ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Being 30 and in a 182

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
My missus was talking last night to me and saying basically should I really be driving about in a Clio 182 at 30 - isn't it a bit strange?? After I spat my tea out my mouth it got me thinking..... has she got a point ?? and then I came back round to thinking she can sod off as I love driving it, after 4 years it still makes me smile etc

conclusion - I think i'll always have a renaultsport in some shape or form even when in my 40's

anyone else had a similar chat with the other halves

RB 182 FF
Hi Richie! Im 29 and just bought a Racing Blue 182! I thought the same thing but then how much the car makes me smile makes me not care if it's a Clio!! They are awesome fun and cheap cars to run, when I hit 40 I'll grow up a bit!haha. Enjoy ur 182 mate, age is only a number!:)

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
I'm 38 and I've still got mine (although it'll probably be going at some point this year) so I'd say don't worry about it. If you enjoy it then who cares what anyone thinks.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Hi Richie! Im 29 and just bought a Racing Blue 182! I thought the same thing but then how much the car makes me smile makes me not care if it's a Clio!! They are awesome fun and cheap cars to run, when I hit 40 I'll grow up a bit!haha. Enjoy ur 182 mate, age is only a number!:)

Good work - next time she wants a lift to work i'll tell her to say sorry to the clio ha

RB 182 FF
Good work - next time she wants a lift to work i'll tell her to say sorry to the clio ha

Ye make sure you do that!:) At the end of the day what do women know about cars anyway...?!!:) This is my first Renaultsport and Ive always wanted a 182, now I've taken the plunge Im so glad I did, I've had far more expensive and more powerful cars but the 182 beats them hands down for me!!:)

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Quality - glad you're enjoying it. I wanted one ever since I first saw the PH1 clio sport come out and my boss had one. I'm not sure I'll ever sell

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm 32 now and I've been driving cliosports for ten years now. I think I'm gonna have to knock them on the head at 35 though and buy something like a golf gtd.

RB 182 FF
Quality - glad you're enjoying it. I wanted one ever since I first saw the PH1 clio sport come out and my boss had one. I'm not sure I'll ever sell

We sound very similar Richy, I've wanted one ever since a mate in college bought a brand new 02 Iceberg silver 172. I was 19 and he threw me the keys to give it a blast and I was blown away by it and the memories have stuck ever since!!:) Finally 10 years later I have one:) It's nice to hear people of a similar age feel the same as I do, Im buzzing with excitement at the moment, what a car!:)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If the thought of it makes you feel awkward, or you're getting hassle off colleagues, friends, kids in the street about it, and that makes you feel awkward... do someting about it.

If not, don't even think about it for a second more.

I'm going to guess your OH is not a 'car person' ?

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I'm not going to be able to relax until I have a V6 next to my 182 and R26r :)

Leeds 182 - don't do it

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
If the thought of it makes you feel awkward, or you're getting hassle off colleagues, friends, kids in the street about it, and that makes you feel awkward... do someting about it.

If not, don't even think about it for a second more.

I'm going to guess your OH is not a 'car person' ?

Very good guess

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
I like driving about in it and having other 182 drivers flashing at me - it's awesome

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Im 32, mentally alot younger tbf and i love mine. Yeah its not my 'ideal' car but hey doesnt owe me anything abd i enjoy driving it,well most of the time that is lol

Cliosport 182 ff
My missus was talking last night to me and saying basically should I really be driving about in a Clio 182 at 30 - isn't it a bit strange?? After I spat my tea out my mouth it got me thinking..... has she got a point ?? and then I came back round to thinking she can sod off as I love driving it, after 4 years it still makes me smile etc

conclusion - I think i'll always have a renaultsport in some shape or form even when in my 40's

anyone else had a similar chat with the other halves
Ha, 53 and just bought my first 182! Had various Ford RS's, 205 GTI's etc and love this more than any of them. The wife loves driving it too and she runs a Cooper S.

Mk1 Focus RS
all depends how you feel about it, if you feel like its time to grow up then move on to something more sensible if not just carry on enjoying owning a fun car.

im only 23 but i dont think ill ever grow out of hot hatches/fast cars. maybe when im 60 ha!

mondeo titanium tdci
I'm 34 and I love my 182 its so much fun If I was made to choose Clio or misses the clio would win end of

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I'm 36 in 2 weeks, and in all honesty I could easily enjoy and own a 182, 172 or anything small and nippy. It's all done to how you drive it I suppose - if you use it properly on a track or on the B and A roads - then it's the right choice.

