ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Beginning to have some 182 doubts...

Quoted from previous thread on May 12th

Cant fault the handling on mine. Goes round roundabouts etc like its on rails and fast out of roundabouts 2nd gear, no understeer or wheelspin with the pedal flat. It just is fantastic in the dry.

Little bit more nervous in the wet, had that feeling where the back goes light but only on/off the throttle, still easy to control. Not trying to be clever but wherever possible, brake in a straight line and then drive round the corners and youll be fine.

says he who will end up off the road backwards sooner or later :D

Other thing is I think it masks the speed, you are usually going faster than you think.

I cant find the other "182 handling" thread, but I have no complaints with the handling on mine. I was out with a friend (who used to have a new valver and wanted a demo) not long after I bought the car and was going for it a bit on my private racetrack when he pointed out to me that he was a little concerned as we were doing !00 on a long sweeping "but tight" left hander. I did not realise how fast we were going, car felt very composed and inspired loads of confidence but masked the speed.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 21 May 2004

182 - crap handling??!!:eek:

My 172 has all the same attributes as described above. Squirms under hard braking, follows potholes and imperfections in the road, feels loose at high speeds, chassis feels a bit on the nervous side.....took some getting used to.... but now I find thats half the fun.... you have to really concentrate to drive it fast and smoothe..... theres plenty of feedback to enable you to react to changes in the cars behaviour (imho anyway).... Patience young Padawan, in time you will learn to make use of the force....
AGREED! I think it has something to do with the width of the tyres and lightness of the PS. I checked my tyre presures the other day and now they are 33 front 31 back ... feels a lot lot lot better!!

Im glad theres plenty of constructive feedback here, I was becoming disillusioned with the 182 vs 172 banter!

Well, on the way home last night - ESP off - the 182 didnt do too badly at all. The engine is very impressive above 5200 rpm, and is very useful for cornering hard to enable the car to pull itself out. Just a shame that you need to work so hard to keep the engine on the boil - I now know why they put a 6 speeder in the 306 GTi6/Rallye - you can use more power, more of the time.

A couple of things stood out after the drive home, one was that the damping on the 182 could be much better. As has been said, its quite soft, and under extreme braking I reckon I was VERY close to scraping the splitter because the nose dove in so badly. It seems Coilovers are beginning to creep their way up the list!

The other thing that I noticed that would make the car better would be to fit a slightly lower ratio steering rack. As it is, every input - however minor - has a big affect on the car. So much so that it unsettles the car on minor mid corner adjustments. The steering is too sensitive, but it looks like I may be able to adjust to that.

The back end stepped out once. It was very sudden. Thankfully it rejoined the battle to get round the corner instead of ending up in a field! Ill check my tyre pressures today to make sure there isnt excess softness in the sidewalls.

So, next question is - those of you running coilovers - what is the ride quality like? If theyre not going to break the bank or my spine, then it may be a good way to go. I certainly wont need many engine mods, apart from shifting or expanding that brilliant power band.

Thanks for the replies.

Huw

Its an old school style hot hatch, its not meant to give loads of grip, be comfortable. Its supposed to be fun...a challenge. Frankly i dont like lift off oversteer (or FWDs as a whole) but if youre in the mood the 172 doesnt disappoint. Cant comment on the 182 but surely it will be better if anything?

Get some track driving and tuiton under your belt, maybe youll feel more relaxed and understand what the car is doing.

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by 106GTi97 on 20 May 2004

LOL, the torsion bars on most peugeots and citroens really does make the handling awesome even in standard form

Ive got a 106gti on a lowered torsion bar... and full bilstien setup with custom springs, and the handling is faultless, you can literally throw the car into most situations... its very uncomfortable though on hard bumps roads around Newcastle, but it really does handle well. Cant think of much really that can match it in standard form.
You attribute a torsion bar to great handling? Explain.

-Rob

Pukka thread!

So, are the 182s steering rack ratios adjustable then? How, how much?

