ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Car After A Clio

Meg 230 R26 F1
I was wondering what people are driving after owning a cliosport 1*2?

I have had a ph-1 172 for a year now and am looking to change...budget of around £5000

Had an mr2 gt t-bar before the clio so i was thinkin about getting an mr2 turbo.

insurance price is not an issue, but i dont really need a family car yet so any suggestions of what to get next?

thanks

impreza p1
from my ph1 172 i went

astra gsi turbo
audi s3
liquid yellow 182
impreza p1 which i'm selling to buy a vee :)

impreza p1
the gsi was nice but i'd have a type r all day long, there more common but thats because they are such a good car, just does everything well.
the astra can't put the power down that well, in the wet just spins like mad, not the best handling car either, i had it in arden blue which looked smart but wouldn't have another one

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
my mate had a astra gsi in hardon blue. remapped to 280 bhp was fast in a stright line but wasnt good in corners.

standard imo they are a good car. 150 mph top speed. 0-60 in 7 and handing by lotus. (kind of). cheap to fix but weak g.boxes

clio trophy No56
306 gti 6, i just sold mine not long ago, you will get a high mile one for about £1500, and a low mile one for about £3000.
I would keep the 172 or get a 172 cup, i sold my FF182 and bought the gti 6, although the 6 was a rapid car and didnt have any real issues with it, you just dont get the smile factor like you get with the clio, so i bought a Trophy.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
^^^
Seconded on the FTO IMHO.

The standard CS progression seems to be either VX220/R26/ST/VXR or just mad jap thing (DC5, CTR, 200SXs etc). And the odd one that goes to a Vee as well.

£5k tbh you can't really go much quicker or have as much fun as a ClioSport for that money.

Dan

clio trophy No56
i mean explain as to why fto's are not good

(someone posted a reply in, as i was typing last reply)

As far as stats go the V6 fto is more or less the same as a RS Clio according to mitsi, 197bhp, 147nm torque, 0-60, 0-100, quater mile, but in my experience they are not as quick and dont handle as well as a clio, i just think they look papa, unless someone has looked after it and spent alot of money on it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I wouldnt say the FTO is crap id just say its an aquired taste.

IF you can get the rare manual MIVEC 6 speed your laughing but there very hard to come by.

IF insurance aint an issue and you want somthing silly fast buy a Pulsar GTiR

5k will get you a nice Fiat coupe 20v turbo, easlily does 155mph & will hit 60 in 6 secs & to a ton in 14 secs (as standard) tuning them to start off with is quite cheap (a chip can be had for £30) you'll need a few bits to go with it though.

If I wanted something quick for 5k i'd do that (i've have one by the way)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
5k will get you a nice Fiat coupe 20v turbo, easlily does 155mph & will hit 60 in 6 secs & to a ton in 14 secs (as standard) tuning them to start off with is quite cheap (a chip can be had for £30) you'll need a few bits to go with it though.

I know this is rich coming from a Renault owner. But fiats have terrible reliability issues, probably 10 times worse than Renault.

Fast cars but id avoid it like the plague!

visualize whirled pe
^ pop over on the Fiat forums, Fiats are not actually as bad as many make them out to be, I started getting intrested in them when a fella from the club came on here a year or so back after having a play with a clio RS.

Is the £5k including your cars value? If I was spending £5k and wanted something that wasnt a classic ford I'd look at a supra 3.0 nonturbo (if you can find a manual one) or a celica GT4 or an S14a 200sx or even this twin turbo 300zx http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/450990.htm or an RX7 http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/390470.htm

Flame 172
IF insurance aint an issue and you want somthing silly fast buy a Pulsar GTiR

I had one of these as my last car, paid £3500 for it inc. mods to take it up to about 300bhp. Bit rattly and felt quite fragile (at least mine did) but only ever got troubled by Skyline GTRs. Truely awesome performance for the price, but you will need quite deep pockets to keep it going... averaged 120miles to a tank :eek:

I know this is rich coming from a Renault owner. But fiats have terrible reliability issues, probably 10 times worse than Renault.

A load of tosh tbh, if you buy one that's hard a hard life, sure it'll go wrong on you, but buy one that's been cherished & you'll have no problems at all.

I had mine for 18 months & nothing at all went wrong, it was a cracking example. He will get a good one for 5k. The bulid quality on the coupe pee's over a renault anyday of the week too.

^ pop over on the Fiat forums, Fiats are not actually as bad as many make them out to be, I started getting intrested in them when a fella from the club came on here a year or so back after having a play with a clio RS.

Agreed, it's only other forums such as this one that they do have a bad rep for reliatility etc, but speak to someonoe who has actually owned one etc & they'll tell you different.

It's scaremongering tbh, a bit like if I buy a rover the head gasket is 100% going to fail on it (you read that on here all the time, yet in reality nhow many have ever experienced it ??) probably a load of old rubbish tbh.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

A load of tosh tbh, if you buy one that's hard a hard life, sure it'll go wrong on you, but buy one that's been cherished & you'll have no problems at all.

I had mine for 18 months & nothing at all went wrong, it was a cracking example. He will get a good one for 5k. The bulid quality on the coupe pee's over a renault anyday of the week too.

Agreed, it's only other forums such as this one that they do have a bad rep for reliatility etc, but speak to someonoe who has actually owned one etc & they'll tell you different.

It's scaremongering tbh, a bit like if I buy a rover the head gasket is 100% going to fail on it (you read that on here all the time, yet in reality nhow many have ever experienced it ??) probably a load of old rubbish tbh.

YOu dont happen to be a Fiat salesman by anychance do you?:)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Nah it's fair, Fiats aren't as bad as people make out. And the Coupe's are very well made (Pininfarina?). Also on the higher spec 20vTs - (SE is it?) - big 4 pot Brembos, leather etc. And they are b*****d well fast -handle incredibly well for a seriously torquey FWD as well.

Dan