ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bent tie rod / track rod. Advice...?

Clio 1.4 16v
Hi guys,
Skidded on the ice this morning, ended up sliding downhill sideways into a kerb. Not good. Anyway, the tie rod is now quite bent, and one wheel now points in slightly the wrong direction, looks very similar to the damage in C.slicker's photos on this thread:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=223292

I'd be grateful if someone could give me some advise on the best thing to do. C.Slicker was advised to replace the whole steering rack, which I think he did. Now, I dont fancy doing that myself really, sounds a bit tricky. Car is 2003 Clio Dynamique 1.4 16v.

So do I:
a) get a whole steering rack from a breakers (is it wise to get something like a steering rack from a breakers?) then take it to a garage to fit.
b) Just take it to a garage and get them to change the rod.
c) Anyone here in the Leeds area with the right tools fancy doing either of the above for me for a bit of cash.

I'm looking for the cheapest option in the longterm. Also can anyone recommend a decent garage in the woodhouse/headingley/burley/kirkstall area of Leeds, otherwise I'll just take it to the usual who will probably overcharge me!

Cheers
Nick

Mental 172 Cup
if you can get tie rods for it i would change the rod as i could imagine a rack being costly!

just need to drop down subframe and unbolt rack and then change the rod! :D

www.renparts.co.uk
We do the complete rack for 40 + Delivery, we also sell the track rods seperate which is an option, and straightforward to swap.

Ph1 track 172
how much are track rods??
one of mines abit off,
wheels look exactly straight,
but steering wheels a few degrees off :(

Clio 1.4 16v
Just to let anyone know if they end up with the same problem I had, got it fixed at the garage this week. Was a lot more reasonable than I thought it would be. Cost me about £130 for the track rod and all labour. Not bad. Luckily the rack was fine.

In response to the post above, my steering wheel is a few degrees off as well and pulls a bit to the left, has done for a while now, bit annoying when on the motorway cos gotta put a little bit of constant pressure on. Not sure what it is, probably bent something when I hit a kerb in a multistorey or something! Either way the work just done to the steering rack and track rod hasnt fixed it.