ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best For Cleaning Alloys

Titanium Clio 182
I haven't been looking after my alloys and i need to get rid of those annoying little black dots and the yellow stains on them, what is the best product to use and also what is the best product to protect the alloys from the elements?

Thanks in advance.

Audi TT roadster
i find that auto glym alloy wheel cleaner is the best stuff, you just spray it on and leave it a minute and sponge it off, best to cut up your sponge into smaller bits for best results. or i find using a tea towel or dish cloth usefull.

U/R 200
Try steam cleaners once youve got one you only need to fill em up wiv water. No more stinging finger's wiv cuts in!

Titanium Clio 182
people say you shouldn't use alloy cleaners as it takes of the laquour which is on the wheels, thus leaving the wheels prone to brake dust and tar eating at them. People just say wash them then appy the same polish you appy onto your painted bodywork, onto your wheels.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
I just got myself an alloy brush from Halfords - bucket of warm soapy water - hey presto.

Cheers. You're the alloy man, so I'll maybe try it to remove the baked on sh*t behind the spokes...

Usually I just use hot water with car shampoo and it cleans them up fine - but I did put a couple of layers of NXT wax on them once when they were clean, definately helps.

A lot the alloy cleaners are basically a mild acid and "can" cause problems with the wheel coating if used on a regular basis. Best is to use the wheel cleaner to get the worst off once only, then just wash / maintain with car shampoo, wheel brush, and a coat of wax to help protect the wheel finish.

Clio 182
I use a bucket of hot soapy water (fairy liquid etc) and a toilet brush of all things, i find it ideal for going between the spokes to the inside of the wheel.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Mr Muscle Orange degreaser also works. As probably would most kitchen cleaners like the Fairy Powerspray Fred recommends.

As for Cillit bang I would be wary.....

I bet the kitchen cleaners are probably easier to get and cheaper than perhaps same substances labelled by Autoglym etc.

Muck Off for bikes is now also used for wheel cleaning.

And the washing up brushes you get with the refillable handle and sponge with non scratch pad on are ideal for using wonder wheels and for those really stubborn stained wheels.

Last edited:
Ultimatly the best way is to 'get them clean' and then use a wax on them. This will then enable you to wash them weekly in car wash soap and water without having to use harsh chemicals on them every week. Paint sealants are better than natural waxes as the wheels can get hot which of course would melt a natural wax.

I've used wonderwheels but more recently use pro range products from meguiars and autoglym which work out extremly cheap and very effective. Saying that for realy bad stains you can't beat neat wonderwheels!

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
What do you do though when your flat black wheels are actually covered in bonded on brake dust that even wonderwheels has trouble getting rid of!!! :( took me an hour to clean the outer face of one rim, let alone the inside :S

Take the wheels off as it will be easier to work on, buy some megs clay from halfords and clay the wheels. Alternativly you could try 'soaking' them in a safer product such as megs wheel brightener. When I say soak I mean spray it on and leave it and then replesnish the spray every 5-10 mins!!!

You could aslo try autoglym intensive tar remover.

Lionel Richie
Gary G said:
What do you do though when your flat black wheels are actually covered in bonded on brake dust that even wonderwheels has trouble getting rid of!!! :( took me an hour to clean the outer face of one rim, let alone the inside :S

fairy power spray mate