As soon as I no longer trust my ability or I am questioned by others, I'll probably move onto larger barges. I can only see this ST220 staying for a year or so then back to a small nut-case mobile.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I'm 36 and i've had Golfs, Astras and all sorts of other 'sensible' cars and they all bored the hell out of me.
The nicest car I ever owned was a Golf GT TDI 4motion with leather interior, CD multichanger, cruise control etc
and I was bored with it after 3 months and that's been the case with every car i've owned, apart from the 172.

We spend so much time driving, we might aswell drive something that puts a smile on your face,
at the end of the day you don't own a car based on what other people think, you base it on how much you enjoy it. :approve:

My 172 puts a smile on my face almost every day.

260% JCW
I'm 30 and I've only just sold the 172, the guys in work would try and give me stick for it, but i don't succumb to peer pressure lol.

I'll have another Clio at some point, a Trophy or Cup i hope just as a weekend kind of thing.

pimp mobile Zafira
I'm going to be 34 this year and love my 182. My missus thinks I'm a big kid for driving it. What does she know.

I'm 54 and drive a bright yellow roller skate. People take the mick about driving a lairy car at my age and suggest that I should be in something more befitting my age. My reply is always that for the last thirty years I've driven boring family cars because that is what was necessary to transport the family safely. Now they've grown up and the missus drives a postman pat replica I can finally go back to my first love hot cars. It's down to what I can afford in my mid life crisis and I know that if I got a motorbike it would kill me so the Clio was an obvious choice. I had my 182 for three years and then bought the sunshine bus as I always wanted a Liquid yellow one.

White clique
I dont think its strange being seen in a 182 at 30, in fact i still see a few older people (i.e 50+) in clio sports pottering to the shops, same with 197s and 200s.

What IS a bit of a wrongun IMO is being 30 AND being a boy racer / chav in a 182, there is a massive difference!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I got my first 205 gti at 32 and got a 172 at 36. Could have gone out a got a much newer and bigger car but didn't want one plus i hate losing money on cars. My cars prior to the 205 were family orientated while the kids grew up. The 172 only went because we bought a caravan (after 10 years of camping). Now we have a 500 abarth and a diesel 3 series with 145,000 on the clock.

Drive the car you want and fek everyone else, women don't get it anyway.

Last edited:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Don't understand the problem. Although the clio 172, 182 etc is a sport model when you look closer it is a very good everyday car. Everytime I speak to my dad he is more impressed with it. He can't get over the fuel consumption considering how well it goes. He went as far as to say it's the best car he's owned! He's 63. I would have one in a heartbeat but I'm still paying off debt so I'm stuck with a 106 diesel.

It's a shame that a cars rep has more weight than it's spec and capability.

37 and just got a 172 so don't worry what other people think, drive what you want to drive. Life's short, enjoy it while you can.

RB 182 Cup
44 with a 182 and just buying an R53 Cooper S for my wife (so that I can drive it too). Always had small hot hatches, get teased at work all the time about being a boy racer and that I should grow up and get a car more befitting of my age. Never! Might not give me 60mpg and they cost a lot to tax, but they only ever cost me £4000-£7000 and don't lose £000s the minute I drive them out of a showroom as a new car would.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Didnt realise so many of you were that old! Haha, just joking!

Im 25 next month and plan on keeping forever, even when it may not be practicle my plan is for it to be garaged away.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I dont think its strange being seen in a 182 at 30, in fact i still see a few older people (i.e 50+) in clio sports pottering to the shops, same with 197s and 200s.

What IS a bit of a wrongun IMO is being 30 AND being a boy racer / chav in a 182, there is a massive difference!

That's kinda what I was wanting to say.

I do see a lot of people with kids running around in 182s. That's great. Best of both worlds imo.

Then again chavs have given them a bit of a bad name, there are some shocking examples in my area so you end up tarred with the brush.

I bet a lit of people have changed cars on this forum because they worry about what people think. There's nothing wrong with that imo. Sometimes it's nice to have something classy on the drive.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
That's kinda what I was wanting to say.

I do see a lot of people with kids running around in 182s. That's great. Best of both worlds imo.

Then again chavs have given them a bit of a bad name, there are some shocking examples in my area so you end up tarred with the brush.

I bet a lit of people have changed cars on this forum because they worry about what people think. There's nothing wrong with that imo. Sometimes it's nice to have something classy on the drive.

182 is classy