about fitting them, getting the ride height and damping adjusted to my liking. I use my car every day for work, so super low and super hard wasn’t an option for me. In fact the shocks are currently set to their softest setting all round but turn the dials the 30 clicks onto hard and the car is rock solid. Once fitted I headed to the Wheel Alignment Centre in Southampton to have the geometry taken car of.

10630628183_19dbafa2ea_c.jpg

10630363884_f6e5aa0a41_c.jpg

Now all that was left to do was drive the car and figure out if I’d made the right choice. It’s been nearly a month since they went on and I deliberately left it this long before I posted because I wanted to have actually driven the car a bit to give an honest opinion on them. The only type of driving I haven’t done with the car since fitting them is on track but in all fairness I never had the car on track with the Sachs either so it’s not really something I could have compared it with.
So far I’m really impressed with them, the car drives just as well as it did on the Sachs when being pushed. I’m fortunate enough to live within a short drive of some superb B roads and these have been my main proving grounds for the BC’s. I’m certain on track you could push them even further and they’d happily take the abuse. Around town the car is far better than before, with them set to fully soft for day to day driving its way more comfortable and compliant than the Sachs were, find yourself in a situation where you push the car that bit further however and they come alive which I find very similar to the performance of the Sachs. The ease of adjustability is fantastic too with the dials for the damping on top of each strut it’s fair easier to fine tune them then the Sachs after they’ve been unpinned.

10630620773_67fa6b8b10_c.jpg

10630630733_1d6f74ca67_c.jpg

Now I’m well aware that BC’s aren’t a popular option for Clio owners but I’m really struggling to see why? They sit in the same price bracket as most other fixed damping coilover kits for the 182 cup chassis and offer far more adjustability for the money!

10630615003_81330eae9c_c.jpg

Anyway that’s my cool story and I’m sure some of you will think I’m an idiot for not repairing the Sachs but that’s just something I’ll have to live with.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Nice little write up. The Trophy looks great in those photo's.

Keep this thread updated to how you get on with the BC's :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
How much are they out of interest?

Mick @ Dimond Motors is doing them for about £770 i think.

These where on my short list of coilovers as i sold my Spax.

Do you have any picts of them being fitted?

How do you find the rear height adjustment as its done with shims?

And is there more lower adjustment?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I run them myself to - honestly, not a bad word to say about the BC's and after being on the car for over 4months they still look amazing and the adjusters still work (unlike a set of GAZ's I tried to setup properly for a guy today).

Each to their own I guess but I'm glad I spent my money on these also. Cannot wait to track the car at the end of the month.

FRS
Good write up but i payed £260 for my front damper rebuild? Although i like the trophy looking the way it does on coilovers !

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
How dare you put anything other than 30 year malted unicorn spunk on a trophy?!

I love trophy stances! This one looks awesome on those wheels and not too low :D

I need to sample Sachs at some point :dapprove:

Cup In bits
I don't think its a case that people don't or won't fit BC's, they are really new to the coilover party on Clio's and not many know about them. The materials that are used from the Jap car sets I have seen to for the price.

Needs lowered to pull off them 15's for me but its your car.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Spacers and raise a little. Because rally car.

these seem very pricey! I'm very upset though as not only do they not do external reservoir dampers for 197s, they don't do ER dampers for Clios at all lol

Clio Trophy #205
Mick @ Dimond Motors is doing them for about £770 i think.

These where on my short list of coilovers as i sold my Spax.

Do you have any picts of them being fitted?

How do you find the rear height adjustment as its done with shims?

And is there more lower adjustment?

I didn't take any pictures when I fitted them unfortunately but the fronts can go plenty lower and the rears are adjusted with shims, I initially installed the rear springs with any spacers and it sat with the arch over the tyre.

I run them myself to - honestly, not a bad word to say about the BC's and after being on the car for over 4months they still look amazing and the adjusters still work (unlike a set of GAZ's I tried to setup properly for a guy today).

Each to their own I guess but I'm glad I spent my money on these also. Cannot wait to track the car at the end of the month.

Like I said I had them on my Civic for over 2 years and never had fault with them, let me know how the car is on track with them! Another bonus with these is if you're buying them for a track car you can spec the spring rates!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
How quick/easyis it to adjust the rear ride height and what stages does it go up/down in?

5/10/15 mm at a time for example?

Range Rover Sport
Can't say I'm a fan of BC Coilovers. From experience they are a very 'budget' brand. But that was in the Evo scene. I've no experience of them on a Clio.

Saying that your car looks stunning. Wheels look great and a really nice stance the car has from the new coilovers.

Clio Trophy #205
How quick/easyis it to adjust the rear ride height and what stages does it go up/down in?

5/10/15 mm at a time for example?

It's just a case of dropping the beam down and chucking the spacer under the spring, you can add 10mm at a time I think.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Can't say I'm a fan of BC Coilovers. From experience they are a very 'budget' brand. But that was in the Evo scene. I've no experience of them on a Clio.

Yeah I'm not sure why they have this as I've heard various stories from the Evo scene of dampers breaking at the hub insert and top mounts failing. Can't see how the Clio single piece body can fail like that though but with everything time will tell.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Sounds promising, can I just ask are you comparing the BC's to the broken sachs or have you had the car long enough to compare them with when the dampers were fresh?

Clio Trophy #205
Sounds promising, can I just ask are you comparing the BC's to the broken sachs or have you had the car long enough to compare them with when the dampers were fresh?

I'm comparing them to when the Sachs were working fully, when I got the car they were rock hard and performed incredibly well. The difference between that and when they failed is night and day!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
these seem very pricey!

I wouldn't say so. Budget Ktec or Vmaxx are £400-ish, Gaz and Bilstiens are £600-ish all of which don't offer damping adjustment. These are next in line as with Spax at sub £800, then your up with H&R's, KW's and AST's at £900+.

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I wouldn't say so. Budget Ktec or Vmaxx are £400-ish, Gaz and Bilstiens are £600-ish all of which don't offer damping adjustment. These are next in line as with Spax at sub £800, then your up with H&R's, KW's and AST's at £900+.

Oh? That serves me right for guessing the prices of the other brands

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
really not a fan of the wheels at all

however the coilovers sound promising and the car itself looks good :)