It does make me smile how, even with the Cup kit, the 182 still needs some attention to improve certain elements. The thing is, to keep it in perspective, its a lorra car for £14k... The trouble is, when its been positioned/aclaimed as the "best hot hatch ever", thats a very powerful statement to make and itll come under very close scrutiny.

Still cant wait to get time - albeit with a more balanced opinion.

Wandering slightly off topic - what design of rear suspension does the Clio have compared to Peugeot/Citroen ( I havent looked underneath mine yet, lol!!)?

The steering rack isnt adjustable, I just mentioned that it seemed to be inaccurate when puched hard. It may well be that Im used to my Pug with marginally less direct steering reaction. If the Clios steering was any quicker itd be turning before you asked it to!!!!!!!

Ive found that I cant change gear in the 182 while under hard cornering or acceleration, if I do, then the car weaves as my arm is changing loading!! Ill have to take heed at what the advanced instructors teach you - change gear in a straight line! You could get away with it in the Rallye.

Hope the 182 has a rev limiter, LOL!!

Huw

Orange 182

I personally love the responsiveness of the steering, its great when you approach a sequence of bends and you can just sail through them at reasonable speed. However, I agree with your point about changing gear on a high speed bend, its so sensitive that you have to really concentrate and hold the wheel steady as you shift.

Im pretty certain the way youre feeling is down to the fact that youve become accustomed to driving one car in a particular way and now youre in something that is an entirely different beast. Give it time and i bet it grows on you...

Aye, it does seem that way. Ill be doing my best to get accustomed. Done 750 miles in 8 days, so Im trying hard!

Ill take it onto EVO mags favourite N Wales roads this weekend, see if I can get some pics too....

Huw

Orange 182

Ive been round N Wales in mine and its alot of fun... even with 4 people in the car it went really well and was very composed... unlike my driving ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 20 May 2004

U are seriously trying to tell us that an overweight 306 Rallye is better than a 182???
If youve never driven a 306 Rallye (or a GTi-6) then you cant comment...

Having owned a Rallye before my Cup, I know what both are capable of and the Pug really does handle well!

When Id only had my Cup about 3 months, myself and a couple of the lads I knew from my 306 days (including my old Rallye) went to York dragway, and we went along the A59 for a bit of a blast. I struggled to keep with the 306s through the twisty stuff, but had the legs on them in a straight line.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Balders on 20 May 2004

I am most unimpressed with the 182s cup suspension. Im beginning to wonder if I should have stuck to the standard suspension.
No, I drove a 182 on standard suspension and really did not rate it!

Hello Rich, many thanks for the support there! Hows the Civic behaving? Done any further mods to it yet?!

The 182s straight line speed impressed me again last night - the thing just goes barmy above 6K!! The Rallye didnt pull like that!

I think Im up to about the same speed as the rallye was on most corners between home and work. Back end seems to skip a bit when on the limit, just need to find a bit of road wide enough to find the limit!!

Doh, forgot to check them tyre pressures!

Huw

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by huw182 on 22 May 2004

Hello Rich, many thanks for the support there! Hows the Civic behaving? Done any further mods to it yet?!
Civic is very quick, but doesnt handle quite as well as the Cup did, but its still good and has massive amounts of grip. Gonna get the geometry tweaked to fast road spec, which costs about £150 and sorts them out.

Mods wise, fitted a BMC CDA last weekend, which complements the exhaust nicely and is now making 208bhp and 158lb/ft! :D

Clio 182 FF with Cup bits

I use one corner on my way home from work as a measure of my cars handling potential. I can honestly say that I have not gone round that corner as fast as I do in my 182 Cup - the car inspires so much confidence. Faster than my Honda s2000, Nissan Skyline GTS-t, and Williams 1 - In the Honda and Nissan I would bottle it at about 70MPH, the williams 75MPH, but the 182 I immediately had enough confidence to go round at 80MPH. I was shocked!!

I also have experienced the slow corner understeer that many of you have mentioned, and I also understand when people say that the car can be felt moving about under braking, the back end will get light under heavy braking for sure. I need a car that gives you this sort of feedback, I dont want my driving experience to feel sanitised and un-involving - I sold my S2000 to get back to enjoying my driving more.

