ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Being 30 and in a 182

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I actually can't believe somebody would contemplate selling a car because of what other people think.

black 172
i'm 28 and just bought my 172 and love it i get crap at work but the lads all drive boring cars i will always have a hothatch or a fun car .

i remember when the EVO 8 had just come out and there was an old boy (65+)stood with a map on the bonnet of his brand new fq 320 in a local petrol station i asked if he was lost and he was just out for a random drive in his new toy he was using the map so he could head home ashe had just been taking lefts and rights at random to see where the roads would take him . i want to be just like that when i'm old .

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
i'm 28 and just bought my 172 and love it i get crap at work but the lads all drive boring cars i will always have a hothatch or a fun car .

i remember when the EVO 8 had just come out and there was an old boy (65+)stood with a map on the bonnet of his brand new fq 320 in a local petrol station i asked if he was lost and he was just out for a random drive in his new toy he was using the map so he could head home ashe had just been taking lefts and rights at random to see where the roads would take him . i want to be just like that when i'm old .

Same here. With no kids, who the hell have I got to leave anything too? Might as well have fun while you can, eh? :)

D.

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
I'm 36 and my mrs HATES my Clio and really doesn't understand my fascination and love of it at all.

She won't be seen dead in it! she thinks its chavy and poo.

I LOVE it to death!

Most of my non petrol head mates also think I am totally mental when it comes to my infatuation with the Clio as well it has to be said!

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I'm 54 and have owned my 172 Phase One for three and a half years. It's a total blast to drive. I've done 14 trackdays in it and it's never missed a beat on the track. My daughters all say it's the best car I've ever had. They're all in their 20's now. I've had allsorts of family cars over the years when the kids were smaller. They all live in their own now so I don't need a family car.
I've no intention of selling the Clio. I'd have another one tomorrow or a Megane 250 or 225F1. If I had some storage I'd buy a Megane as well as the Clio. Maybe one day. I've had more fun in the time I've owned the Clio than any other car I've owned. It makes me smile every time I drive it. The aural satisfaction is just brilliant.
I get 35 to 37mpg on a long run which is better than my wife's Astra 1.6. The insurance is cheaper than the Astra as well. Win win.
Anyone who thinks they're too old to be driving a RS Clio or Megane should think again. I wish I'd had one when they were new. Now second hand 172's etc are cheap as chips to buy.

I think I'd be very embarrased to own a clio sport over the age of 30. Just think they're more for young people as 1. they're small and 2 they're a bit cheap & chavvy (trophys & mark 3s excluded from the cheap part)

But that's just my opinion and I'm not having a go at anyone.

Clio 220 Trophy
I think I'd be very embarrased to own a clio sport over the age of 30. Just think they're more for young people as 1. they're small and 2 they're a bit cheap & chavvy (trophys & mark 3s excluded from the cheap part)

???????????????????????????????????????? Too Old at 30 lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I know you said that you're not having a go at anyone, but why would you magically 'change' your view at 30? Would being 29 and some months make it ok?

Being 'very embarrassed' about a car you currently own, once you reach a certain age seems a bit weird to me. Are you embarrassed by the 172 at the minute? I'm pretty sure that if I ever was embarrassed to drive a car - I'd have that feeling from the get-go - and not at some chronological landmark.

D.

Clio 172 RS2
Age is nothing but a number!

45 and in my 4th year of ownership... i'm lovin' it! #McLovin

So i should be driving a Golf or A3 for status and maturity?

I know you said that you're not having a go at anyone, but why would you magically 'change' your view at 30? Would being 29 and some months make it ok?

Being 'very embarrassed' about a car you currently own, once you reach a certain age seems a bit weird to me. Are you embarrassed by the 172 at the minute? I'm pretty sure that if I ever was embarrassed to drive a car - I'd have that feeling from the get-go - and not at some chronological landmark.

D.

Not exactly 30 - only said 30 cos that's what this thread is about.

I think that as my circumstances change I'm no longer going to want to drive round in a small hatchback which is a bit chavvy. That's just me, I've just asked my dad if he'd have my clio as his main car and he said yes. People drive what car they want - fair play!

Age is nothing but a number!

45 and in my 4th year of ownership... i'm lovin' it! #McLovin

So i should be driving a Golf or A3 for status and maturity?

No - if it ticks all your boxes then crack on! Don't see how a golf has much status though tbh..

RB Clio 182 Cup
My dad is 64 and has only had his 182 for a couple of years and he loves it. Whether you're 18 or 70 if you like cars you like cars and you will drive something fun, what others think is irrelevant.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
LOL at this, 50 and I've got a Clio Trophy and a Renault 5 GT Turbo. What does this say about me? That I've got taste as they are arguably two of the best hot hatches ever.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
The only reason Clios are seen as a chavvy is because 1*2s have fallen in to your average bellends price range,
give it a year or two and they'll have moved on to something else, when I was a teenager every dickhead wanted an
XR2, XR3i, RS Turbo or Cosworth and now decent examples of these go for good money again.

If we stick with it they'll lose their chavvy rep eventually and everyone that got rid of theirs because they were worried
about what other people thought of them, will be kicking themselves because good ones will be hard to come by.

