ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best all-round semi-slicks?

BG 182FF
You should only accept tyres with NHS, Not for Highway Use or similar markings if they have an ‘E’ marking and a number contained within a circle. Adjacent to this circle, the sidewall must also be marked with a six digit number, which may be preceded by 75R or similar marking (see example below).

example_tyre_marking.png

7. 'E' Marking
All car tyres sold from 1st July 1997 must carry an 'E' marking. The 'E' or 'e' mark consists of an 'E' or 'e' followed by a number included in a circle of 12mm diameter or a rectangle. This symbol is followed by a further number.
The 'E' certifies that the tyre complies with the dimensional, performance and marking requirements of ECE Regulation 30.
The 'e' certifies that the tyre complies with the dimensional, performance and marking requirements of Directive 92/23/EEC.
The number associated the with the letter 'E' in the circle or 'e' in the rectangle is the code number of the government which granted the type approval (No. 11 for the British Government and a different identifying number for each of the other European countries involved).
The number outside the circle or rectangle is the number of the type of approval certificate issued for that particular tyre size/type.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Out of interest, anyone used the following?:

How does the AR1 compare to a 888 dry & wet?
My partners last track car always had NS2R’s on it. We both love them - not amazing but allow you to move the car around a lot. Great fun.

he then fitted 2 AR1’s to the front and within 5 laps it pulled the driveshaft out of the box.

back to work, gearbox refurb, two brand new driveshafts.

next track day, it lasted half a day before the exact same happened again.

they grip incredibly but for a 10 year old fiat, they just gripped too much. 😂

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
My partners last track car always had NS2R’s on it. We both love them - not amazing but allow you to move the car around a lot. Great fun.

he then fitted 2 AR1’s to the front and within 5 laps it pulled the driveshaft out of the box.

back to work, gearbox refurb, two brand new driveshafts.

next track day, it lasted half a day before the exact same happened again.

they grip incredibly but for a 10 year old fiat, they just gripped too much. 😂
As I said, in the summer I daily on 888s. Just wondered if AR1s would be better, worse or basically the same?

Sticking with the AR1's! Checked my fronts tread depth and they still have legal thread on them around 2-3mm, so just gonna purchase a pair of 225/45/15 rears at £280.

Done a lot of research on the A052 over the weekend and the consensus is they are a fantastic all-round tyre, but do go off very quickly in around 2-3 laps and wear very fast on a hot, dry track. Whereas the AR1's you can get a good 5 hot laps and the wear rate is fantastic. The downside they are poor in wet conditions.

3 sets of wheels it is then! :rolleyes:

In typical CS fashion, I've asked advise about one thing and bought something totally different :D

Just purchased a new set of MRF ZTR semi-slicks, 195/50/15 front - 225/45/15 rear for £486 delivered!

Cant find any official reviews about them but they are the control tyre of the Civic cup series so should be decent enough. What info I can find is they are quicker than the AR1's and last much longer, plus they are supposedly decent in damp/light rain...winner! They are also road legal being 1C.

Oulton 3 weeks today to test them out.

MRF MOTORSPORT ZTR TYRE CIRCUIT RACE/TRACKDAY | Tegiwa Imports

1615388621297.png

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
In typical CS fashion, I've asked advise about one thing and bought something totally different :D

Just purchased a new set of MRF ZTR semi-slicks, 195/50/15 front - 225/45/15 rear for £486 delivered!

Cant find any official reviews about them but they are the control tyre of the Civic cup series so should be decent enough. What info I can find is they are quicker than the AR1's and last much longer, plus they are supposedly decent in damp/light rain...winner! They are also road legal being 1C.

Oulton 3 weeks today to test them out.

MRF MOTORSPORT ZTR TYRE CIRCUIT RACE/TRACKDAY | Tegiwa Imports

View attachment 1526105
Seen a couple E92 guys run these and rate them for the cash

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Seen a couple E92 guys run these and rate them for the cash
This always worries me on a review. Good for the cash.
It’s like taking a hammer to the back of the head and staying could have been worse, could have been a train.

I find tire choice is so personal and based on multiple things, including what your last tyre was. For instance soneone coming from a linglong ditch finder to a RSR595 is going to be impressed. Someone going from a AD48 to a RSR595 less so

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Definitely a quick lap. Nick is a big advocate for the MRF’s (he is a dealer of them too)
My mate runs them on his mk3. They’re fantastic! It’s not a case of “orate for the money” imo..... they’re just as grippy as something like an AR1, but they are much more hard wearing.

Well received the MRF ZTR's, and well, what a disappointment.

2 different tread patterns received, the 225's are DOT dated 4919, so 16 months old and are also non e-marked for road use.

Asked for medium compound, but received H1, the hardest.

