ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best coilovers for a 172.



  Ph1 172
look at loads of post about coilovers. was origanlly looking at h&r, but others seem to making there way onto the market slowly.

whats do you reckon.

nathan
 
  EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
..depends as usual on budget and what sort of use for your car?, Leda are the best, H&R, KW etc
 
  Ph1 172
as long as they can provide good drivability on track and are very adjustable i will be happy. not to worried about budget as long as it dont exceed £1000 lol.

nathan
 
I'd go with the Lda coilovers the group buy has means there 30% off at the moment there somehting like £900 and about the best you can buy.
 
  Lionel Richie
nowt wrong with the FK's, cheap and the rear can actually go down to a proper height!!

they perform excellently
 
  An orange one
i was wanting H&R's but im going to get FK's as fred says they are £180 cheaper (by k-tec's prices) and they go down to a fred approved height ;)
 
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
I've just had h&r's on my 172 and it handles superb even the ride is nice,i cant see the point in spending a grand on coilovers for most people as there never going to get used to there limit,like fred sayes the FK's do the job you could have a set of 4 pots with the change
 
  An orange one
i can only find VAG cars on that venom motorsport site?

do you have to ring them up?

also..why do hillpower not list H&R and prices on their website?
 
  Clio 172mk2
yes u have to fone venom up.

hillpower dont list much on his site also he donty reply to emails so ive heard , and my emails to him failed. so u do need to fone him up , some times he`s there on sundays. his prices on the h and rs were best i could find. and his fitting prices were excellent only downside is he needs yer car for 2 days. but been told its good once he`s done it
 
Not sure who thinks Leda is quality kit, its not. In my experience I think it's cheap and poor fitting.....and my bottom mount broke on a rear unit (944, not Clio) while driving around the Nurburgring. In fact it will be on ebay soon as I have replaced it with Koni.

Dave
 
  182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Dont quite see how you can call the kit 'cheap' and 'poor fitting' when the units are custom built to spec and cost over a grand. Koni are entry level compared to the likes of Leda and Bilstein mate.
 
I should also add, that if I was going to buy any suspension kit it would be KW. In terms of quality and fit, they appear to be a cut above. If you put Leda on your car, at some point you will take it off, for whatver reason......rattles, needs a rebuild, rust.

Most of my experience is with Porsche 944 kit, but I can't see it being any different.
 
davyboy said:
I should also add, that if I was going to buy any suspension kit it would be KW. In terms of quality and fit, they appear to be a cut above. If you put Leda on your car, at some point you will take it off, for whatver reason......rattles, needs a rebuild, rust.

Most of my experience is with Porsche 944 kit, but I can't see it being any different.

I must admit i was warned off them for the above reasons when i purchased suspension for the rally car.

Maybe they have improved?
 
  Renault Clio RS ph2
Fred2001Dynamic said:
rear ride height is FAR TOO high even on the lowest setup

hence why we've comissioned Bilstein to redesign it to our specs

Ah ok, but the handling is very good? I have problems with my garage so I can't put them on lowest set-up!
And can you give me some info about your spec and cost?
 
  182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Fred2001Dynamic said:
rear ride height is FAR TOO high even on the lowest setup

hence why we've comissioned Bilstein to redesign it to our specs

Fred, what specs did you guys request...just interested if you specified stuff like damper rates, spring rates, any specific piston tweeks, stroke, strength capabilities etc etc?

PS. Ledas are primarily circuit, not gravel rally unless specified. I'm very confident in the quality of their kits tbh.
 
  Lionel Richie
now i could tell you that info Gary, but i wouldn't want Leda attempting to copy anything!! LOL

specification is as follows:

FRED approved
 
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Yes mattie uk they were fitted at hillpower,he always works on my car,he built an engine for my old car and i have never been anywere else since top bloke.

The reason why nick doesnt have the H&R's on his website is he has only just started using them,and the reason why he probably hasnt replied to peoples emails is because he's very busy and has to do all his own office work aswell has working on cars,

and to the person who said bilstein are far superior they use h&r springs and h&r use bilstein dampers
 
matty w said:
Yes mattie uk they were fitted at hillpower,he always works on my car,he built an engine for my old car and i have never been anywere else since top bloke.

The reason why nick doesnt have the H&R's on his website is he has only just started using them,and the reason why he probably hasnt replied to peoples emails is because he's very busy and has to do all his own office work aswell has working on cars,

and to the person who said bilstein are far superior they use h&r springs and h&r use bilstein dampers

Mate, the reason I asked was I picked mine up from Nick, when he was working on yours. Very nice motor, like what you have done to the engine bay:approve: . Anyway back on topic, how do you find the H&R's now you have had time to test them;)
 
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Mattieuk said:
Mate, the reason I asked was I picked mine up from Nick, when he was working on yours. Very nice motor, like what you have done to the engine bay:approve: . Anyway back on topic, how do you find the H&R's now you have had time to test them;)

alright matt like the name did you buy a set of wheels from my mate at mswuk ?its just that someone seen my car at hillpower then mentioned it to my mate at mswuk,the coilovers are brilliant the ride is firmish but they take the bumps really nice i'd go as far to say the ride is better than standard,and i took it out yesterday for a bit of stick and the handling is bang on i just want to thank nick for another top job,i've changed my wheels since then aswell matt
 
  Lionel Richie
Bilstein pick and mix matty, they use Eibach on most of their race/custom stuff

springs a spring and a dampers a damper LOL!
 
  182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Fred2001Dynamic said:
now i could tell you that info Gary, but i wouldn't want Leda attempting to copy anything!! LOL

specification is as follows:

FRED approved

lol, wasnt after schematics or anything!

I've heard that Ben is coming out with a new ohlins setup that uses a new piston with their lastest relative position sensitivity low ampliture technology, sounds really interesting....just wish i knew what he was talking about half the time lol :)
 
  MKIII 138
i was looking at H&R for the 172cup im v.interested in them. for those that hage fitted them did you get the camber done again once fitted.

btw ive seen some new H&R`s for 172 with remote reservoirs


bet thats got you interested
 
  Lionel Richie
Ben is too clever, fortune say "man from Hong Kong is Velly Cleva, he confuse people with his blain powa, Aiya!"

rifty rive
 
clamp on reserviour on thread, no locking ring for seat, banjo bolts and not internal pathways.......hmm dont like ;).....lol
 
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
meggerman said:
i was looking at H&R for the 172cup im v.interested in them. for those that hage fitted them did you get the camber done again once fitted.

btw ive seen some new H&R`s for 172 with remote reservoirs


bet thats got you interested

I got the camber set up on mine theres not much point having them else,nick at hillpower got the camber set up,he uses a local place mr wheel i think its called,the H&R's ive got fred where identical to the bilteins nick used to use
 
  Lionel Richie
yeah yoz has them on his cup as well, they're very good, but will be much better when the rear is about 30mm lower, i've had his car all week, it handles not bad, room for improvement though
 
  E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Fred2001Dynamic said:
yeah yoz has them on his cup as well, they're very good, but will be much better when the rear is about 30mm lower, i've had his car all week, it handles not bad, room for improvement though

i bet the fuel consumption is a bit different to yours fred
 
  Renault Clio RS ph2
Fred2001Dynamic said:
yeah yoz has them on his cup as well, they're very good, but will be much better when the rear is about 30mm lower, i've had his car all week, it handles not bad, room for improvement though

I think the rear height can give some improvement but isn't so impressive: the Gr.N Clio don't have a rear too low! The Bilstein PSS and H&R can arrive at this set-up?

 


Top