ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Been looking at a 197

Hi all,

New here, first post, been looking around at a few cars lately, quite like the look of the 197, just wanting to find out what the known faults to look out for are..? Recalls etc..

Been looking at used, current model but the 0% offer on at the moment is quite tempting too.

Also, I just noticed the post about the new clio announced, so I guess they're def going ahead with replacing the current one. Might not be a great time to go new then..

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Was a 197
go for one as new as possible as the cold starts were fixed my an updated ECU on 2008ish, recaro's aren't really essential as the standard seats are good. Generally, if its been looked after then it'll be in good nick.

Go for a test drive and you'll be sold straight away!!!

No recalls that i can remember, but it took them several years to find out about the bonnet catch problem on the Clio II. Which variant you lookin at 197, cup, R27 or Lux??

320d
go for one as new as possible as the cold starts were fixed my an updated ECU on 2008ish, recaro's aren't really essential as the standard seats are good. Generally, if its been looked after then it'll be in good nick.

Go for a test drive and you'll be sold straight away!!!

No recalls that i can remember, but it took them several years to find out about the bonnet catch problem on the Clio II. Which variant you lookin at 197, cup, R27 or Lux??

Did you go for the recaro's mate?

I believe the standard seats are very good yes, but for me i'd have to tick the recaro box.

Was a 197
couldn't find brand new one in the country which was albi blue and cupped that had recaros. The thing with the recaros is you do get the wearing also you get less airbags too as in the standard seats there is 2 airbags in them.

Mk2 Clio dci
The wear isn't too bad if you don't lean on it a lot getting out. its covered by warrenty though..

Megane R26
What's your budget?

I have just bought an R27 - 1 of 500, which comes with Cup pack and Recaro's as standard...

320d
couldn't find brand new one in the country which was albi blue and cupped that had recaros. The thing with the recaros is you do get the wearing also you get less airbags too as in the standard seats there is 2 airbags in them.

I'd rather have the cup packs than seats mate, you made the right choice imo.

Was a 197
I'd rather have the cup packs than seats mate, you made the right choice imo.

The Cup stuff really does firm up the ride, just ask my back and arse, wolverhampton roads aint the best, all roadworkers are cowboys round 'ere!!!

Last edited:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
look out for rust!

You should know!

If your thinking of 08 plates onward no issues with old box or kangarooing as was fixed.

3yr warranty & breakdown so no worries at all.

Cup suspension & recaros are a must & i wouldn't buy without, just look at the 182's without cup sus no one wants them.

New clio not available till later this yr, will wait & see it in flesh before commenting.

Clio 197
If your thinking of 08 plates onward no issues with old box or kangarooing as was fixed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iv just got a 197 second hand and it kangarooed last night for the first time. How do i stop this issue? I had a similar problem with my pug and that annoyed me so i traded it in.

All 197s will Kangaroo to some extent, its the price you pay for a high revving 100bhp/litre NA engine. Early 197s are a LOT worse than the ones with the Updated Software.

Cup Suspension is a must, Recaros are brilliant. Just make sure you give it a good look over and look for early signs of wear and tear and you should be fine :)

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Some owners are reporting rust spots
Excessive wear on optional Recaro seats and rust on seat sub frames.
Gear ratio revision on later models
ECU udate to fix cold running issues

Then there are the normal niggles as with most new cars.

172 5HED
mine is 08 and kangaroos!! not letting anyone near my ecu from renault!

other than that, nothing to report!

Clio 197
There is an ECU upgrade software patch, book it in at Renault.

Yeah i will go down to the garage and ask them about it. Its only done it once but if there is a software patch and i aint had it i will go down. Still under warrenty so should get it on that. Cheers

Astra SRI/ Hornet
isn't the sport 200 out in may. Says so on the Renault website, I'd of either got a big discount or waited. Don't wanna piss on any1's fire or anything.

Yeah i will go down to the garage and ask them about it. Its only done it once but if there is a software patch and i aint had it i will go down. Still under warrenty so should get it on that. Cheers

If you've only had it once likely hood is that its been done tbh

Glacier White 200
Make sure you get the ECU update if it's a car before May-July 08. It doesn't just get rid of the kangaroo it also makes the car pull much better and gives it more low down torque.

On stock parts Renault ECU update is actually calibarated better than any after market remap and will give you the same stock gains as say an RS Remap, K-Tec etc.

Note this is on stock parts! Everyone that has a 197 should be running on the ECU update, it transforms the car.

PH1 172
recaro wearing problems - some owners have problems getting it covered under warrenty - depends on the dealership!

Cup pack is essential if you are leaving the car standard - if you plan to hoof it all out and replace with coilovers etc i wouldnt bother!

old box/new box makes harldy any difference - less than 5mph in 6th gear at the same revs AFAIK so again not as big a deal as people make out!

just bear in mind that recaro seats are a fortune (£1700 each from dealer) and rarely come up for sale second hand. So if you want them buy them with the car!

Ross

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Given the money you're looking to spend, have you considered the Meg? Recaro's as standard!

172 CUP
I got mine from Camden Renault Northampton Late november i think it was.

Only pic i have at the moment is
dark1.jpg

57 plate with cup pack and Recaros.

Love it, but i do need the ECU update doing as it bounces down the road when cold.

^ Mint photo! What you use to light the front of the car?

EDIT: I have standard cup alloys... could be interested....

Was a 197
If you do get a 197, just make sure u warm the engine up first, then start raggin it. You'll make the engine last longer this way!

Swift Sport
Instead of going to Renault I got mine re-mapped at a tuning place, this improved the cars performance AND cured the kangarooing!!