Wasn't happy at all so requested a exchange for the tried and tested AR1's.

Tegiwa were great with my disappointment, MOT (MRF distributor) not so. Just received loads of excuses. Basically they sent me a pilot pair or 225's, and stated they've designed the ZTR with different patterns, based around different sizes. b****cks! The 195's are labelled MRF ZZTC in their catalogue, also demon tweeks are selling them as tarmac/asphalt rally tyres.

Overall, really unhappy with the purchase of the MRF tyres as I was really looking forward to using them, based off reviews.

20210317_115545.jpg
Screenshot_20210317-121155_Gallery.jpg
20210317_131518.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
@JB21

I bought some MRF’s today. My pal uses them on his clio track car and he’s tried every tyre going. He’s done around 10 track days and they’re only just starting to go off. He sings their praises very highly.

here’s mine, arrived today.

ECF0BC46-DFE2-4B1E-BCAE-35A4D88B6F65.jpeg

@JB21

I bought some MRF’s today. My pal uses them on his clio track car and he’s tried every tyre going. He’s done around 10 track days and they’re only just starting to go off. He sings their praises very highly.

here’s mine, arrived today.

View attachment 1528019
Sure they'll be great being all the same tyre and e-marked for road. I would have probably kept them if the same pattern and road legal. What DOT dated are yours?

Just don't get the branding.

MRF ZTTC - https://www.demon-tweeks.com/mrf-mo...KBII8SEbnfcxnWtnO5AaAot2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

MRF ZTR - https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/mrf-motorsport-tyres-ztr-tarmac-rally-trackday-tyre-1353124/

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’ll have a look in a sec. they’re in the bot of my car, I’ll update!

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I’m sure when I spoke to MOT he said there was only one compound aswell. Odd!

From the feel of both tyres in H1 compound, they will require heat. Similar feel to a hard compound Kumho V70a. Also a very good tyre once up to temp.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I’ve ran the V70’s in both medium and hard.... didn’t last long 😂
Strange given how stiff they actually feel to touch.

The ZTR’s are definitely on my list to try next.... they’re just a fortune in 17”. A few mates managed get a real good deal on a few sets at 100 quid a tyre.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I had a set of MRF Super softs for sprinting, they were good but only lasted around 6 sprints.

My competitors were using £1200 quid full slicks, I just couldn’t stretch to them at the time.

It must be tyre day.. Took delivery of a set of AR1's that ive been meaning to try for a while and another set of AO52s which ill scrub in ready for Timeattack in May. View attachment 1528072

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Bet the missus loves the house smelling like Kwikfit 😄

Tried to order the yokos as the exchange, but no stock. Defo gonna try them next time around. How come you use both tyres?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Bet the missus loves the house smelling like Kwikfit [emoji1]

Tried to order the yokos as the exchange, but no stock. Defo gonna try them next time around. How come you use both tyres?
Well,my intentions are to find a cheaper alternative to the 52s as much as they are brilliant in wet,cold damp, dry conditions they don't seem to wear very well. They are quite expensive as well and i do tend to do quite a few trackdays. (6 booked for april and may). People rave on about the AR1s and they are ~£50 per corner cheaper than 52s. There is a set of 52s on the car at present which i doubt will last 2/3 more trackdays and i have entered into the RWYB class of Timeattack at Cadwell and i am going to use 52s for that day so the new ones will be scrubbed in ready for that. In the meantime im gonna give the AR1s a go to see what all the fuss is about.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
6 track days in the space of 2 months and you're worried about £50 a corner more [emoji28]

Year's worth of track days for me that [emoji23]
Ah come on dude. It could be 7 if a saving is made.. [emoji23]

Well,my intentions are to find a cheaper alternative to the 52s as much as they are brilliant in wet,cold damp, dry conditions they don't seem to wear very well. They are quite expensive as well and i do tend to do quite a few trackdays. (6 booked for april and may). People rave on about the AR1s and they are ~£50 per corner cheaper than 52s. There is a set of 52s on the car at present which i doubt will last 2/3 more trackdays and i have entered into the RWYB class of Timeattack at Cadwell and i am going to use 52s for that day so the new ones will be scrubbed in ready for that. In the meantime im gonna give the AR1s a go to see what all the fuss is about.

Not used the 052's myself but they seem a great all-rounder. AR1's are fantastic in the dry, and even in damp conditions with no standing water to cool them. You’ll only be disappointed when its a cold, pissing down day as they are sketchy.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member

Try Wheels Around at Knockhill, he was 80/90 quid cheaper per tyre for my size and put them into AR1 prices for a superior tyre

Dunno if he would post mind you but if they were a good bit cheaper I could collect and you organise a courier

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Is anyone able to source AR1’s in 195/50/15 atm, struggling to find them anywhere.