Mission accomplished!!!

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 22 May 2004

When did they release a 182 Cup Simon?
Yeah never mind your constructive input into the thread,lets highlight whats an obvious mention of a 182 with cup bits :sick:

(I know what you meant and so do most people)

youve been here long enough and posted enough to work out what he meant! theres been loadsa threads about the possibilty of a 182 cup, surely uve seen one of them? the 182 cup doesnt exist, you can have a 182 with cup bits tho

[Edited by ClioDan on 5/23/2004 12:43:41 AM]

VaVa

Neil, Ill answer for him, just incase hes gone to bed. There is no 182 Cup. Thank f**k. If there was, wed have another 50 t**sers on here who puff out their chest everytime somebody mentions the word Cup or how it might just be possible that another car could be faster/better.

Would upset all those 182 owners as well, and maybe turn them bitter and twisted like what happend to some 172 owners when the Cup came out.

Clio 182 FF with Cup bits

Sorry to all for the offence I obviously caused some of you. I have a 182 with Cup bits. Ill change my profile so it just reads Clio 182. I didnt know how seriously some of you take all of this, I was just trying to be discriptive in my profile about the car I have.

Quote: Originally posted by simon4007 on 23 May 2004

Sorry to all for the offence I obviously caused some of you. I have a 182 with Cup bits. Ill change my profile so it just reads Clio 182. I didnt know how seriously some of you take all of this, I was just trying to be discriptive in my profile about the car I have.
Some people take it personally personally a 182 with cup bits is a 182 cup

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 23 May 2004

Would upset all those 182 owners as well, and maybe turn them bitter and twisted like what happend to some 172 owners when the Cup came out.
exactly!!;)

VaVa

For most of us its just a bit of fun...... Youll only find the 172 Cup owners are the ones who get upset about it. Call it what you want mate, its your car!!!

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 23 May 2004

Some people take it personally personally a 182 with cup bits is a 182 cup
Like a 1.4 golf with sports suspension is a GTI!;)

It does have var power steering doesnt it? Its a bloody pain in the ass. Have to fight the wheel all the time when at speed. Mine also becomes unstable at 120 and braking over 100 tends to make it pull to the side a bit. Pot holes and puddles are also a pain cos the steering goes funny and feels as though its skipped part of the road! Handling in the dry is very good I think (as long as you dont hit a pot hole or large bump). wet is okay but snow is terrible, esp with conts on....and I hit the kerb, costing over 700 quid :(

182, GTR, C63

Quote: Originally posted by cliopower on 23 May 2004

It does have var power steering doesnt it? Its a bloody pain in the ass. Have to fight the wheel all the time when at speed. Mine also becomes unstable at 120 and braking over 100 tends to make it pull to the side a bit. Pot holes and puddles are also a pain cos the steering goes funny and feels as though its skipped part of the road! Handling in the dry is very good I think (as long as you dont hit a pot hole or large bump). wet is okay but snow is terrible, esp with conts on....and I hit the kerb, costing over 700 quid :(
Go to the gym you puff try driving our works vans!! oh and i think people have me all wrong i dont care wot you call your 182 cup or woteva and im not gonna argue about whos cars faster because at the end of the day the driver is the main aspect to how fast a car can go. Am i a 1 off cup owner becuase i dont argue whos car is faster?

insignia

Same for me mate. I dont care whether its a 172 mk1 172mk2 172 cup,182,182 with cup bits on.It dont make sense. My mates got same car as me same colour.his is 182,mine is 172. We have been on loads of drives,and its fun. But I can honnestly say when we have been going for it,we have being doing so together,him not faster than me, and me not faster than me. Now why shud we have any jealousy toward any other RenaultSport owner? Pair of Eibachs on a 172 and you got everything you need+ the induction kit.

dk

911 GTS Cab

mine handles fantastic, I would say better than my 106 Gti used to and that was once claimed as the best handling hot hatch.