ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential VVT solenoid issue resistance. Read the post

Clio 182 5Door
Hi i recently had an issue with my 182 completely dead and refusing to start with some knocking in the head. My hydraulic lifters were dead. Long story short I replaced all of the hydraulic lifters and cam followers just for good measure. The camshaft was still in good condition and everything else seemed to be good (Lucky me). after I refitted everything I did a compression test to make sure and I was getting around 185 +/-5psi dry on all four cylinders which is pretty healthy. started her up no issues with ticking on idle ran smoothy no weird noises at idle.

I took it for a spin and it started making a ticking noise only above 1600rpm as soon as the rpm drops below that the ticking stops. I assumed it was just noisy lifters as they were new, so I let them run in for a short period of time, and the noise didn't change. I know this could potentially be a dephaser pulley issue as it engages around that rpm. So just for good measure, I decided to disconnect the vvt solenoid just a shot in the dark to see if it would do anything. Low and behold the noise disappeared. no ticking/knocking on idle and no noises under load at all.

I removed the solenoid clean it with carb cleaner and test it. The ticking noise that I heard was very similar to the solenoid engaging and disengaging very fast. I checked for shorts to the ground with a multimeter it seemed okay. but what I did observe is that I was getting very wild resistance readings when testing. I can't find any official figures on the VVT solenoid specifications but from what I assume from other solenoids is the specification should be between 8ohms and 12ohms.

My test results were

4.1ohms at room temp
19 ohms after I tested it a few times to clean it
59 ohms when warm

Can anyone point me in the right direction or not? What are your thoughts is it the solenoid or pulley
Thanks

Clio 182 5Door
UPDATE: I've not been able to get any response from anyone regarding this issue so I've had to experiment. I purchased a second-hand VVT solenoid that has been tested and refurbed for £20 from eBay. So I tested the resistance in ohms for the new(used) one and compared it to the one fitted to my car.

The result

Ebay solenoid tested at 1.3 ohms @ 15C
Current solenoid tested at 145.2 ohms @ 15C

I haven't fitted the eBay one yet I'll be doing it sometime this week. It's more of an update to anyone who has had the same issue. I'll give another update when it is finished.