ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bent valves have clipped the bores

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi all,

So I'm in the process of repairing my spare engine and found things were worse than expected.

The valves on the exhaust side are all bent, though intake seem OK but not willing to take a chance so the plan was to replace the lot. Then I noticed the bent valves have clipped the very top of the bores.

So, is it still viable to use this block?

20210207_130426.jpg
20210207_130422.jpg
20210207_130418.jpg
20210206_175059.jpg
20210207_130426.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20210206-WA0029.jpeg
    IMG-20210206-WA0029.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG-20210206-WA0036.jpeg
    IMG-20210206-WA0036.jpeg
    948 KB · Views: 39
  1.2 Dynamique
If it doesn't affect the gasket and the top ring reversal point is lower than the damage (which it looks like it is from the discolouration on the bore) then I'd say its OK.
It may need fettling or something to ensure there are no raised burrs/edges that would stand the cyl head fireface off sealing properly though.
Still a risk over an undamaged block though.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I’d say you’d get away with it, the pistons don’t go up as far as that. So I can’t see it affecting anything.

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If it doesn't affect the gasket and the top ring reversal point is lower than the damage (which it looks like it is from the discolouration on the bore) then I'd say its OK.
It may need fettling or something to ensure there are no raised burrs/edges that would stand the cyl head fireface off sealing properly though.
Still a risk over an undamaged block though.
There is a very slight raised burr...

1.2 Dynamique
There is a very slight raised burr...
If you've got a very fine and small sanding block I would use that but go at it with care! Pay particular attention to not damaging anywhere the gasket sealing bead will sit on.
All in my opinion only of course!

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If you've got a very fine and small sanding block I would use that but go at it with care! Pay particular attention to not damaging anywhere the gasket sealing bead will sit on.
All in my opinion only of course!
Thats sort of what I was thinking. Its only a very slight burr, but may possibly interfere with the seal.
I'll have a fettle with it and see how it looks.
I was planning on running a low pressure boost system on this engine.
As long as there's nothing sitting proud I couldn't see as it'd be a major drama, but always good to get other thoughts on it