ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best aftermarket exhaust for a 172

What do you recommend? I read somewhere that the standard system is very good - is it worth the extra expense/hassle fitting a new one?

GR7

Shiny red R32

James, the standard exhaust is hidden behind the rear bumper, I havent seen mine yet!

it cant be that good - its got a cat and a silencer the size of England - you cant hear the things - youd have thoguth renault would have given it a sporty note at least

GR7

Shiny red R32

My last Pug S16 sounded so much sportier than my 172, but it did have a nice Scorpion! The 172 sounds prettier ordinary to me.

GirlRacer - I know! I popped into a Renault garage to see the 172 at the weekend and the exhaust is tucked right up under the bumper! Bet the after-market exhaust companies dont like it?!!

So, whats the verdict - which after-market exhaust is best?

I was surprised at how loud my factory exhaust was when I opened her up. Wasnt expecting any noise really - I was very surprised.

Lionel Richie

Magnex, Scorpion, Mongoose, Powerflow, Sebring theyre all much better than factory (soundwise anyway)

I got a CAT back scorpion. I think it sounds pretty nice, there wouldnt be a huge difference in performance terms between the aftermarket exhausts. Just go for the one you like the look of.

Chun.

Chun,

Ive been looking at the same system - is it the 4-inch round Imola? Have you any pics/wavs and would you recommend it for someone who does a fair old bit of motorway driving?

Thanks mate!

Matt

sorry to say it guys, but the standard exhaust is very efficient. And tha cat doesnt become a restriction to power until about 200 hoprses.
Its like the old 205 Gti, it has such a good exhaust, that aftermarket ones actually led to less power overall.
But any good exhaust will sound loads better i agree to that indefinately. Maybe the only way of gettin any decent rise in power is a custom straight through with as litte bends as possible, or maybe a side exit to shorten the system.

i knew this was gonna come up. They still use the cat and just increase the bore as there at 7000rpm most of teh time. I didnt say you couldnt improve on the system, just that its good as standard, and if you want, you can buy the clio cup exhaust system....just aint fancy lookin.

BenR I dont think ive lost any performance but dont think Ive gain much if any. But I do think its slighty better above 5k rpm Matt I dont have a digital camera or a way of recording sound soz. When are you thinking of getting the exhaust?. If your coming to the rolling road day you could see the exhaust and hear it. Its a bit boomy (spelling?) around 3-4k but I can live with it, I drive a lot of motorway miles as well. Actually I have grown use to kit so it doesnt bother me much anymore. Ben m8 have you seen the exhaust on my car yet?.

Chun.

BenR - Do you know roughly how much the Cup exhausts would cost ? Who supplies them ? When I get mine I am not amazingly worried amout the looks would just like a bit more noise and the best perfomance benefits.

Cheers,

Carl

Chun mate, i havent seen your car for ages, gimmie a call on 07779119745 sometime so i can have a look at your car. Oh, you commin to the castle coombe trackday this sat? i am.
oh, the cliosport exhaust is only really available from france, since the cliocup cars are brought from france complete. But i think you will be able to contact the people who sell them on 0033235828166....be warned its in france and the dude speaks french. I tried today, but he seemed a bit rude.

Ben m8 I cant go to castle coombe this week, would be fun but I work that day plus I have to study and work on my assignments.

Chun.