Never live your life based on what other people might think of you, at some point i'd like a decent Impreza STI
and the fact that alot of them are driven by utter tools isn't going to deter me, if you like it drive it, if you don't sell it.

clio 172/Fabia vRS
My girlfriend is 30 (same age as me). She drives a Valver with a williams interior and full exhaust system, suspension setup etc. I sold my 172 to get a Fabia vRS a year ago for a long commute which I no longer do anyway. Miss the 172 every day even though it made more rattles and had idiosyncratic electrics on occasion.

So 2 points. 1.) Some girls do love cars and appreciate a hot hatch. 2.) 30 is definitely not too old for a RS clio I miss mine every day.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Of course Fletch. I love your bus. I love 1*2s in general.

We have the likes of Gaz85, and Ally local with immense examples of RS Clios. There are still a lot of chavtastic ones out there.

People might change their car because they want to impress people. Dave admitted he hated turning up to his job in the Trophy. A lot of others have as well.

Sometimes your job requires a certain look. The engineers that come to my work are told in no uncertain terms that the compsny car they get must give off the right image.

working for myself I use my car for going to meetings etc, one previous job was a large sports hall development at an expensive private school in Rutland. The architect (I have to work closely with them due to my job) was a large London outfit and I had regular meetings on site with them and the client. And what car did I roll up in......a 20 year old 205 Gti, it was a very clean standard example which helps.

The only time I didn't use the 205 to attend meetings was when I did a job in Scotland - too much/far to drive there and back in one day in a 205 :cool:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
working for myself I use my car for going to meetings etc, one previous job was a large sports hall development at an expensive private school in Rutland. The architect (I have to work closely with them due to my job) was a large London outfit and I had regular meetings on site with them and the client. And what car did I roll up in......a 20 year old 205 Gti, it was a very clean standard example which helps.

The only time I didn't use the 205 to attend meetings was when I did a job in Scotland - too much/far to drive there and back in one day in a 205 :cool:

Epic. :)

If I was on site and you turned up in that, you'd have my attention and respect straight away. I know everyone's not a petrolhead - but even 'non-believers' must appreciate the difference in a car like that turning up, compared to some anonymous box that clog our roads in their millions.

D.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Well... I'm now on the 'plus side' of 35 and still absolutely love my Trophy. I'll never be getting rid of it. I have the use of a Type-R everyday if I wish but (Despite being a great car and one I also love) it doesn't give me the buzz that the Trophy does. Admittedly my car has had a few tweaks but it was a great car before then (in my opinion, of course).

I take a bit of stick from folks at work but it's always my car they want a lift in when working offsite or if we are nipping down the local for a 'lunchtime meeting'... Likewise, my dad's well into his 70's now but always enjoys going out for a bit of a blast when I visit him and mum. He's going a bit deaf so can't fully appreciate the sound of the ITB's though. :D LOL!

I'm 54 and drive a bright yellow roller skate. People take the mick about driving a lairy car at my age and suggest that I should be in something more befitting my age. My reply is always that for the last thirty years I've driven boring family cars because that is what was necessary to transport the family safely. Now they've grown up and the missus drives a postman pat replica I can finally go back to my first love hot cars. It's down to what I can afford in my mid life crisis and I know that if I got a motorbike it would kill me so the Clio was an obvious choice. I had my 182 for three years and then bought the sunshine bus as I always wanted a Liquid yellow one.
Blimey, mate... you don't look a day of 40 ;) Proof (if ever it was needed) that the higher g-forces are great for smoothing out the appearance of wrinkles. Sod the Oil of Olay cr4p. Give me oil of Fuchs. LOL!

34 and love my 182. Have no immediate plans to get rid (mainly cos I can't afford anything off the list of cars I'd rather have).

But then as I've discussed with folks on here before - I'm one of the (apparently) very few people who really doesn't give a f**k what someone might think of me because of what car I drive. If you're the kind of person that thinks less of me because I drive a Clio then I really don't care what you think.

1eight2
I'm 23 and feel like im already out growing it. My sensible side says get a BMW or an Audi any my inner child says get a 200!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Clio's weren't great for my job TBH, it was hard to be taken as grown up when arriving bouncing down the road.

The BMW however, I waft down the road, step out and look like a baus.

I'd still have no problem owning one what so ever, I really do love them, but they're not grown up cars.

Last edited:
  DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'm 33 and only just got out of a mk1!!! Clios can be quite dignified if you steer clear of lairy coloured badges, and noise inducing zero performance benefit mods

Me and you just fell out. I'll be 30 next year and I'll probably still have the Clio.

Clio 182
I'm 29, 30 this year and just bought the 182 to replace my Impreza .. I was looking at it in ASDA car park yesterday, thinking to myself .. have I made a mistake .. do I just look a fool ..

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

41 here, and I regularly do exactly this only with the SatNav set to 'Home' so when I decide to bail/it's time for dinner it guides me straight back again.

Looking at prices of 172 Cups right now...I may well have a good chance of convincing the wife I may as well keep it as well as the 200 :approve:

E36 M3. 182
I think as you get a little older you appreciate how much 'bang for buck' and 'grin factor' the 1*2's provide and use these as factors in choosing a car.
When you're younger, i suppose you get influenced more easily by the views/opinions of others (dem b**ches etc....). Hence the 'youths' thinking that they'd be embarassed/ too grown up for one once they're 30. Personally, i'm 28 and love my 182, its a bit rough to look at, but nowt a good clean and polish wouldnt sort and the performance and economy are both ideal

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Nearly 40 love my Clio have owned and driven faster but nothing has been as much fun esp considering how cheap the Clio is to run.